Vailly FW 190 1/4.5 (Nick Somerville)

Nick Somerville

Advert

Takes as long to count them as to burn them so, as that would mean twice the work, I am not counting. There are a lot though. Actually the time consuming work is calculating the position of the lines from the Bentley drawings that I have for reference. Those with the rivets shown are all 5.23 x smaller than my model, so I spend fair bit of time punching numbers onto my phone calculator before transferring to the model. Once done, the rivets burn in fairly quickly by eye and it is a surprisingly therapeutic task. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rivets all completed so whilst awaiting some decent weather to start laying the final Luftwaffe RLM colours down I have started to make sense of the wiring and airlines. 
I have 11 servos operating over 10 channels (the little cooling flap servos are on a y lead) plus two more channels required for the ignition and on board starter. 

A Powerbox Pioneer is being used to manage the twin Li ion power packs and servo distribution and this will have a pair of receivers connected each with dual receiver circuits for added redundancy.  The four flap and aileron leads from the wing run into a single female plug with the male very securely fixed to the side frame to mitigate against any disturbance to the receiver connections.

The air setup is pretty straight forward with a simple UP-8 valve feeding air to the tail and main retracts. Air fill valve and switches  (radio & ignition isolator) are located under the gun hood.

image.thumb.jpeg.f15ac5a40e8d43cd8f68dc9af45e2808.jpeg

• Like 2

Still too cold to paint in my unheated spray area/shed so spent a bit of time working on the ETC 501 rack. A bit more fiddly than I had expected but hopefully a near enough rendition. It will be removable for transport as it bridges across the lower wing and onto the fuselage behind and in any case with the drop tank in place it will be an easy casualty of hangar rash. Phil at Fighteraces is supplying the 300l drop tank and when that arrives I can finalise it’s fixings on the rack.

image.thumb.jpeg.7aa3dcc5371b02ff255accc7327f7061.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks for the comments David.

There weren’t too many 190’s that had the inner doors, Frank and there won’t be any on my A8. If there had been then sequencing would have been handled by a UP-3 valve as per my Sea Fury. Clever little device for pneumatics. The Powerbox unit is the lower end Pioneer and doesn’t have gear sequencing built in btw. 

Painting at last, as the weather seems to have almost caught up with the time of year. I gave the all but the moving surfaces a fine coat of rattle can aluminium to give something to rub back to when weathering. With that thoroughly dry and first up to get the spray kit ‘warmed up’ was the RLM 04 flat yellow for the cowl area and rudder.  Next the RLM 76 grey, which is actually a light blue grey, for all of the underside and the fuselage and fin sides. Leg covers also in the same colour. 

Klasskote paint goes a long way and I had purchased the smallest available amounts of each colour (1/2 pint). I imagine once finished I will have enough left over for two more similar sized Luftwaffe aircraft. The paint is mixed equal parts with a reducer and catalyst. For this model I am using the matte catalyst.  Compressor is a Bambi ex dental job off ebay and the HVLP spray gun a low cost Fast Mover panel touch up gun. Works lovely.

image.thumb.jpeg.0fc1b672a9284c9cb094e4299ad1f468.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ad62b6f89ad291785080356bb7483bf6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ff066ed1a49a11cc343ae8151cf228b9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8e717a5757cb0ac60519097975222717.jpeg

• Like 4

Finished up the mounting of the drop tank onto the rack and now ready for painting. It’s all adds up to a fair payload! 3 1/4 oz for the rack and almost 8oz for the tank. The tank can be easily removed from the rack and the rack also is easy to remove from the aircraft so three options for flying.

image.thumb.jpeg.95189b817e2f4a43a95ff97273d77634.jpeg

• Like 2

Like PJ said, a bit terrifying letting loose the airbrush to blow camouflage splodges. It is was it is once underway so hopefully I won’t rue what I have done. There is the darker almost greenish  grey to add on the upper areas and cockpit. Wings have had the tops covered in this grey and when cured enough the final large Camouflage patches can be added with the same dark greenish grey.

image.thumb.jpeg.4650e9d59919eb26f9d901355fe04d9b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0d21d484ed84b914821a0e8238f6628c.jpeg

• Like 6