The Lockdown Restrictions Have Been Relaxed. Who's Been Flying?

David Davis

Advert

Posted by Jonathan M on 20/05/2020 00:42:00:
Posted by Denis Watkins on 19/05/2020 18:45:08:

You do need Throttle Control in a flat spin

No particular recipe, but to watch the model, as every flight wind plays apart

But you encourage the flat spin with the throttle

I guess it depends how flat is flat!

I’m no precision aerobatic pilot but my Wot4s would give a perfectly acceptable and pretty rapid series of rotations with, I’d say, about 20 deg nose down, power off and recovery was pretty instant with neutral stick.

Love the dog, Jonathan! If I had one, it would be a Spaniel! So, two good choices, there!

In a true spin, in-spin aileron should not be used - in fact, it was normal practice on many full size gliders to apply full opposite aileron to encourage the inner wing to stall in the area of the aileron [the angle of attack effectively increasing] when attempting to enter a spin for training or fun. Inadvertent spins often occur while stretching a turn near the ground, high angle of attack due to attempting to stretch a glide, a bit too much rudder to subconsciously avoid banking too much and then trying to pick up the dropping wing as it enters the incipient spin with aileron.

I think there may be a little confusion in some of the responses - do you mean a flat spin, which is a variation on a normal spin, or a standard spin which isn't overly nose down?

I would agree that C of G and elevator effectiveness are the main influences in spin behaviour. How much wash-out does your model have? If it's a considerable amount this may mean that the inner wing isn't fully stalled which can encourage spiral diving.

The downward position of the nose doesn't necessarily indicate a spiral dive - the angle of attack is the critical factor. Given a powerful enough elevator and strong enough airframe, it's quite possible to stall in a vertical dive.

I would try entering the spin with full rudder and neutral ailerons. If it spins, you have definitely entered a spin although be aware that it can develop into a spiral dive, especially if the tail design blanks part of the elevator in a spin. If you want to experiment with flat spins, try opening the throttle and gently feeding in opposite aileron until it establishes.

Just be a little cautious with flat spins as occasionally you may find a model that enjoys them so much it doesn't want to stop rotating! I have a pattern ship that came half built with no plan, rudder [or picture that I could find] and only standing maize saved it from serious damage. I made a larger rudder and it has improved the spin recovery immensely.

Posted by Jonathan M on 21/05/2020 06:04:22:

Thx people for the extra detail. I think I've been chasing a full flat spin, which isn't entirely necessary at this stage - as long as its a spin rather than a spiral dive!

In fact, adding the tail-weight (I do have a big 4s 4250 in the nose) and increasing the throws (and aside from not quite achieving a 20° nose-down attitude) I think I'm now actually pretty close to this sort of thing BMFA B Test Demo 1 and BMFA B Test Demo 2

Today's looking super for some more power flying, then its to the slope tomorrow and Saturday! laugh

Posted by fly boy3 on 20/05/2020 22:26:25:

As I live in Wales, I am so envious of you guys ......

Do not take the impression that model flying in England is back. Some clearly are in the air but not so in my district where public access flying sites controlled by local authorites are subject to social distancing rules.

One club has set a two in the air together maximum. Faced with the impossible task of managing gatherings on a public site others say don't go, for fear of long term difficulties with the land managers if arguments arise now.

Yesterday I woke up really early at 6 o'clock and the sun was shining so I thought I would risk it. Loaded a couple of electric models into car and off I went. I arrived at the field at 7 and was all on my own. It was really lovely with the sun shining , not a breath of wind and the birds singing. I had 5 great flights. First one was a bit rusty but soon came back. A couple of other People turned up at about 8.15 but we kept our distance . I was packed up and back home by 9.15.

It was really nice to get out at last and I don't think I took any unnecessary risks.

Went to the field yesterday afternoon with my MPX Heron, put it together and checked the radio operation, no right aileron!, found the control horn had pulled out of the Elapor aileron. Only a couple of others at the field and no one had cyano with them.sad

Had a bit of a chat then went home. All fixed now, hope this weather holds

Edited By FlyinBrian on 21/05/2020 18:01:13

First flying session of the year! I was on my own for about an hour and had a couple of flights with my Riot to see if I could still fly as badly as usual - sadly I can and I haven't miraculously transmogrified into an ace over the lay-off!

I was joined by CeeJay who had apparently been stuck at the gate unable to get the right combination for the lock (it's changed each year). He also couldn't find my mobile number but obviously eventually found a friend who knew the right numbers. A few flights (including the maiden of my Stik) and a lot of relaxing chat at about 3 metres separation in the pleasnat sunshine made for and excellent time. Hoping for more soon.

Another member turned up just as we were finishing so a grand total of 3 in a big area so social separation was easily maintained.

Geoff

The weather has been gorgeous so I have been flying every day this week. yes .

Many club-mates have also been at the field, and it has not been a problem to maintain our 2 metres separation. . Lots of banter and good fun has been had by all. We have been flying until it gets dark.

It's good to be back.

B.C.

Last year we lost our field as the owner farmer decided to to retire. The new owner wanted to plough the field so that was it for us. Due to the efforts of a couple of club members we managed to secure a new larger field very close to our old field.The owner is a gem. really helpful cuts the grass and disposes of it. As you can imagine up to now it has been really frustrating. New field, great flying weather and unable to go. That has now all changed in the last few days and we are now able to get back to almost normal with a few new safety rules. lets hope the weather continues so we can make up for lost time.

Posted by Richard Acland on 21/05/2020 20:28:52:

Last year we lost our field as the owner farmer decided to to retire. The new owner wanted to plough the field so that was it for us. Due to the efforts of a couple of club members we managed to secure a new larger field very close to our old field.The owner is a gem. really helpful cuts the grass and disposes of it. As you can imagine up to now it has been really frustrating. New field, great flying weather and unable to go. That has now all changed in the last few days and we are now able to get back to almost normal with a few new safety rules. lets hope the weather continues so we can make up for lost time.

Good result there Richard, next weeks looking good. hot

Been working today, sounds like yous had a good un. yes

I have been to our field 5 times in the past 8 days, 4 to fly and once to tidy the grass up a bit, hardly seen a soul there given the good weather. We set up on every other pit station so 5 to 6m apart and max 2 on the flightline. After getting back into the swing of things, I remaidened my 81" Brian Taylor Mosquito after building a new wing after crash damage, but this time with electric power rather than IC. I was so confident in the power system now it is electric that I flew huge wing overs, loops and rolls for the first time, I never did that with IC power.

1466readyformaiden.jpg

1467readyformaiden.jpg