Bmfa adds

bert baker

like most. I have been selling a few items on BMFA

Had a chap wanting to buy a plane, wants to get bank to send cheque and courier to collect when payment has been made,

Turns out he is in America,having seen a scammer alert from another user I put his reply on the adds page, this was taken down by admin. Abuse, he must have complained, but sent another saying he is here on business so has any one had dealings with Donald Peterson.

Advert

Well he may be genuine but if he isn't then others may have had dealings with him/her under another name and so you wouldn't get to know about it.

You are under no obligation as to who you sell to, so you can always decline the deal. Perhaps an exchange of hard cash for goods is the way to go ahead with this particluar deal.

Edited By Ian Jones on 16/02/2017 12:26:16

He may well be genuine - but he is using a method previously used by scammers. They give you a cheque, someone other than them collects. The cheque is then effectively "withdrawn" - the bank won't honour it. Now as I say, it could just be unfortunate that he happens to be doing what scammers do - on the other hand (as Ian says) you don't have to sell to him.

In your position I would tell hime that regretfully - the world being the place it is - you only accept cheques etc from people you know - everyone else is strictly "cash only".

BEB

The BMFA Class I reckon are a waste of time. Either there is something I wanted to buy, or sell, as there is no guarantee like on ebay, or as before, I wanted to buy a Sbach off someone, and he accepted my offer. When I said I will pick it up next day, he said he had sold it to a friend - as he wanted it. Very dishonest.

Then you get the scammers - and as some have found out, you are left minus your goods and also out of pocket.

Unless some action is taken to tighten its structure - I'm not using it.

Posted by Denis Watkins on 16/02/2017 12:27:27:

Bankers drafts are supposed to be impregnable,

Well, not really...

If a bankers draft is a forgery or is stolen then it will bounce - just as a stolen or forged cheque would. The only advantage is that a (genuine) bankers draft will not bounce due to lack of funds, whereas a cheque might.

Edited By John Privett on 16/02/2017 21:12:01

The advce that drafts will bounce after 6 days is wrong.

They can take 6 months before the bank finds that they are FAKE.  I was offered a similar deal a long time ago but contacted the police. The cybercrime officer told me that it can take that long before the bank finds out that it is a forgery. and then they will take the money back from you and if you haven't got it you are in dead trouble.The officer told me that a man in my own village got taken for £5000.

Don't touch this one with a barge pole.

Edited By Peter Miller on 18/02/2017 11:37:57

The BMFA adds certainly aren't a wast of time , I've bought and sold plenty on there without any problems whatsoever.

Firstly don't put your phone number or email address onto the add. This will reduce the chances of a scammer contacting you greatly as only bonafide BMFA members will be able to contact you.

I've read comments from some that they don't receive an email from the site when a personnel message is received? If so check your spam & junk folder as they may be going in there. Failing that just have a look every day or so it's no great task?

If your buying and suspicious about the validity of the item request a photo from a specific angle or part view , most genuine sellers won't mind doing this.

PayPal is a safety net (but certainly not totally infallible) and is very easy to use , exchanging bank details is dangerous and totally unnecessary in this day and age.

Lastly, once contact has been made via the message service why not phone and chat to the buyer / seller? We're all in the same game and it's fairly easy to recognise if someone genuinely knows what he's talking about.

Personally I feel the BMFA would be better off removing the phone number / email section from the adds as it's obvious more than a few undesirables are aware of the site and are looking to take advantage of some who aren't as online savvy as some.

The BMFA classifieds are not a waste of time as I've bought quite a few things of it as well as sold my unwanted bits (Paul you bought something from me via BMFA!). As long as you act on the advice that the BMFA suggest then you have a good chance of not being scammed. I publish my mobile number (I cant always access my emails immediately) on the classifieds and if I get a prospective buyer/seller then I ask them to confirm via the messaging portal.

Justin . The BMFA make a point to inform people not to display their details . So at the end of the day its up to the individual to make sure that they take adequate steps to see that they don't fall prey to con-men . Out of interest I got scammed many years ago . I had advertised for an engine. Chap rang me . He was very knowledgeable (I'd have probably bought more stuff , however I was traveling abroad at the time!.) I transferred funds to him and for a number of weeks I got the runaround. I managed to track him down and fortunately it turned out that the police were aware of him and I agreed to be one of the witnesses in a case against him . Never got called as he pleaded guilty to 200 plus scams and got four years at  HMP (turned out that he had already done something similar in the past ). It taught me a lesson . I am very careful now! (No cheques or drafts )

Edited By Tomtom39 on 18/02/2017 15:58:27

Bert, last year I was selling a model and a buyer contacted me offering exactly the same deal as yours. I was unsure and within a day or two the BMFA published his name as a known scammer. I gave up and sold the model at Wings and Wheels.

I would try using the BMFA classifieds again, but only sell on the condition that buyer collects, cash payment only.

Posted by Peter Miller on 18/02/2017 11:35:03:

The advce that drafts will bounce after 6 days is wrong.

... I was offered a similar deal a long time ago...

Your assertion is potentially confusing, so for the avoidance of doubt:

The cheque clearing regs were changed on 30/11/2007 and introduced "certainty of fate", i.e. after 6 days, the money is yours, even if it is subsequently found that the cheque drawer has insufficient funds or the cheque is fraudulent.

The same applies to drafts and a bank will only issue a draft (i.e. a money order in its own name) if you have the cleared funds to cover it. So a draft cleared after 6 days remains cleared. If, after 6 working days, it is found that the funds backing a draft are 'hookey', then the drawer has the problem, not you, as the funds are cleared to your account.

The ONLY time you will be liable is if it is proved that you are party to said fraud. It might have been different in the olden days, but let's stick with the here and now, eh?

I'm not a big user, but I've bought and sold on the BMFA without problems - all very pleasant transactions, as I recall...