Lone flying during Lockdown

Stephen Jones

Posted by Doc Marten on 07/11/2020 13:07:42:

My reply was to a specific scenario Stephen presented. The posts in the rest of the thread make it clear.

Travelling beyond an open space where you can carry out your activity is a breach of the rule and will leave you liable to a fine, if that space isn't suitable for your activity then you can travel to the nearest open space that does, you can also travel to an open space if you have limiting health factors, even if it is local.

Stephen said nothing about how far the hill was, so it could be a local hill, which he could have driven to.

The rest of your post is beyond me. frown

Advert

Here's a good one.

Club instructor lives 5 miles from the flying field (he and I are the two nearest). His local park is a 200 yard walk from his front door. However he lives in the same "area" as the field, but his local park is in a higher risk area. So which should he go to ? I live 2 miles from the field, so joining him at a social distance is no problem. All the other members either live too far away, or in high risk areas.

I am lucky. I have a field which is next to my house and the owners of the adjacent fields allow me to fly over them. As far as I know there are no Mink (only Stoats) in the field and you can't (currently) catch Covid 19 from Sheep.

smiley

Some model flyers: "I am a law abiding citizen and I think we should all abide by the law and ban those evil drones that cause us problems because they are not law abiding."

The same model flyers: "I don't like the new rules and I'm desperately looking for real or imaginary loopholes."

Honestly people, just suck it up for a month. It's only model flying.

Took my dog for her usual daily walk at around 3:30.

There were around 15 kids of differing ages on the skateboard area. Another dozen or so on the swings. Twenty odd people were in the middle of an organised game of football. It was quite foggy, but that didn't stop a lone flier testing the limits of his vision by flying a Hobbyking EFX racer at speed above them all.

Lockdown? What lockdown?

Rules? What rules?

Edited By Gary Manuel on 07/11/2020 17:51:33

Posted by Doc Marten on 07/11/2020 18:05:02:
Posted by Gary Manuel on 07/11/2020 18:02:03:
Posted by Doc Marten on 07/11/2020 17:57:18:

It's up to you, either abide by the rules and sleep well or don't and accept the consequences.

It's as simple as that.

Edited By Doc Marten on 07/11/2020 17:58:46

It's other people not abiding by the rules that's the problem.

I know, but you can only do what is within your power.

Yep. Give 'em all a wide berth.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 07/11/2020 18:07:36

There is far to much effort being put into the concept "what can I get away with". The next issue is unless what i want to do is identified and explicitly forbidden, I want to do what I want. The mindset probably includes, the rules are vague and they are to finely defined.

All those of moderate intelligence know what the general aims are. Another important aspect is both public and individual impression. Would any of us want to encourage the mindless, selfish individuals to behave as we so often now see on television and other media, to behave in a way that is reckless?

Hmm, I may now go of to the beach to fly, no one will see me!

Posted by john stones 1 on 07/11/2020 13:55:04:
Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 07/11/2020 13:36:19:

Best bet, put the lipos on a storage charge..................

and go fishing!.

Where we going ?

Local free stretch on the river in Wareham Dorset.

Great views, trout, roach, salmon, etc. cake shop on the quay, what's not to like?.

Oh, and peace and quiet!.

Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 07/11/2020 19:06:57:
Posted by john stones 1 on 07/11/2020 13:55:04:
Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 07/11/2020 13:36:19:

Best bet, put the lipos on a storage charge..................

and go fishing!.

Where we going ?

Local free stretch on the river in Wareham Dorset.

Great views, trout, roach, salmon, etc. cake shop on the quay, what's not to like?.

Oh, and peace and quiet!.

I agree Simon, a beautiful spot. I keep my boat moored on the River Frome although it is in my driveway just now. Funnily enough the RYA banned boating during the first lockdown but not now, apart from the caveats mentioned earlier.

I can walk from my house to Nine Barrow Down for a spot of slope soaring although the weather is inclement and I can survive without it for a month. Besides a nice warm garage workshop and a new model to build beckons.😊

This is becoming a little irritating - our government is endeavouring to control the spread of an infectious disease that if uncontrolled will certainly kill, in a very unpleasant way, a proportion of the population. Looking for ways to circumvent the restrictions in order to go out and play with toy aeroplanes for a month smacks of egregious selfishness.

Erflog got it spot on " those of average moderate intelligence know what the general aims are " the trouble is many know the aims but are just plain selfish and continually look for way to circumvent the rules.

To those I would say get a life , you can live a month or so without going flying , it's not essential and who knows it might , just might stop spreading the disease to one of us who can't fight it .

I'm shortly going to lock the gates to our field just up the lane as one of our members seem to fit into the selfish category that rules don't apply to and chose to fly since lockdown then went home leaving the gates unlocked ! If we find them they will certainly be looking for a new club.

Model flying may be a sport but it is hardly exercise.

A very desperate attempt to circumvent what is trying to be achieved by the latest restrictions.

Looking at the age demographic of our hobby we should be the most invested in eliminating the virus.

Interpret the advice as you wish, it is your friends and club mates that are staistically most likely to die.

They don't what you to drive alone or otherwise because if you have an accedent it puts extra strain on the NHS also some members of the emergency services have been forced to stay home because they have covid a family member does or have been in contact with someone that does, also what if you break down puts the recovery agent at risk and if the car can't be fixed at the road side how do you get home without contact

If people would behave we could all be out flying now, instead everyone's busy trying to find an excuse for breaking the rules or the spirit of the rules, grow up and behave.

Posted by Kevin Wilson on 08/11/2020 12:14:36:

Model flying may be a sport but it is hardly exercise.

A very desperate attempt to circumvent what is trying to be achieved by the latest restrictions.

Looking at the age demographic of our hobby we should be the most invested in eliminating the virus.

Interpret the advice as you wish, it is your friends and club mates that are staistically most likely to die.

Agree with that Kevin, except the last time I climbed Mynydd Eglwysilan for a spot of soaring, it felt a lot like exercise. wink