Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?

My local club has closed our field as of today and until further notice. A sensible move and one that I agree with. Quite apart from the 'no more than two people' and 'family members only' public health instructions from the government, our site can be seen from the surrounding roads and having a dozen or so blokes hanging about together after travelling against the rules, or even a solitary flyer, will not endear us to the public or authorities - 'Sports Direct style'. Might wind up with other consequences further down the line for our landlord.

The government's instructions are quite clear about leaving one's house and what is permitted and I'm afraid model flying, as wonderful as it is does fall into a non-essential category.  Please abide by the rules. Field maintenance is going to be a problem.

Nothing from my other club at the moment but It'll come.

Edited By Cuban8 on 24/03/2020 09:00:08

Cuban, I get what you say. In the case of an individual arguably flying a model from the back or front garden, with an emphasis on being alone, or attracting others, should not be a problem.

When I lived in Cumbria, I was essentially alone, in a community where probably 200 or individuals lived, there were days when i saw no one. Under these circumstances, technically flying there could have been in breech of Boris, in practice, it is not what Boris is worried about. It is those who know better, and others who are selfish, with respect to others well being.

Our club did close the field, about 30 mins before Boris essentially did.

Here however, on the coast, I am surprised how many people there are about, on the beach, promenade and sand dunes.. Perhaps there needed to be an instruction for all hotels to shut. We are going for a walk later after I have cut the lawn at the rear of the house. Just for information i will post if there has been any change. According to my son-in-law, the beach was crowded on Saturday, when he thought to take their dog for a walk.

Edited By Erfolg on 24/03/2020 09:53:16

All flying at our club is cancelled until further notice.

I ran up some petrol planes that hadn’t had a run for several months. Just to keep the carb diaphragms from drying out and perishing. It also means that I’ve killed a patch of lawn that now won’t need mowing while I’m off !

By the end of this we’ll have the best maintained models in history 

Edited By cymaz on 24/03/2020 10:15:36

I'm sure there will be something official from BMFA pretty soon, but the problem we face is the fact that unnecessary travel is the one that for the most part will get us. Just popping into the flying field on the way back from essential shopping, either by car or on foot is not going to be acceptable. The instruction is to stay at home - don't draw attention to ourselves. There is so much more at stake....model flying doesn't even register on any level of concern TBH.

In terms of the whole country, my guess is that whilst the many will abide by the rules, others will see themselves as 'special cases', not to be inconvenienced by the restrictions (traffic news this morning reported a five mile queue of traffic on the M1 after a lorry collision) and even tougher restrictions will be put into place if a significant improvement to the infection rate is not seen in the coming weeks.

Edited By Cuban8 on 24/03/2020 10:25:03

I've just received the BMFA email saying not to go flying as it's a non-essential activity. Anyone wondering whether they can or should sneak out only needs to watch the reporting and statistics presentation on the BBC.

Please stay at home, I'm in the official 'at risk' groups so I'd appreciate it if you all try NOT TO KILL ME. Not for myself so much but my daughter would be awfully upset.

I have a nasty feeling that the Chinese easing of restrictions will see a spread of the virus, which will in turn spread antibodies in those who recover thus developing herd immunity over a wider area.

Several items of news are key, in my opinion;

First, what transpires in the wider PRC when Wuhan restrictions are lifted. Presently the new cases in China are imported, with the slight relaxation of international transport restrictions.

Second, what happens in Italy over the next week. It will show us what will happen across Europe. Most countries are going the same way as Italy, with lockdown coming several weeks too late to really keep the thing contained.

Interesting times. Stay safe and sane everyone, keep the projects on the go at home, keep yourself busy and keep your mind active.

Like most people on here, I will - reluctantly - follow the new rules.

What I cannot understand is why public transport was not closed down a week or so ago. Clearly, places like London Underground, over-crowded buses and trains are going to spread illnesses like this far faster than anything else.

When I was about to retire, a few years back, I joked with the wife that I wanted to buy a place in the middle of nowhere! She is now beginning to understand where I was coming from!

We ended up compromising, and live in an almost rural location - but not quite rural enough to escape Boris' Ban!

The appalling weather over the winter has forced us into semi-isolation since before Christmas. Now the weather has finally broken, it looks like we are going to be stuck at home for another 6 months (at least, I reckon!).

Typical!

angry

--

Pete

Bob, this may be a double hump experiment as suggested by the maths department of Cambridge University.

As opposed to to the y=C (c being the NHS max capability), that we are shown, although I guess that is for simplicity, the reality is that they hope to create a series of undulations, just under the capability. Perhaps that is where the 3 weeks comes from.

From my observations so far there is little hope that enough of the British public are responsible enough or compliant enough to have anything like the control required to achieve the undulating wave effect.

The last time I went to the Supermarket, I was surprised of how many of the Snow Flake generation were there, and how their trollies were piled up full of Pizza (frozen) and other stuff, I guess they were self isolating. As for the individuals with two trollies.

My present concern, now is about delivery slots, will any come free? The second when will the panic buying cease? As surely people are running out of storage space? Although I did read that all chest type freezers were sold out at the week end.

well typical! just looked at the weather forecast and it's going to be sunny flying weather for a while and was looking forward to getting some flying time in and now fully restricted.

could flying be regarded and necessary for medical reasons (sanity/ metal health)? enlightened

This virus is here to stay no matter what we do and unfortunately we all need to catch it to build up Immunity and hopefully not succumb to it in the process. All we are doing is lowing the amount of people who have it at one time so the medical facilities are not completely overwhelmed.

Well off to walk the dog she is stairing at me with that look and doesn't give to hoots about it all (so is ignorance bliss??)

I think you are right Erf. As for deliveries, I compiled orders at both Tesco and Sainsbury over a week ago but neither showed delivery or click'n'collect slots available in the three weeks displayed. I checked back every day and on Sunday saw that all slots for Monday were available at Sainsbury's. My cats and I are now set up for around three weeks, the only exception being for milk. I can't see the panic buying lasting more than another week, I know people have been buying up deep freezers but even they have a limited capacity!

We thought we had a slot identified, probably on Saturday or Sunday, but had a problem placing the order. Slot lost. By Sunday, all the click and collect slots had gone, previously there were many available.

My wife does a check first thing every morning, there is nothing, most finish on the 1st Apri. I just wonder how much of this issue is regional. I have wondered if some have seen the home deliveries as a way of avoiding queuing in super markets, perhaps even avoiding multiple buy purchases.

As many of you on here, l have started the finishing of a model that is almost finished, also I have been maintaining some of the models that I have not flown for some time.

I seem to have a lot of models, the individual status and Tx settings on rate switches, I have forgotten. I could usefully fill out the details in a small hard backed note book, of the type I used when a Glider Guider. Of course, I no longer seem to have such a note book, now I cannot go and buy one. I suspect it would take a day or two to make adequate notes, plus a day of thinking of a useful format.

My major project is now pretty much on hold, as I need to get to Toolstation and also wait for a motor from Hong Kong.

I now have time on my hands, just need to fill it usefully.

My wife is grumpy, being denied Golf, Bowls, and going and browsing around the shops.

I console myself, in it is better to have time than, you know where I am going.