The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread

Nigel R

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 18/11/2019 10:56:05:
Posted by Chris Berry on 18/11/2019 10:47:01:

My issue is that when you fly a normal IC aircraft, say a WOT4 or Acrowot or Bullet type sports model that's 10 years old, well flown and oil covered. It has no hatches or canopies etc, then how long will a label last?. Its flown all year, winter and summer, is sprayed with cleaner and wiped down at the end of every session. I can't see it lasting long.

Apparently in Germany the number has to be on a stamped metal plate fixed to the model, that would be fuel proof.

But in reality you could always just stick the number on this type of model and replace as required, or even stamp /engrave it on the undercarriage.

That's a fair point. Engraving/marking on the UC isn't a bad idea.

We have a few non 'A' members who are not on-line, don't use mobile phones etc so are not registered with the BMFA portal and will have no access to the BMFA test. I seem to remember seeing somewhere that a paper based option via clubs will be available but can't recall exactly where. Any ideas chaps? Only I'm bound to be asked.

Posted by Steve J on 18/11/2019 10:57:34:
Posted by Steve J on 18/11/2019 10:32:13:

BMFA online test is now available.

I have now done both the CAA and BMFA online tests. "Why have the BMFA developed their own online test?" is now in the top three things that I don't understand about registration and testing. I would advise everybody to do the CAA test.

Having done the NATS, CAA and BMFA tests to see what its all about. I think the BMFA one is by far the best option and most suited to aeromodellers and if for no other reason than the CAA is delegating responsibility to the national associations and hopefully this will progress further in coming months.

Posted by Cuban8 on 18/11/2019 11:06:43:

We have a few non 'A' members who are not on-line, don't use mobile phones etc so are not registered with the BMFA portal and will have no access to the BMFA test. I seem to remember seeing somewhere that a paper based option via clubs will be available but can't recall exactly where. Any ideas chaps? Only I'm bound to be asked.

I've advised our members to contact the BMFA directly for advice on that. We have 92 members , the oldest being 90 and only one (not the oldest) has no email address which isn't too bad.

Whether all are signed up to the BMFA portal is another matter of course.

Posted by Steve J on 18/11/2019 10:57:34:
Posted by Steve J on 18/11/2019 10:32:13:

BMFA online test is now available.

I have now done both the CAA and BMFA online tests. "Why have the BMFA developed their own online test?" is now in the top three things that I don't understand about registration and testing. I would advise everybody to do the CAA test.

With respect I do find it strange that you declare you don't understand something then promptly advise people based on your declared lack of understanding.

It is quite simple, really, very many members would prefer to do all the registration and competency requirements through the BMFA which is enough of a reason, it also means we can tailor the test somewhat to be a bit more relevant to model flying and therefore make more sense to some. We can also make it available off line to clubs and examiners too.

It also demonstrates quite clearly to the CAA/DfT that we are more than capable of handling the DMARES requirements which will come in useful in the coming months.

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 18/11/2019 11:24:30

Posted by Cuban8 on 18/11/2019 11:06:43:

Further info will be going out to clubs on this. However a very easy thing is at a club night go along with a laptop and sit them down for the test.

As an examiner, I've decided to do the tests [camera equipped and standard] to see what's involved and passed them first time with no research and a little logical thinking [an indication of how straightforward they are, not my ability.]

If I need to test a club member as per your statement above, how would I administer the off line version?

Edit: Posts overlapped...

Edited By Martin Harris on 18/11/2019 11:28:58

Posted by Martin Harris on 18/11/2019 11:27:27:

As an examiner, I've decided to do the tests [camera equipped and standard] to see what's involved and passed them first time with no research and a little logical thinking [an indication of how straightforward they are, not my ability.]

If I need to test a club member as per your statement above, how would I administer the off line version?

Edit: Posts overlapped...

Edited By Martin Harris on 18/11/2019 11:28:58

Will be emailing all examiners in the next day or so, but basically the same as you do an A cert.

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 18/11/2019 11:22:20:

Further info will be going out to clubs on this. However a very easy thing is at a club night go along with a laptop and sit them down for the test.

Exactly what I am planning on doing at our clubs fees night next month. Seems a logical solution.

Posted by PeterF on 18/11/2019 11:52:48:

Exactly what I am planning on doing at our clubs fees night next month. Seems a logical solution.

One possible obstacle to this, could be that the CAA system sends a verification email which must be replied to prior to beginning the test. If the system checks the email address for uniqueness, it may not allow a club laptop to be used for testing multiple candidates. Presumably, the email address forms part of each applicant's data - it is certainly where the Flier ID is sent to.

This may have been considered and may not be an issue with the BMFA online test, but it needs looking into.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 18/11/2019 12:14:27

Posted by Gary Manuel on 18/11/2019 12:11:33:

One possible obstacle to this, could be that the CAA system sends a verification email which must be replied to prior to beginning the test. If the system checks the email address for uniqueness, it may not allow a club laptop to be used for testing multiple candidates. Presumably, the email address forms part of each applicant's data - it is certainly where the Flier ID is sent to.

This may have been considered and may not be an issue with the BMFA online test, but it needs looking into.

Not an issue if doing the BMFA test or registering through the BMFA

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 18/11/2019 12:17:55:
Posted by Gary Manuel on 18/11/2019 12:11:33:

Not an issue if doing the BMFA test or registering through the BMFA

Another good reason for doing it through BMFA then wink

Forgive me, but just to get this straight. As the club's memb sec I have access to all our club's members' profiles via the portal so will it be possible for a member who has no email address or internet access to sit with me and take the test via the portal, presumably at his membership record?  How about over the 'phone?

Where will the pass info and op number be sent?

Might work for one or two but there's no way a few of the old timers will be getting to a club night for various reasons.

Thanks.

Edited By Cuban8 on 18/11/2019 12:59:55

Posted by Philip Lewis 3 on 18/11/2019 13:09:34:

Here maybe?

Thanks, a bit confusing, could not find a link anywhere on the BMFA main site and following completing the "Sample" test you get an e mail that says

"Congratulations you have passed the competency test, you answered 19 out of 20 questions correctly"

Mind you from what I can see the questions are exactly the same anyway.

Only 10 questions in the live test.