Is it me or is this a rubbish summer or am becoming a grumpy old man!!!

tigerman

Advert

It has been a bit breezy and changeable in July and August, but personally I prefer the low 20s we've been getting to the horrid 30 degree heat we had in May and June. I've still managed to fly at least once a week, one of the benefits of retiring early. Oh, and I do live in the south-east. I think the worst of the rubbish weather has been further north and west.

Posted by Trevor Crook on 24/08/2017 21:24:47:

It has been a bit breezy and changeable in July and August, but personally I prefer the low 20s we've been getting to the horrid 30 degree heat we had in May and June. I've still managed to fly at least once a week, one of the benefits of retiring early. Oh, and I do live in the south-east. I think the worst of the rubbish weather has been further north and west.

You're not wrong !

We got more flying in during last winter than all of this summer.

Posted by Ikura on 24/08/2017 18:17:30:

Yep, have to agree that it is a crap flying summer although I just discovered the Multiplex Heron will fly in just about any wind if pushed hard surprise. I have been trying to thermal it but it doesn't seem to be best suited tor that. Wind it up and let it run free and it does seem to like it. So much for buying it for flat field thermalling. Numbskull decision.

Maybe we will get one of those balmy still autumn's that everyone talks about but hardly ever sees.

Got mine in a thermal earlier in the week, went from 100m to 280m pretty quick with a bit of camber flap.

Weather wise are we all forgetting the 30 deg temps we had earlier in the summer, all ruined when the news started running articles on dried up rivers. Has been a bit short on decent westerlies for sloping though.

???????

We've had nothing but blustery westerly winds for weeks! They haven't stopped me flying but it has influenced the choice of models to take to the field.

It wouldn't be so bad if we could motivate some of the members to walk 100 yards to the bottom pits at our field to use the east-west runway. I quite enjoy practicing crosswind landings but we get a lot of turbulence from the upwind hedge and club buildings which doesn't encourage flying the more precious models.

hot and calm again around here, after cooking a bit too much yesterday I stopped in today. Unfortunately guilt got the better of me and I ended up catching up on the decorating - at least the paint dried quick!

Tomorrow is forecast as being cooler so the WotsWot and Cougar are charged and ready to chuck in the car at a moments notice.

I'm in the SE, and Ive taken some leave. Get SWMBO's jobs done in the morning, siesta in the afternoon, down the workshop around 6 after it's cooled down for a late night.

TBH, I've no complaints at all, never had a planned visit to the field cancelled because of duff weather!

Posted by Ikura on 24/08/2017 18:17:30:

Yep, have to agree that it is a crap flying summer although I just discovered the Multiplex Heron will fly in just about any wind if pushed hard surprise. I have been trying to thermal it but it doesn't seem to be best suited tor that. Wind it up and let it run free and it does seem to like it. So much for buying it for flat field thermalling. Numbskull decision.

Maybe we will get one of those balmy still autumn's that everyone talks about but hardly ever sees.

I maidened my Heron last week and hit a thermal on the first flight, I had to deploy crow braking to get it back to a sensible height. I have found it to be CG sensitive, I use 2200 and 2650mAH batteries and with the bigger one it needs a lot of up trim.

Well it`s been mostly gray today as it was yesterday , But then brightens up when you have got home and settled in .

I did get a fare bit of flying in yesterday .

I flew my New Depron Sipa , My Silver Sipa , My Camo Sipa , And My Guppy,

I wanted to see which flew faster and when it came to my Camo Sipa i forgot to set the rate switch and so i did not have enough control on take off and now it is in pieces.

Ho well i have had it for a long while .

Steve

3 days of glorious sunshine on our new field hot smile d

We seem to have had the same weather pattern for the last decade - a fine spell in May/June. Crappy July/early August. Better weather late August and an 'Indian Summer' in September/October if we're lucky.

It does seem to have been windier this year, but with the prevailing westerlies that just means we've spent more time on the slopes. A bunch of old geezers reclining in the heather, looking like an out-take from "Last of the Summer Wine"!!

We had an awesome BH weekend at my club. I flew 8 of my own models and 3 belonging to other people. I consumed (not me personally, my models) over a gallon of glow fuel and lost count of how many flights i had.

The best part of all was no major casualties were suffered and only 2 models need minor shop work. Not bad at all.