New scam alert!

cymaz

Advert

How much can you trust reviews from people like Trustpilot?

Cam across an interesting scam recently. I bought a bathroom from an on-line supplier. The web page was very misleading and I only got half of what I thought I had ordered. I refused to take delivery, and eventually got a refund. However, I was later asked to review them, and asked to click on one of 4 smilies.Smilie.jpg.2f0e589dd8a7b7eb1f7fb331f539f55d.jpg

Fair enough so far. Then I accidentally clicked on the good smilie and got sent to Trustpilot. Knowing this was wrong I backtracked and picked the bad smilie and got sent to a quite different website where, no doubt, my review was binned.

I put a complaint into Trustpilot only for it to be dismissed a week or two later.

So.... can you trust reviews on Trustpilot knowing that there are such easy ways of filtering out poor reviews?

Got a couple this morning.

"Paypal telling me that there had been suspicious activity on credit cards linked to my account."

How do they know what is happening with me credit cards considering I only have debit cards for my account?

Also one from my "American Express card" in my spam folder but that  was so appallingly mutilated in the subject that I didn't even bother to open it . Not that I have an American Express card anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I renewed my driving license recently.

Just had an email saying there's inconsistencies in my application and I should click the included link to update my details otherwise my license will be suspended.

Of course the email trail is ridiculous so I've no intention of doing anything other than deleting it but I do wonder how they get the info?

If your aged over 70 & somehow your age & aprox birthday date has been discovered, then it's logical that you'll be renewing the licence in 3 yearly cycles around that date.

Sadly even family celebrations can be a give away to the scammers these days.

I had an email a couple of days ago from HMRC, a reminder for self employed to get tax return in.

With in fifteen min's from arrival of the official notification I had a scam email come through wanting details so as to make the Covid self employment support grant.

Have the scammers got a direct link into HMRC email system ?

• 1 month later...

I got a new twist on scammers this morning.

I received a phone call a few minutes ago and answered because the number was a local number from my own village numbers .

When I answered it it was one of those "You have made a purchase from amazon for £399. If you didn't make this purchase press one.

It would seem that now they fake a number close to ones own to make sure that you pick it up.

Somehow I don't think Amazon has an office in my village  

A friend of mine has just been robbed of £5k thieves claiming to be Amazon . I won't use the word scam as it plain thieving and robbery . They , the thrives, phoned and claimed to have mistakenly charged my friend £300 for an order by mistake. Then called him again and apologised for the trouble but had repaid him £5300 . Why he never smelt a rat I can't understand but he is getting on and does have to take very strong painkillers for a back condition. They asked him if he could transfer the money back while they were on the phone. So like a lamb to the slaughter he opened his online banking. Then to his amazement the cursor moved around transferring money from savings to current account before stealing it. He panicked and shut down his computer and called his daughter who imediately called the bank. No more money was remove and the bank is investigating. The question is how did they gain control of his computer ?

Now his daughter has confiscated his laptop like you would a naughty boy ?. Its a good job my mate still has a sense of humour even though its a costly one !

3 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

A friend of mine has just been robbed of £5k thieves claiming to be Amazon . I won't use the word scam as it plain thieving and robbery . They , the thrives, phoned and claimed to have mistakenly charged my friend £300 for an order by mistake. Then called him again and apologised for the trouble but had repaid him £5300 . Why he never smelt a rat I can't understand but he is getting on and does have to take very strong painkillers for a back condition. They asked him if he could transfer the money back while they were on the phone. So like a lamb to the slaughter he opened his online banking. Then to his amazement the cursor moved around transferring money from savings to current account before stealing it. He panicked and shut down his computer and called his daughter who imediately called the bank. No more money was remove and the bank is investigating. The question is how did they gain control of his computer ?

Now his daughter has confiscated his laptop like you would a naughty boy ?. Its a good job my mate still has a sense of humour even though its a costly one !

I would guess that the scammers persuaded him to download a program like Windows Teamviewer which allows someone else to have remote access to your computer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Today I have so far received 3 emails from a variety of unlikely email addresses telling me I need to update my BT Mailbox or lose access to my account.

The links provided to "help" me do this are as unlikely as the email addresses.

Dick

don't know if i've mentioned it on the forum here before but..................

we were away in our caravan and our daughter was visiting, she was enquiring why we hadn't put our awning up and we had a 5 min conversation about it.she told us that a couple of days later she was constantly getting advert's and pop up up's on her phone for awnings. Apparently the phones(and google)monitor what you discuss and tailor the adds to what they hear......you need to turn it off in the settings!.....

ken anderson...ne..1..who is listening dept.

1 hour ago, Peter Miller said:

No I haven't.  Not that it bothers me, I just  wonder how they know.

Cookies are what do it. Browsers use them to help by targeting adds to what you have shown interest in previously. When you go to a new web site you are asked to accept cookies so that you can be helped in the future. 'Helped!' ?

I presume the add blockers delete the cookies on your device.