Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?

Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 20/03/2020 13:04:18:

As the OP when I announced, just a few days ago, the decision that our club had decided to close it's field, the post was met with a barrage of negative comments like " stupid " and " utterly ludicrous " .

Well, is it me, or have the posts become a little more sanguine in the past day or so? Now your fretting over wiping gates and locks, wiping everything down with anti bacterial wipes, and wearing gloves, standing up wind from others.

All I can say is good luck fellers, I hope we are all here after its all over to reminisce about it.

I think it is just that people are gradually coming to recognise how serious this actually is, which will ramp up in the coming weeks when we more than likely move to a full blown lock down. I'm reconcilig that to myself by comparing it to the foot and mouth outbreak which wiped out a whole flying season for a lot of people. Fingers crossed we can get through this and the social distancing might ease off in three months or so, but it could last longer than that.

Could be that it;s a time for an extended winter building season and time make progress on some of those long neglected projects with the intention of maybe being able to fly them later in the year.

Right now, I am smiling at the reporting of the 'severe measures' imposed last night with the closure of clubs, pubs and bars etc. That is just the start of it if the controls currently imposed here in France are anything to go by. Briefly, I can only leave my house for a few specific reasons, such as food shopping, go to essential work or visit a doctor. I can only leave the garden for some exercise such as a brief walk close in proximity to the house. No cycling, no angling, no walks in the woods. No visiting friends or family for a meal etc.

If the measures here are adopted in the UK, as they surely must soon if lockdown is to have any effect, then any preparations being made at club fields etc for continuing leisure activities are optimistic in the extreme.

Stay safe, folks.

Pete

That's the impression I get, it will be sooner rather than later that a full on lockdown is implemented here. There is a chance that will work, though undoubtedly there will be some who rebel against those measures, the general population having folk memory of wartime restrictions and the necessity of those, ought to recognise the seriousness of the situation.

What I don't understand though is where is the risk in going out into the countryside, either walking or cycling, where if you see anyone else at all you can easily keep a distance of several metres away? By restricting even that kind of activity you are surely going to start affecting people's mental health?

I totally understand closing all social gatherings, but outside on your own? Don't get it.

Tim.

Posted by ken anderson. on 21/03/2020 09:32:13:

they reckon by the end of the isolations that 50% will have improved their cooking skills and the other 50% will have a drink problem... kulou

ken anderson...ne...1..... CV dept.

A group of friends and I had a "conference Watsapp drinking session" at home rather than our usual Thursday night trip to the local pup. We all drank (much) more than usual and reported severe hangovers the following day.

If our experience is anything to go by, I can understand why instructions have been given to close pubs etc.

Our first experience is that both my wife and myself received an Email from our local pub. It told us it was open for business. That as far as possible that diners would be sat apart at the government recommended distance of 1m. That the staff had been instructed to frequently wash their hands when carrying out their duties.

The other observation, was during a walk that my wife and I undertook along our local beach towards the town centre, just over a mile. We passed mixed groups of I assume holiday makers, probably staying in near by hotels. What was notable, is that there were many who were in the at risk age groups, 60-80+, mixed in with the much younger, some being children.

From our perspective, it seemed difficult to take a short walk, without encountering crowds. Even on the sand dunes, we choose to stop to avoid individuals, letting them pass by rerouting.

It seems that I have now been given permission to pay and collect groceries, as the pick up points are separated by geography from the normal shopping area and the risk is low, similar to home delivery. Why not home delivery, the only slots available are over two weeks into the future. We have also encountered another issue in that neither my card or my wives cards accounts were accepted by the online shopping. Attempts to contact our bank, resulted in a recording of not answering calls at present.

I guess the new restrictions and further restrictions are inevitable, as voluntarily we find it difficult to be responsible to both ourselves and towards others. The economic price is eye watering.

Edited By Erfolg on 21/03/2020 13:06:04

Posted by Erfolg on 21/03/2020 13:05:1

We have also encountered another issue in that neither my card or my wives cards accounts were accepted by the online shopping. Attempts to contact our bank, resulted in a recording of not answering calls at present.

More advanced card protection is in force nowadays Erfolg

Where maybe the card has been dormant a while, or frequently used for " tap " purchases, or an arbitrary number of uses elapses, the card needs validation again, as it may have been lost or stolen without you realising for some time.

The cards can be freed up without phone call

Either use the card for purchase where you put in your pin and sign, this revalidates the card

Or sign in with it on a cash machine without making a withdrawal

Edited By Denis Watkins on 21/03/2020 13:32:41

Your gardens should all be prize winners afore long, the pubs etc ? Well the staff have finally been told they'll receive some money via the government, so that's a massive weight off a lot of peoples minds, and that's the reason they stayed open, they had no other choice.

Food banks all received the food in stock, my lads workplace hotel chain offered all it's facilities, should they be of any use.

We could do with weather warming up to go with the longer days, bit of Sun makes us all happier, and it'll cut down on energy use.

