The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread

Nigel R

Posted by Richard Acland on 18/11/2019 16:31:20:

Tomorrow evening we have our club AGM where we will be advising members on the new legislation and how to register. I know for a fact that two club members have no computer or e-mail address. Is there any way at the moment that they can register.

Take a laptop and ask them to do the BMFA online test at **LINK** so they have a recognised competency then they can register via the BMFA when they renew their BMFA memerbship at the club night.

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 18/11/2019 16:38:35:

Tomorrow evening we have our club AGM where we will be advising members on the new legislation and how to register. I know for a fact that two club members have no computer or e-mail address. Is there any way at the moment that they can register.

Take a laptop and ask them to do the BMFA online test at **LINK** so they have a recognised competency then they can register via the BMFA when they renew their BMFA memerbship at the club night.

Having had a look at this they still require an E-mail address to take the test

Posted by Richard Acland on 18/11/2019 16:48:09:
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 18/11/2019 16:38:35:

Having had a look at this they still require an E-mail address to take the test

paper versions of the test will be made available to club examiners and club officials, alternatively take a laptop to the club meeting and sit them down, use your own or a club officials email address then you can access the certificate.

Also club administrators can add CAA registration for those without email addresses on the portal just as they can add BMFA membership.

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 18/11/2019 17:01:41

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 18/11/2019 16:51:27:

And you have to go on the CAA websites to agree with the privacy and terms of use................ doh

They were sent to club secretaries and chairmen last week, just a matter of printing them off so members can read them, if they agree they pay the £9, if they don't they wont pay.

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 18/11/2019 16:59:36:

And you have to go on the CAA websites to agree with the privacy and terms of use................ doh

They were sent to club secretaries and chairmen last week, just a matter of printing them off so members can read them, if they agree they pay the £9, if they don't they wont pay.

Ah as sec I got them, so members don't have to go online and each tick a box, thanks.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 18/11/2019 17:06:36:
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 18/11/2019 16:59:36:

Ah as sec I got them, so members don't have to go online and each tick a box, thanks.

No, if they are renewing through the club I would just make a couple of copies available for them to read and perhaps add something like Add something along the lines of “I have read the BMFA and CAA Privacy policies and agree that my personal data can be shared with the BMFA and CAA for the purposes of CAA Registration” with a tick box on club application forms.

For the record the only data that is sent to the CAA is  First Name, Surname, Address Date of Birth and email address (if members have one) 

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 18/11/2019 17:23:42

You could always set up an e-mail address for anyone without one using your computer and eventually give them the details in case they want to have their own computer or phone. (obviously tell them to change the password to something else at that stage )

Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 18/11/2019 19:25:32:

Another of our members completed the "test" today and got there "FLY" number.

He was also invited to pay £9.00, which he did, and is now the proud owner of an operators number.

Feedback? "Piece of cake". Cant see what all the fuss is about!.

I just don't understand why on earth BMFA members are chomping at the bit to pay this lousy air tax 2 months earlier than they have to.....

Posted by Steve J on 18/11/2019 15:44:43:
Posted by Ron Gray on 18/11/2019 15:33:04:

As a matter of interest, following a successful completion of the BLMA competency test how long does the resultant licence last for?

Combined with ORS4 1331 it exempts you from 94F until the 30th June.

Doesn’t that just refer to the exemption if you hold a valid basic proficiency cert not the latest BMFA on line test? But if not then why do the BMFA test when the CAA one gives a 3 year licence?

I just took the BMFA online test to see what all the fuss was about.

My Registration Competency Certificate which I have just downloaded says that the Certificate Number is %RESULT_ID%. My name and the the date overlays the "is awarded to" text and indicates that the certificate is for Model Aircraft which, as I fly mostly multirotors makes me wonder whether the certificate is relevant in any case

I am not impressed

Posted by Ron Gray on 18/11/2019 20:54:34:

As a matter of interest, following a successful completion of the BLMA competency test how long does the resultant licence last for?

Doesn’t that just refer to the exemption if you hold a valid basic proficiency cert not the latest BMFA on line test? But if not then why do the BMFA test when the CAA one gives a 3 year licence?

The fact is the RCC which is also a 3 year validity is just as likley to be accepted for the full 3 years as the CAA test.

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 18/11/2019 21:29:32:
Posted by Ron Gray on 18/11/2019 20:54:34:

The fact is the RCC which is also a 3 year validity is just as likley to be accepted for the full 3 years as the CAA test.

Sorry to push on this one Andy, but I do like clarity! The CAA cert / licence is definitely for 3 years. At this moment in time if you go through the BMFA route do you also get a 3 year licence? Without being too blunt, yes or no?

Posted by Bob Burton on 18/11/2019 21:29:12:

I just took the BMFA online test to see what all the fuss was about.

My Registration Competency Certificate which I have just downloaded says that the Certificate Number is %RESULT_ID%. My name and the the date overlays the "is awarded to" text and indicates that the certificate is for Model Aircraft which, as I fly mostly multirotors makes me wonder whether the certificate is relevant in any case

I am not impressed

When you start the test the second question is "Do you fly a model aircraft or drone with a camera attached - YES or NO"

If you reply "NO" you get model aircraft related questions and the "Model Aircraft" certificate.

If you reply "YES" the questions include some perhaps more MR related questions and you end up with a "Camera equipped Model Aircraft and Drones" certificate.

I did both - but the "camera version" is now the only one that shows on my membership as it covers both.

Hope that helps.

Dick

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 18/11/2019 23:04:07:
Posted by GONZO on 18/11/2019 22:05:42:

Have we had any clarification as to the airspace and site requirements for model aircraft for the first half of 2020? Does the A3 site requirement apply and what about public open spaces especially with footpaths?

Nothing has changed, carry on as you were.

Andy,

Do you mean carry on using the less onerous and restrictive BMFA site and distance guide lines or use the CAP 1789 distance requirements as shown in the table on page 32? (model aircraft fall into site/airspace requirements category A3)

If its carry on using the BMFA distance guidelines when does CAP 1789 site/airspace requirements, specifically A3 which pertain to model aircraft, come into force?

Posted by Jason-I on 18/11/2019 19:59:57:
Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 18/11/2019 19:25:32:

Another of our members completed the "test" today and got there "FLY" number.

He was also invited to pay £9.00, which he did, and is now the proud owner of an operators number.

Feedback? "Piece of cake". Cant see what all the fuss is about!.

I just don't understand why on earth BMFA members are chomping at the bit to pay this lousy air tax 2 months earlier than they have to.....

Because they can fella, and we all get on with having "FUN", and not pontificating endlessly about a simple process.