Winter is here....who's been flying?

4 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

I’m holding off cutting our grass for the next few weeks, but based on yesterday’s flying it was still ok.

Don't have the benefit of tarmac so the small edf's just do great impressions of manic ground squirrels Perhaps there is better elsewhere 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrumpyGnome said:

It's horrible taking home a treasured plane in pieces ....

Try the 3 1/2 hours of reporting a lost model on a Sunday, CAA, BMFA, DoT and to cap it pilot error plus not yet found the model (good thing really as clearly it met the ground without incident!). 

• Sad 1

Thanks David - I think the PZ Spitfire will ultimately be repairable, but just  in case she's not I've already ordered a replacement in the form of the Flightline 1200mm Spitfire IX. I really should have got that one when I bought the big sister 1600mm version a couple of years ago, which is just a bit too large for my local club field.

First flight with the Acromaster since October , on new NX8. No problem. Perfect flying conditions. Frosty grass. Full sun . No wind. Good to get out as only managed 3 times since early October cos of weather. Others out suffered somewhat including a nib Wildcat which crashed on take off. Sure the problem was elevator horn fracturing (old thin plastic) . Motor burnt out too !👿👿👿😱😱😱😱😥😥😥

Flew the flapped FX707 again yesterday. Cold but sunny and a surprisingly gusty breeze from the north. A bad direction for my field as it down wind of a big stand of full height trees.

Edited to cut out the bits where my hat cam was not pointing at the plane!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zovveh20TZw

Had to keep to a small but slightly higher part of the field as the rest is still very muddy under the frost crust. 😉

6 hours ago, Jolly Roger said:

And would you believe I stumbled into a thermal with my sailplane? Enough to gain a 100m of height.  And I thought “winter thermals” were just sensible undergarments made by Damart.

Budumm tssss. 🤣

IMG_9645.jpeg

Reminds me how I was once admonished by an ex-RAF chap in our club when my glider wasn't doing much one winter day. He flew Meteors in the 1950s and told me in no uncertain terms that "there are thermals every day of the year!".

On 14/01/2024 at 14:28, PDB said:

Slightly frustrating start to yesterdays session, my OS46 equipped ever reliable Boomerang dead sticked on its first flight and after landing I noticed fluid dripping out of the fuselage.

Found the fuel tank bung had worked loose and emptied the tank into the fuselage.

Got to the bottom of why this happened and what I had done wrong. I put together the bung assembly wrong, on further inspection I've found a recess on one side of the rear cap for the nut to locate in, I had this cap in the wrong way round. Duh!

image.png.5f5d14e70855a1368e9fbd513cf4122e.png

• Haha 1

Just a comment on the clevis-horn that failed. Polymers tend to fail at low or warm temperatures. Compared with metallic items their range of temperature viability is quite narrow. Also as mentioned the structural viability also tends to change with age, due to many things, from leaching of plasticers, photon damage (not normally a problem with models, although plastic gutter/drainpipes etc). Never mind "environmental stress cracking" that can happen with some of the solvents we like to use.

On the face of it, there is not a lot going for plastics, in reality they are great for much of we do.