Lost most of the stations on our freeview recently when they did some work, me being useless at tech took till last night to get em back, put it on Auto Update dummy not manual ? Wifes happy lots more rubbish to watch. wink

With it looking like there might (finally!) be a break in the weather this week, a few of us have been discussing our options. We are all theoretically in the "at risk" group by virtue of age, but otherwise in good general health.

None of us is worried about being on the field in the presence of others (it is in the middle of nowhere!), but have decided that car sharing is out, as is handing the transmitters around! We will also be keeping a reasonable distance apart, and if anyone has any symptoms at all, they will NOT be coming to the field!

We believe that if we are sensible about this, there is no reason not to enjoy our flying while we can.

--

Pete

Posted by Peter Christy on 23/03/2020 12:44:02:

We believe that if we are sensible about this, there is no reason not to enjoy our flying while we can

Trouble is Pete, unless you can guarantee that no-one in your group has had no contact with or been in the vicinity of anyone else in the last couple fo weeks then there is a risk of transmitting the virus. And no matter how much care you go to to keep your distance it only takes one slip. My view on this has dramatically changed from a week ago, my concern is not really me but the extra strain me being ill would put on the NHS and it has been my children who have made me change my mind about going flying with my club mates, in fact they are now delivering essential food stuff to us, we have not gone into self isolation but looks like we've been put into it!

Had a meet with club President and Treasurer yesterday at field, no way we're holding a members meeting, we're in uncharted waters here, we are cutting some costs, carpark being left uncut, field being cut as and when requested by treasurer.

Flying ? We cannot police who goes and who doesn't, that's for bojo to enforce, we've lads still going out working because Country needs em, who am I to stop these people going and unwinding for an hour or so.

Frankly, living out here, I'm far more likely to pick something up off the post, Amazon, food deliveries, than I am stood in the middle of a field, miles from anywhere. This thing can live on surfaces outside the body for some time, we're told.

So do you sterilize the post before you open it? Amazon deliveries? Food orders? Where do you draw the line?

In any case, most of the major food delivery companies are presently booked solid until the middle of April, so there is no choice but to visit the local shops, or (Shock! Horror!) the supermarket.

Mixing with "the great unwashed" in such places is far, far more risky, than a couple of hours with a small number of sensible people in an isolated location.

Frankly, I trust the other members of our small group far more than I trust the postman, the baker or the candle-stick-maker. These are people I've known for over 50 years in some cases, and there is mutual trust and respect.

We are all being cautious, and self-isolating at home. Current figures for infection in our area are 16 out of a population of 136,000 in the surrounding area. Of course, the true infection rate will be more than this, but even if it is an order of magnitude in error, it is still a vanishingly small number. This is NOT a big city - even remotely.

--

Pete

What ever the probability and reality of the risk related to flying at a club location. I sense that the Government has had enough, of seeing many irresponsible behaviors and will impose a ban or restrictions, of some type, in travel etc., without good reason.

If as has been introduced in a number of other countries, we will be required (if other schemes are anything to go by) to self certify the necessity of our journey, I am guessing that flying a toy plane will not be one that is recognised by those involved in enforcement.

Our landlord has decided to close our field after his insurance company raised a query as to public liability cover during present situation. Is allowing single person access to keep the grass tidy and short.

Can understand his situation as he was willing to allow sensible usage till the insurance company stepped in..

Posted by alan p on 23/03/2020 19:44:18:

Our landlord has decided to close our field after his insurance company raised a query as to public liability cover during present situation. Is allowing single person access to keep the grass tidy and short.

Can understand his situation as he was willing to allow sensible usage till the insurance company stepped in..

Will said insurance company be issuing a refund on the policy now that the insured activity has been curtailed?

This from the BMFD today.

Model Flying in the club environment

It remains the case that in general terms model flying represents a low risk due to the predominantly outdoor nature of the activity and the opportunity to maintain inter-personal separation (a minimum separation of 2 metres is advised).

However, the latest Government advice is that any form of group gathering should be avoided and that those over 70 or with underlying health issues should significantly limit their face-to-face interaction with others. We are also all being urged to avoid non-essential travel. Therefore, our advice is for members to stay at home and finish off that winter project or make an early start on next winter’s masterpiece.

Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 23/03/2020 20:23:06:

This from the BMFD today.

Model Flying in the club environment

It remains the case that in general terms model flying represents a low risk due to the predominantly outdoor nature of the activity and the opportunity to maintain inter-personal separation (a minimum separation of 2 metres is advised).

However, the latest Government advice is that any form of group gathering should be avoided and that those over 70 or with underlying health issues should significantly limit their face-to-face interaction with others. We are also all being urged to avoid non-essential travel. Therefore, our advice is for members to stay at home and finish off that winter project or make an early start on next winter’s masterpiece.

Yes Dai - Selfish behaviour of people at the weekend have made this necessary. I saw young people on TV saying that this isn't their problem as it won't affect them.

I'm right behind the government on this.