NEW POLL - Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?

Started Dawn flyer as I've had the stuff around for some time. Wanted to do a Li'l cub but still need some parts .

Things around the home need to be spread out if we are couped up for 12 weeks, at least thats what I told my wife!!!!!!!

Barry

Finished Peter Miller's Ohmen, now ready to fly.(RTF) Mended crash-damaged DB Tiger Moth, RTF when cowl re-painted. Mended crash damaged (virtually demolished) Freedom Rebel EDF, almost RTF. Mended motorised K7 glider (given to me with fuselage broken in half) now RTF.

Can't fly now, so finishing West Wings rubber powered Hawker Hart (started 17 years ago!!). All done, and RTF, but probably wouldn't dare launch it even if allowed, so now carving a scale (ish) propellor out of solid yew, for better display.A very interesting exercise.

Main job now is 1/4 scale DB Gipsy Moth, which has been sitting on a shelf for over a year. Much looking forward to that, but memsahib keeps finding irritating little details like gardening and decorating that seem suddenly to have become urgent

I haven’t built a traditional kit for years. Having had a lengthy break from modelling I bought a few ARTF models to get going again as well as updating a few old ones but I still had a couple of kits bought over 20 years ago and I bought a few new ones last year too. I’d started on one earlier this year (a PMP Chipmunk) but having been quarantined for the last 2 weeks it’s progressed so quickly I’m starting on the next one - a SIG Rascal. Got a glider kit going too. There’s a Lazy Bee and an E-stik next in the queue and I’m mulling over a TN 72” Lancaster.

It’s been much more satisfying than assembling a foamie and takes me right back to my first basic C/L models built over 50 years ago. I’m going to be busy with maiden flights when all this blows over!

After building "biggish" RC models I decided to go back to my roots ans build the Doug McHard Hurricane. It was designed fro rubber power but I found a CO2 motor kicking about in my bottom drawer so it's going to be FF.

I just need a fetcher mite now as my 73 year old knees aren't up the retrieval job any more. Do they still exist? BTW building this small really tests your skills.

I'd forgotten the sound of a snapping 1/16" square stringer!

Paul

Posted by john stones 1 on 31/03/2020 19:25:03:

No for me, finishing off models left wanting plumbing and setting up, got two done, two to go.

Sock draw tidied, I went with matching colours, do hankies go with undies or socks ?

I hope you ironed them all first !

devil

Recently got back into modelling after 20+ year break. Started with a ROC Hobby 2200 foam eglider which I flew a few times last year.

Next was an Art Hobby 2.7m Odyssey bungee launch glider which I managed to fly a couple of times, one really good thermal flight, between the windy rainy days.

Then an Evolution Fusion which I've only flown a couple of times but great fun, again dodging gales and rain.

Gales and rain continuing so built a BMFA Frog that I picked up at the nationals a couple of years ago, followed by a Guillows Lancer, that had been sat on a cupboard for a few months, but the lock down was announced on the day I finished it and, guess what? no rain, no gales, beautiful sunshine but could only look out of the window.

Feeling the urge again and, although I did a lot of different disciplines before, right up to a 60cc Titan tug and all-moulded 3m gliders which I flew in the Peterborough Winter Series, I'm now drawn to the beautiful art of free flight so I've just ordered a Sweet P30 from Free Flight Supplies with a view to taking part in some low-key comps, if I'm ever allowed out again.

Also, I've now regained a stash of off-cuts from all the kits so I'm contemplating scratch building a static model of an HP Victor BSR2 that I used to work on in my RAF days, unless I can work out how to power it without a prop on the front. Might investigate edf.

No toilet rolls left in this van overnight.

• 2 weeks later...

The lockdown has let me to start a idea I was going to exam closer next winter. It's using a 1950 free flight plan for a Zaunkonig (German trainer) and bring it up to date and install radio etc. It's the first R/C scale model I've done. Plans have been printed, balsa and bits obtained. Now need to look at the drawing and make suitable changes. Hopefully I intend to post a few pictures. It was reading Eric (Winkle) Brown's biography that made me aware to the aeroplane, apparently it was meant to be the easiest thing to fly ever, sounds like its ideal for my piloting skills.

Edited By Robert Dodd on 09/04/2020 18:01:46

I have ordered a SLEC Funfly (ICModel). This should be with me next week. I have a very nice Irvine 46 late model engine (with OS Carb) doing nothing so the Funfly will be a very suitable home for it.

Best to all

Peter

Speaking to SLEC apparently they are selling a lot of model boats at the moment.............wink

Edited By Low pass Pete on 10/04/2020 06:43:10

Posted by Paul Ellis 4 on 31/03/2020 19:00:47:

After building "biggish" RC models I decided to go back to my roots ans build the Doug McHard Hurricane. It was designed fro rubber power but I found a CO2 motor kicking about in my bottom drawer so it's going to be FF.

