Scam or what ?

fly boy3

Advert

yea its pretty likely. if i get calls claiming to be from XYZ company i never answer any of their questions and tell whoever it is on the phone that i will contact the company myself as i do not give out personal details over received calls.

If you are feeling naughty you could also ask them to prove their identity. That usually gets rid of them

We very rarely get such calls but when my wife receives them she has various approaches to them:

1. Asks them to wait for a bit while she sorts out the children, she then leaves the phone and gets on with her life, returning some 20 minutes or so later by which time they're hung up. (Children left home many years ago!)

2. Asks them to wait whilst she connects the auto recording and tracing software, calls usually end at that point.

3. Tells them that there is a very bad line and promptly puts the 'phone in a metal bin and bangs it for several minutes, calls have ended by the time she stops.

4. Starts asking them questions about themselves and their families, and doesn't give them chance to ask any questions, after about 5 minutes they usually make an excuse and hang up.

5. Says that she's just got to put them on hold whilst she answers another call then places the 'phone next to the radio, calls end very quickly.

My wife does like a challenge!

A so called 'green energy company' have been making a pest of themselves on my land line recently. I Am TPS registered but it seems to not bother them one jot. They use a foreign call centre that withholds its number, and invites you to make contact for further details from a local company. Declining their offer doesn't remove you from their calling list as promised, but you get a repeat call within a week. This went on for half a dozen times. I eventually asked for one of their operatives to contact me and feigning interest, asked for the full contact details of their firm. I thanked them politely and said that I would now be reporting them to the relevant regulating authority, as I was TPS registered and they were breaking the law by cold calling me and that their foreign call centre calls were now harassing me. She claimed that the TPS was no longer in operation and then rang off. No further calls as yet. They're wasting their time anyway, as I make it a rule never ever to do business over the phone or on the doorstep.

Very persistent, aren't they? I once responded in French and they rang off. An hour later I received the same call from a French lady! Now, I just scream "Jenny jowl" - I don't know what it means, but its an expression that my driver used towards traffic light beggars in Delhi, with good effect.

Posted by Percy Verance on 20/03/2018 15:21:03:

I know these callers cannot be UK based, as I'm registered with the TPS. This prevents UK based companies from cold calling you.

Edited By Percy Verance on 20/03/2018 15:25:28

Being registered with the TPS, which I am, does not prevent calls from UK based companies. Over the years I have had several sales/marketing calls and when questioned the caller says that they are working from a list of non TPS registered numbers that they have bought, so cannot be held responsible if it is wrong. Usually the number is withheld of is faked which makes reporting them to the TPS difficult..

I know these callers cannot be UK based, as I'm registered with the TPS. This prevents UK based companies from cold calling you.

You must be joking. TPS does not stop UK callers. I usually ask them if they have heard of the TPS and then they hang up.

When the callers. say that they are from Talk Talk I tell them I am on Sky. Thezy either try to put me through to the "Sky" department or the next caller says they are from Sky.

As far as I can tell TPS does nothing, they can only take action against a company that calls via a UK exchange, when the call is confirmed to be sales and is cold calling. Companies simply say it was a canvassing call to circumvent TPS. I'd be surprised if TPS ever fined anyone. When calls here started to peak at 20 a day I bought a call guardian phone and it all stopped.

Posted by Stuart Coyle on 20/03/2018 18:24:37:

Very persistent, aren't they? I once responded in French and they rang off. .

Some time back I used to regularly get a call with a recorded announcement about winning a free holiday to Florida and to press 2 to get details. I generally hung-up at that point.

Now as I recall the scam was that the holiday (accomodation) was "free", you just had to pay them for your flight to get there - and of course the flights were extortionately priced...

So one time I decided to play along to see what happened. I pressed 2 and after a burst of American-style ring-tone a lady with an American accent answered. She asked me a couple of questions and I answered each one in French. She seemed a bit confused by this but carried on anyway and asked another couple of questions.

Finally she apologised and explained that she didn't understand Spanish. I resisted the temptation to shout, "It's French, you idiot!" at her, instead politely saying, "Quel dommage" (What a shame) and ending the call.

I never received another call from them after that!

Posted by fly boy3 on 21/03/2018 21:12:47:

How does a call guardian phone work, do you have to log all the numbers that you know are ok ? Cheers

Default settings may vary for different call guardian phones. Mine automatically blocked all calls from non UK exchanges, if you expect to receive overseas calls you will need to add then to the allow list. Any other nuisance calls you can add to the block list or block all calls and add ppl you know to the allow list. All new callers will be asked to give their name before your phone will ring, most seem to quit at that point. When you answer a new caller you will be given their name and asked if you want to; add the caller to your allow list, allow this caller once only or add the caller to your block list. Only catch is you have to have caller ID which here costs approx £3 a month.

Just blocking overseas exchanges stopped over 90% of nuisance calls for me.

One other thing I forgot, mine has a built in phone book anyone added to the phone book will be automatically allowed and not have their call intercepted by call guardian.

Edited By Rick Tee on 22/03/2018 08:25:04

Edited By Rick Tee on 22/03/2018 08:51:50

Posted by onetenor on 22/03/2018 04:14:44:

I get calls from people claiming th tI use their call blocking services . I've never heard of them and they are the only nuisance calls I get .They hang up

This is a Scam, and has been reported in the national press

They keep trying until someone more vulnerable continues with the call, and take a credit card payment

For non existent services

When I was young we lived in the Argentine for several years. ( that is where I started modelling) On the way home in 1953 my parents thought about settling in Malaga.

We were walking along a road having been to look at a house when this girl started begging.. My father told her to go away in not very good Spanish which had no effect.

He then told me to make her go away which I did in very good Spanish. Again no effect

So my father insisted that I make her go away so I did in very fluent Spanish swearing.

THis had the desired effect though she did throw half a brick at us but missed.