Horizon Hobbies

Advert

I heard this from a UK model shop today -

"we were notified recently that they are no longer trading in the UK, and if you want to purchase anything from them now, it will have to be direct from Germany. In addition to that, we have just heard that if you have any items that need servicing or repairing, they are going to have to be sent to the USA, as Germany are unable to cope with the numbers! "

If that's all true, it looks like Horizon don't want our custom - sad.

I don't think I am going to worry too much because my view has always been that RC Tx or Rx that gives the slightest glitch is never worth using again and not worth risking some serviceman messing around to try to repair. Therefore just buy a basic 6 channel Tx of reputable make and be prepared to scrap it when the slightest glitch happens and buy a new one. Better than paying for a repair which doesn't work and wrecks a model. Cheaper in the long run and has worked for me.

Hence buying an expensive Tx that is so valuable you just cannot afford to scrap it is never worthwhile in my view.

This may appear potty, but others may feel the same way, that everything I buy and assemble for flight is deemed expendable. It is my hobby, paid for by me, but in a blink of an eye, the equipment or model could be damaged or totally written off. Luckily I have had very few problems, but despite being precious, and enjoyable, the whole kit, to me is expendable. I wouldn't dream of sending stuff back, if I cannot fix it then the bulk goes for spares and the main requirements are replaced. I must add that I have never had a Tx fault, but "after sales" means little when the decision is made to buy. I have dropped Tx and broken sticks and switches and replaced those. But after sales does not affect my choices. Potty maybe

An interesting philosophy but it's well known that most non-abused component failure occurs either close to initial use or after a long service life. While small self-contained components may not be worth servicing, should a proven piece of equipment like a transmitter be scrapped because a single component or circuit board develops a fault? You then expose yourself to the risk of an early life failure or as yet undiscovered software glitch occurring on that new system you replace it with. I would agree that if no fault can be identified there is a much stronger case for disposal.

Edited By Martin Harris on 25/03/2017 23:59:37

Posted by Denis Watkins on 24/03/2017 19:16:38:

This may appear potty, but others may feel the same way, that everything I buy and assemble for flight is deemed expendable. It is my hobby, paid for by me, but in a blink of an eye, the equipment or model could be damaged or totally written off. Luckily I have had very few problems, but despite being precious, and enjoyable, the whole kit, to me is expendable. I wouldn't dream of sending stuff back, if I cannot fix it then the bulk goes for spares and the main requirements are replaced. I must add that I have never had a Tx fault, but "after sales" means little when the decision is made to buy. I have dropped Tx and broken sticks and switches and replaced those. But after sales does not affect my choices. Potty maybe

smiley As our beloved politicians are prone to say ..."I would like to identify myself with the remarks of the previous speaker"

Edited By avtur on 26/03/2017 04:34:02

Posted by Martin Harris on 25/03/2017 23:58:39:

An interesting philosophy but it's well known that most non-abused component failure occurs either close to initial use or after a long service life. While small self-contained components may not be worth servicing, should a proven piece of equipment like a transmitter be scrapped because a single component or circuit board develops a fault? You then expose yourself to the risk of an early life failure or as yet undiscovered software glitch occurring on that new system you replace it with. I would agree that if no fault can be identified there is a much stronger case for disposal.

Edited By Martin Harris on 25/03/2017 23:59:37

Yes I see the point, but one area which has always caused me angst is whether a servo is better with plastic gears or metal. If a servo has had a thump, and stripped a plastic gear it's binned. A metal gear is tougher, and is not such a good abuse marker. And when plastic gears get sloppy, is that not a good marker for had enough for the rest of the components. Perhaps you could look at a single failure in a long hours transmitter as an arbinger of future grief.

Pays yer money, takes yer choice.

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 26/03/2017 19:07:49:

I had just about saved up enough pennies to buy myself an 'E Flite Convergence'. A new flying machine which uses a clever circuit board to convert from hover (as in quadcopter) to forward flight as a standard plane. And looks very good on You Tube.

Now after reading this thread I am running scared. As Roy Orbison used to sing.

One of our club members has one. He had great difficulty on the transition form hover to normal flight and tried getting someone to hand launch it with not perfect results - it wouldn't turn and he crashed it.

Anyway yesterday he had 2 of them. He'd managed to repair the original and apparently HH had replaced it with new. I'm not sure of the circumstances but I saw him have a successful flight with one of them and he succeed in transitions in both directions.

So perhaps the customer service still works for now.

Geoff

Although not a Spektrum owner, I have owned 2 PZ models, one of which is still flying, I am somewhat disappointed at the withdrawal of HH from the UK market.

For one I have seen HH has introduced a lot of innovations into the model market. This has ranged from the extensive number of third party manufacturers who have bundled ARTF models with a Spektrum radio set, at very attractive prices. There is a similar story with 2.4 radio sets, Spektrum being one of the prime drivers of the type, with functionality generally not  available earlier.  for the Spektum price. More recently, the introduction of gyro stabilisation of very small models, which made many of them flyable, constistantly, by the average flier, in addition the same concept has benn used to improve the flight characteristics of other larger types.

In my opinion the signs are not at present good, for the brand as a whole. It really would be a great loss to the average modeller, who may, or may not be a HH customer, for the innovator that presently is HH to disappear. There are presently three very obvious businesses that have driven up standards, availability, whilst achieving at excellent value for money, IMHO these are HK, Frsky, and of course HH.

Edited By Erfolg on 27/03/2017 12:22:49

Edited By Erfolg on 27/03/2017 12:45:34

Withdrawal from a market generally means products are no longer available there - nothing I have read indicates that is the case for HH in the UK at this time. Ultimately it is their right to supply the UK in whatever way they deem most efficient and effective; the only thing that customers who do not like the shutting of the UK offices and the potential knock on effect it may have on CS is to vote with your £££s and buy competitor products.

We are in danger of becoming pedantic as to the perceived understanding and meaning of words and phrases.

I understand that Sig kits are available from sources from within the UK, although not easily obtainable, nor directly supported. In my opinion it is substantially different to the availability of some other items, which are supported via a UK presence. even if delegated to agents, with a comprehensive support network.

I would hope that we all can agree that all of the changes put together does indicate a very different UK scenario in their operations, within the UK.

At present it is not clear to me what the HH position is, other than it appears to opaque, by design or neglect.

It is possible that their warehouse closed some time back etc., which may be indicative to the lower apparent presence in the UK model retail network, and an apparently higher pricing point than in the past (although this could be my perception). It does appear that the support for PZ model spares is much lower than previously, at least for my models.

Time will tell though, what the out come will be. My prediction will be a falling away for Spektrum radios. Who will benefit, if correct, this is even less clear to me. Although Frsky now having UK sales representatives, this could be one step towards the consolidation of the new Sheriff in Town. Just a guess though.