I just need a fetcher mite now as my 73 year old knees aren't up the retrieval job any more. Do they still exist? BTW building this small really tests your skills.

I'd forgotten the sound of a snapping 1/16" square stringer!

Paul

1/16" ?? You've got it good! Love the McHard designs though!

I'm deep in the world of 1/20" and 1/32"... building a 16" Pilatus PC-6 Porter from Walt Mooney's design... FF but doing it as a float-plane for pretend ROW (will use a launch-dolly indoors), converted to electric with a 90mAh LiPo and a teeny flight-profiler.

dsc_0010.jpg

dsc_0016.jpg

dsc_0044.jpg

dsc_0054.jpg

dsc_0080.jpg

I’ve spent my time tidying and throwing stuff out, and ended up with twice as much room in the garage. More than enough room to swing a Maine Coon. Loose items have been mended, it is all the fiddley mundane jobs have been done.

No building or ARF assembly frown

I realise that the lockdown is going to be on for longer than it will take to finish my current Sweet P30 so I've decided to build a scale model for the first time.

I've just ordered a plan for a slope soaring Handley Page Victor 82"span. I'd like to convert it from a K2 to a BSR2, which shouldn't be too much trouble but I also fancy trying to make it EDF too as there's no slopes in the Fens.

Should keep me occupied for a while and stop me pining too much looking at the glorious thermal soaring weathercrying

Lockdown has finally given me time to clear out my shed and do the building I had planned for the winter 2 years ago. First balsa building for more than 20 years. I've also subscribed to this Forum and to RCM&E Digital for tips, backissues etc.yes

First;rainbow for anyone working in health services, many many thanks, hope you all get rewarded. And for anyone in RC model business still working please be careful and take time to stay safe sending out orders (like mine)!

I now have "mass produced" fuselages on jig for kits purchased at a show last year, West Wings Pinto. Cambria Elan 100, Cliffwhacker, Astro Hog (from plan, not started yet). Pinto wings in progress - it's a lovely simple kit with great wood.

I'll be here on the Forum for advice a bit ! Next up will be something to spray the models with, i'm getting to grips with airbrush vs mini spray gun vs touch up gun vs spray gun, needle sizes and compressor noise, HP and CFM. So much to understand just to do some painting!

Cheers, Bob

Well I'm just finishing an F3P plane reduced to 60% in depron so I can fly in the back yard, on the bench is another reduced F3P but in 1/16" balsa, very fragile already. Also have a mini Super 60 in balsa on the bench, again for back yard flying. I'm very high risk so can't leave the house which is driving me nuts. I fancy something not too big again confines of the back yard, up to say 32" but in scale for electric. Perhaps scaling down DB's Bleriot or Blackburn. Has anyone any experience of either of them? The originals are around the 50"+ mark so I may even build one full size. I've built hundreds of planes in the last 50 years and not one of them scale!

Tony.

Edited By Tony Callan on 10/04/2020 20:49:23

In many respects the lock down has not released more time.

There is a reason, that reason is my wife is here far more than previously. Her life was very busy in that she would play golf several times a week, also played bowls normally at least once, indoors in winter, outdoors in summer, then there were the grandkids to pick up from school, there dinners to make, 3 days a week at least, plus a sleep over for the youngest granddaughter once a week. My wife was busy. Now try to alleviate the boredom she feels.

Alleviating boredom now involves, walking along the beach in either direction, a few cycle rides, to get further afield. I have discovered that i have shrunk, in height, although developed in girth, which I suspected. My proper bike (for club runs once upon a time), had the seat far to high as my legs were probably 1-2" short of the pedals. I had no idea, how low the handle bars were (and still are) either. This has provided the opportunity to moan about the Environment Agency, the sea defense improvements being over a year behind programme. Although they now reckon it is not, the job was rescopped. Then there is Lancashire County Council, a link road that they have received many millions of pounds unstarted, approx. 5 years after starting the project. A rumour was allowed to circulate it was a builder that was the issue, not having paid there contribution. Records show they made their payments 2 years ago. I have enjoyed this aspect of unforeseen benefits. Yes, grumpies rule!

As for me the time gained in not getting to the flying field is spent in model building activities, that is mainly, although a bit more gardening time is being undertaken. I know nothing about gardening. Nor modeling, judging by my mistakes.

As for modeling, I have undertaken a few repairs, stuck my identifiers into most models, and continue with a RBC Do 335. I have vowed to start a booklet of Tx settings for my various models, as i forget what switch is set for what, spending much time flicking this one then an other. Of course I have a certain logic to switch allocation and sense. Although i do not always remember which models make use of the switches.

I am also undertaking a drawing of a Gee Bee QED. I am contemplating the build of a Mercury kit Aeronca Sedan I have, as the Do335 is taking for ever. Plus I just had a customs demand for £11 for a £16 motor, that I could not buy in the UK, that I bought to keep the project moving along.