The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread

Nigel R

Posted by john stones 1 on 14/11/2019 17:57:40:
Posted by Nigel Heather on 14/11/2019 17:44:32:

Plenty were telling us to wait until the 14th as there was some big meeting between the BMFA and the CAA - did it happen, has anything be heard yet?

Cheers,

Nigel

Meeting was set for today, we'll get an update asap I would think.

Whoops, my mistake. I had lost track of the dates, I thought it was the 15th yesterday blush

Cheers,

Nigel

Advert

Posted by Gary Manuel on 11/11/2019 14:19:20:

That's a good idea Martin.

I'm useless with smart phones, but I'll try to do the same.

I have a hard copy of the exemption with me which I showed to fellow club mates. They promptly took photos of it with their iphones

Posted by cymaz on 15/11/2019 13:55:56:
Posted by Gary Manuel on 11/11/2019 14:19:20:

That's a good idea Martin.

I'm useless with smart phones, but I'll try to do the same.

I have a hard copy of the exemption with me which I showed to fellow club mates. They promptly took photos of it with their iphones

Club hut is where our copies will be

Looks like the buddy box question has been answered in our favour - from Andy Symons on FB...

"Productive CAA meeting yesterday. No exemption required for buddy box flights. The CAA fully accept the BMFA position that the person holding the slave TX is neither the operator or remote pilot.

Of course the aircraft will need a valid Op Id on it and the person on the master TX must hold a competency."

Posted by robert feltham on 15/11/2019 15:37:14:

Reading all of this and looking at all the hoops to jump through now I for one will be selling all my gear and moving to another hobby. I'm just fed up with it all I'm afraid. Flying RC for over 40 years. Hobby ruined by so called drones.

Do you have anything decent that you want to sell?

Use the Classified Ads section on here and those who aren't going to give up on the hobby might be able to pick up a bargain. yes

Posted by MattyB on 15/11/2019 15:24:47:

Looks like the buddy box question has been answered in our favour - from Andy Symons on FB...

"Productive CAA meeting yesterday. No exemption required for buddy box flights. The CAA fully accept the BMFA position that the person holding the slave TX is neither the operator or remote pilot.

Of course the aircraft will need a valid Op Id on it and the person on the master TX must hold a competency."

Cool,,, I pleased with that,,, but I couldn’t find it on face book

Posted by bert baker on 15/11/2019 15:46:39:

That’s good news. Something else to report at the club meetin ( no G .....it’s nearly 4:15clock)

Reading all of this and looking at all the hoops to jump through now I for one will be selling all my gear and moving to another hobby. I'm just fed up with it all I'm afraid. Flying RC for over 40 years. Hobby ruined by so called drones.

What hoops are those then?

£9 and if you need to answer a multiple choice quiz.

Great news, well done folks.

Robert - really? We all wish we didn't have to do this but the hoops are simple and easy, the cost is trivial in comparison to what we spend on models, and the hobby will carry on pretty much the same, it's definitely not "ruined". It would be a shame to give it all up after 40 years.

Come on Rob....if you have an A or equivalent, you just pay £9 to register with the CAA. Which you could probably do through the club at renewal time. How much more trouble is it to write a cheque for an extra £9?

Nothing has changed for anyone already flying apart from the register fee, which is done for you!

Posted by cymaz on 15/11/2019 16:16:40:

Come on Rob....if you have an A or equivalent, you just pay £9 to register with the CAA. Which you could probably do through the club at renewal time. How much more trouble is it to write a cheque for an extra £9?

Quite right

Could you write a cheque to me for £9 if it's not too much trouble?

You don't get anything in return, of course devil

Posted by bert baker on 15/11/2019 15:46:39:

Sorry, it was posted in the BMFA Achievement Scheme FB Group, so it may not be visible unless you are a member of that.

I called the CAA and when asked about tuition the chap said everyone needs to take the test.

Then I had a reply to an email I'd sent a few days previous to the CAA and they confirmed no test needed for those under tuition as PIC is the instructor.

Temp agency call handlers reading from a script I suspect.

I don’t believe statements like this.

Believe it Matey.......!! I have already sold some models, I have not renewed my club fees, and am looking at doing something else. I love cycling, I do it every day, so will spend the money on bikes, or an old motorbike...

The flying part of the hobby has always been the lesser interest for me, apart from the Helis, so I am not that bothered about it.

If I want to build a model I will, but that will be it.

I will still follow this forum, cos it is great and full of good people. heart

Anyone fancy a nice unflown Cessna 120 ??????

D.D

As club sec. my job has been to collect the £9.00 per head from our 40 or so members. So far, not one member has whinged about it, and I have collected virtually all of it ready to send off. The competence test has turned out to be a non event, with several trainees having already gained their pass certificate. Non-event really.