Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?

From the information I've seen it would appear that the virus can survive for several hours on hard surfaces so your scenario of being able to pass it on through things like gates, combination locks, chairs left at the field sounds entirely plausible. It's why the bus companies are giving advice about the bits on the bus that people commonly touch such as hand rails and the like.

Posted by john stones 1 on 20/03/2020 07:17:15:

It says 72 hrs on things like steel, guess it varies on your google search.

We're all tough guys, knock lumps off each other over stupid stuff on here, be careful, you'll never forgive yourself if you take something home.

With all my planning and preparation to go out flying John, I never thought of that one.

Many thanks for that. Going out now needs very careful consideration.

That's the thing though - for every case which has been diagnosed or tested positive it is estimated that there is at least on, possibly even two orders pf magnitude more undiagnosed cases, That's what the data from China and Italy has shown - where the number of positively identified cases on a given day can be compared with the number of people subsequently found to have had the virus at that time.

Posted by leccyflyer on 20/03/2020 08:41:48:

That's the thing though - for every case which has been diagnosed or tested positive it is estimated that there is at least on, possibly even two orders pf magnitude more undiagnosed cases, That's what the data from China and Italy has shown - where the number of positively identified cases on a given day can be compared with the number of people subsequently found to have had the virus at that time.

You mean that there might be twelve cases in SuffolKcrook

I wiped the lock down on entering and leaving, then washed my hands. Wipes went in a bag that I took home and binned. Can't be too careful and yes, we all need to look after ourselves and others.

Chairs, tables etc should be OK if you just touch your own that's been out in the elements for a while before use surely? Daft thing is, I went to a shop on the way home, which didn't have automatic doors. Now that is a high risk! Washing started again afterwards.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 20/03/2020 09:29:08

Posted by Peter Miller on 20/03/2020 09:03:00:
Posted by leccyflyer on 20/03/2020 08:41:48:

You mean that there might be twelve cases in SuffolKcrook

I mean that nobody really has any real idea of how many people are infected in Suffolk, or in your own club. So imagining that the fact there are only four confirmed cases in Suffolk means that you can have a false sense of security that it is vanishingly unlikely that anyone will have touched the hard surfaces at your club is exactly the sort of thing that should be avoided.

In the case of an order of magnitude underestimation from what you presented that would make 40 cases in Suffolk, whilst for two orders of magnitude it would be 400. The reality is that we just don't know for sure. You'll have seen the results of that sort of analysis a couple of weeks ago when with in the order of a hundred confirmed cases the government were warning that the likelyhood was of 5,000 -10,000 actual cases out there.

Edited By leccyflyer on 20/03/2020 09:42:53

Posted by Gary Manuel on 20/03/2020 09:08:07:

I wiped the lock down on entering and leaving, then washed my hands. Wipes went in a bag that I took home and binned. Can't be too careful and yes, we all need to look after ourselves and

Well done Gary. The trouble is finding any sterilising wipes or sprays to use ! All cleaning sterilising items shelves at local stores are bare here in south east , not a piece of soap to be found! Lady on the checkout said to us "I wonder what people did for washing before this ,didn't they know about soap" smiley

Posted by Engine Doctor on 20/03/2020 10:11:34:
Posted by Gary Manuel on 20/03/2020 09:08:07:

I wiped the lock down on entering and leaving, then washed my hands. Wipes went in a bag that I took home and binned. Can't be too careful and yes, we all need to look after ourselves and

Well done Gary. The trouble is finding any sterilising wipes or sprays to use ! All cleaning sterilising items shelves at local stores are bare here in south east , not a piece of soap to be found! Lady on the checkout said to us "I wonder what people did for washing before this ,didn't they know about soap" smiley

Must admit, I only had baby wipes (didn't do any panic buying) but the way I see it, they are better than nothing.

I have a large box of hospital style blue gloves from Screwfix which I use when using cyno (wonder why) so very useful at the moment for gates padlocks et al.

Our club has cancelled club days and access to clubhouse (big steel box with windows) but advise that members can fly at their own risk. Four of us yesterday morning, light wind, big sun, perfect.

Coffee chat, two metres apart with our backs to the wind. Down wind cows in next field didn't look too happy.

As the OP when I announced, just a few days ago, the decision that our club had decided to close it's field, the post was met with a barrage of negative comments like " stupid " and " utterly ludicrous " .

Well, is it me, or have the posts become a little more sanguine in the past day or so? Now your fretting over wiping gates and locks, wiping everything down with anti bacterial wipes, and wearing gloves, standing up wind from others.

All I can say is good luck fellers, I hope we are all here after its all over to reminisce about it.

We are not fretting just using common sense to remain safe. Do you sterilise your mail before you open it, how many hands have touched it. Probably more dangerous than standing in the middle of a field. The wind comment was meant to be tongue in

cheek

Firstly I wear gloves now when taking the letters out of the letterbox, these are now left until the following day. In the case of an IKEA delivery we had on Thursday, I opened the boxes, removed the items, then immediately took the boxes to our outside waste bins.

I remove the gloves as per surgeons, so my hands do not touch the outside of the gloves. Again the gloves are left to the next day in most instances.

I did not mention the hand washing, took it for granted.

Are these methods virus proof, probably not, although much better than just hoping.

Edited By Erfolg on 20/03/2020 16:52:15

Folk taking driving lessons, groups of joggers, traffics heavy, Suns out, but been a cold un.

Got some gardens done today, MOT in April, couple of my tyres look iffy. dont know

Extra hour of daylight coming soon, looking like my own chair, no brainer only me used it, and a spray of some strong stuff for me, question is Funky Cub, but I'll need some fuel run through first, or the Extra, been a while funky Cub I reckon, colds a lot better. wink

Sterilise mail, nope easy to wash yer hands at home.

Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 20/03/2020 20:52:22:

Things have got so bad we have banned tongues when kissing other club members.

Thats funny I had an email today from a French friend in Brest. Seems the Departement Finnistere has issued guidlines amongs which are " when seeing a friend in the street please do not hug him, shake hands, embrace, or kiss." From my fifteen years experience of living in France I just know they will find this so difficult!