How much have you spent on modeling in 2020?

Paul Marsh

we're only here once,and cant take anything with us,we go the same way as when we arrived with nowt......so get it spent on something.

lad at the doc's say's "i don't drink,smoke,swear or have out to do with women,will i live to be one hundred?"........................ the doc replies..."no but it will seem that long"....

ken anderson...ne..1..... came with nowt dept. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ken anderson. said:

we're only here once,and cant take anything with us,we go the same way as when we arrived with nowt......so get it spent on something.

ken anderson...ne..1..... came with nowt dept. 

If I can't take it with me I'm not going!!!

• Haha 1

Bar none, the most satisfying model I ever made was a KK Achilles when I was about 11. The first model I bought (with saved up Birthday and Christmas money and odd jobs) and built entirely by myself, it probably wasn't very good, but those 10-20 second flights were the most glorious seconds of my life.  Hands down, the most exciting, satisfying and joyful time of my modelling career! 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Phil McCavity said:

I'm curious why this question was even asked?

You spend what you can, have available or want to continue doing it, why does there need to be a figure?

Yes, good question Phil but few posters do put a figure on it and it would be a pretty boring thread if that is all people did. Far more interesting are the comments which reveal the passion with which people enjoy this hobby. It is not about money but enjoyment (and mental health) and that is priceless.  

51 minutes ago, Piers Bowlan said:

Yes, good question Phil but few posters do put a figure on it and it would be a pretty boring thread if that is all people did. Far more interesting are the comments which reveal the passion with which people enjoy this hobby. It is not about money but enjoyment (and mental health) and that is priceless.  

I totally agree that the passion is far more interesting Piers and would say is far more indicative of the dedicated aeromodeller than what they spend and luckily that's how the thread has largely flowed but I'm intrigued by the reason for asking for figures of hard cash? Some people are on a hair trigger just itching to tell you of the infinite pot of money at their disposal which a question like this tempts. Every large club has one member like that....

It's all relative...

Years ago I didn't have many pennies to rub together.

If a wanted something and I didn't have the money, I did without it saved saved saved...

I was more resourcefully and innovative, though outside the box and sourced materials etc. Usually from a skip.

These days I have slightly more money to play with but still drag raw materials from skips.

I still tend to think outside the box.

If I had a lottery win, would I buy another house, and some land ( 9 adjoining big fields ), lots of RC stuff and fly every day, hell yes! Weather dependant.

Why nine fields ? The centre one is the flying field, the rest would be my play pen, quads, trials bikes, JCB, maybe a centurion ? and a lake for model boats and flying ones.

A machine shop.....metal spraying and grinding etc........please god.....

So I suppose I am the same as most people, spend your money, you can't take it with you.

Enjoy.

I think that most of us in the hobby work to sensible budgets that reflect our means, although I don't believe everyone who could afford to spend thousands on a jet/scale model/ huge heli will necessarily go down that route as if it is some natural progression. Time available and facilities will have a moderating influence as well as being short of the required technical and flying skills..........doesn't always hold some back though, with predictable results.

Not spent that much, mainly because there is nothing really new to get and as said, no swap meets or shows , yet. I want a new Spektrum radio, but all out of stock.

Though bought quite a few items off Hobbyking, ebay and classifieds , mainly engines, and some from model shop.

The biggest spend this year was a new car and upgraded some hifi bits, the Subwoofer alone was £2000, but once these are all bought, how much else can you get?

A year of two halves for me - spent far more in he first 6months (little flying) than the last 6 (much more flying).  It used to be the other way around, but since I retired and moved closer to a flying field, I fly much more and crash less - practice making me better I guess. 

Irrespective of actual amounts, the balance in my 'model account' is increasing to the point I am nervous the financial director (wife) will review it and change it to the 'pet and model account'..... I'd better buy some stuff!

GG

Last year -when this thread was started - was one of building and kitting out my workshop, so a substantial outlay. This year has mostly been like Nigel says above, some kits and pre-owned airframes, so relatively modest expenditure -it varies. This hobby isn't expensive when set alongside some other hobbies and if it comes out of disposable income and gives you pleasure then every penny is well spent IMO. The amount you spend on the hobby doesn't seem to be a determinant of the degree of enjoyment that aeromodellers get out of the hobby.

• Like 2

I'm naturally tight fisted, so always look to spend the least I can, so am resourceful with materials etc. But not at the detriment of enjoyment. All my models are built, because I like doing so, and my most enjoyable models are usually a bit smaller. I don't find the same enjoyment when the model overhead has more time and money invested in it and all that's keeping it there are my thumbs. Let's face it, I don't trust them to hitch-hike in the right direction...

BUT; I won't spend more than I have, and won't limit my spend if it limits my enjoyment...

Strangely not being able to go flying has curbed both my spending and building / assembling so my answer is "Very Little" I have probably sold as much as I bought.

Biggest buy was a Top Model CZ "ELEMENT" E-glider (c£400)  last sept and I have not yet finished getting it ready to fly. The biggest problem is finding somewhere to assemble the whole thing as it is 3.5 meters span. Even my garage has so much stuff in it that with the Element assembled I cannot move around it and have to go out of the main door and back in the side door to get from one side to the other. Also as it does not fit in my shed my tools etc are always in the wrong place

OTOH I am also building a little od model of 40" span or so which other than the cost of a tiny motor and ESC has been built from what I had in stock. - Just as much pleasure making it up as I go along.