Legal Drone Flyer Threatened with Gun

EvilC57

Advert

I think I will wait to read about from another source other than the Daily Fail - they are not renowned for their accuracy. Also, being “fully licensed and certified by the CAA” does not mean it was a legal flight - I’ve seen multiple estate agents with their own quads making entirely illegal flights without having a clue they were doing so.

Even so, this case highlights why US pilots are so “happy” that Remote ID broadcast not only information on the aircraft (reg ID etc), but also the location of the pilot at the point of take off…

16 minutes ago, MattyB said:

I think I will wait to read about from another source other than the Daily Fail - they are not renowned for their accuracy. Also, being “fully licensed and certified by the CAA” does not mean it was a legal flight - I’ve seen multiple estate agents with their own quads making entirely illegal flights without having a clue they were doing so.

Even so, this case highlights why US pilots are so “happy” that Remote ID broadcast not only information on the aircraft (reg ID etc), but also the location of the pilot at the point of take off…

I agree with you regarding stories of estate agents flying illegally. However regarding authenticity of the story, try these instead…

Wilts & Gloucestershire StandardsUAS News or BBC News

9 minutes ago, EvilC57 said:

I agree with you regarding stories of estate agents flying illegally. However regarding authenticity of the story, try these instead…

Wilts & Gloucestershire StandardsUAS News or BBC News

I wasn't questioning the authenticity of the story, just the accuracy of the reporting, specifically whether the flight was legal or not. I doubt we will hear anything more about that though, as the Police are unlikely to have any evidence, though I suppose they could get GPS data from the SUAS itself.

Also the firearm was later described as an air rifle when it's clearly a pistol.   It's always been illegal to carry even an air weapon in public openly.  Even in the days when you could buy a gun licence over the counter at the post office (in the 1950s, as I did even as a 13 year old) we used to carry them in cases. 

6 minutes ago, Andy Stephenson said:

I'd say it's an over reaction to call a BB gun a "firearm"

From the CPS website, specifically relating to firearms.... 

• Section 19: it is an offence for a person to have with them in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse a loaded shot gun, an air weapon (whether loaded or not), any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or an imitation firearm.

So, not seen as an over reaction by the law.  In some cases, the law is an ass, but I don't believe it is in this case - it's not the wild west 🙂  

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

From the CPS website, specifically relating to firearms.... 

• Section 19: it is an offence for a person to have with them in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse a loaded shot gun, an air weapon (whether loaded or not), any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or an imitation firearm.

So, not seen as an over reaction by the law.  In some cases, the law is an ass, but I don't believe it is in this case - it's not the wild west 🙂  

Possible 6 month sentence for carrying an airgun in  a public place, up to 10 years inside for possession with intent to cause fear of violence.

• Like 1

Point of law, in the UK can you overfly someone’s house with a drone without authority of the owner? Privacy laws say you can’t in France.

Many years back I and a colleague were threatened very much like the idiot. Got too close, and my colleague caught hold. Glasgow kiss, reverse elbow going down, knee up, and, on the ground, as the gun was still in his hand, broken elbow with boot. All on camera. Charged with assault police, firearms offenses, sentenced, 12 months. That after six months of surgeries to fix the face. 
Section 3, criminal justice act, 1967. Reasonable use of force. As my colleague said when asked about the damage caused, but sir, if I had had a gun, I would have stepped back and shot him. 

4 minutes ago, Don Fry said:

Point of law, in the UK can you overfly someone’s house with a drone without authority of the owner?

It seems so if you’re a ‘professional’ drone flyer. I’ve recently seen a couple episodes of a Channel 4 programme called Worst House on the Street, another one of those house transformation programmes that seem to be fashionable at the moment.

In each episode, there seem to be a number of shots obviously taken from a drone flying around the subject house low over the roofs of adjoining urban properties. In fact I noticed a shot last night, which started high over a neighbour’s front garden across the road, and flew down, through the front door into the hallway, then into the lounge and back out into the kitchen. Clever flying (if it’s not TV trickery), and all presumably legal.

15 minutes ago, Don Fry said:

As my colleague said when asked about the damage caused, but sir, if I had had a gun, I would have stepped back and shot him. 

Its this comment that makes me glad we dont have an abundance of firearms here in the UK. Had the angry chap had a real gun, and the drone operator been armed as well its very likely this stupid incident would have resulted in at least one fatality and possibly an open shootout in the street. As with that young girl shot earlier this week, its often bystanders that pay the price for these street fights so i am quite happy with things the way they are. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Its this comment that makes me glad we dont have an abundance of firearms here in the UK. Had the angry chap had a real gun, and the drone operator been armed as well its very likely this stupid incident would have resulted in at least one fatality and possibly an open shootout in the street. 

Exactly. How long is it going to be before a modeller in the US is shot because members of the public can be guided to the takeoff point via Remote ID? If this is happening here, it is certain to happen thee where firearms ownership is so much higher. If you read any US centric forums or the comments sections against any of the recent Remote ID videos posted on Yourube since that legal challenge was lost, modellers are frequently stating that they are going to take their own fireams with them when they go flying moving forward. 😦

Edited by MattyB

1 hour ago, Don Fry said:

Point of law, in the UK can you overfly someone’s house with a drone without authority of the owner?

I think anyone can if the drone is under 250 grams.   It's only those over 250 grams that cannot isn't it?  

oint of law, in the UK can you overfly someone’s house with a drone without authority of the owner?

Small stuff, fly anywhere, literally.

Think the camera aspect of it hinges on whether you are 'intruding on privacy', which gets you into data protection law territory.

...and on the privacy question...

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code/protecting-peoples-privacy

image.thumb.png.1f7c6b1ffb5519dc1d3604107c07a9cf.png

image.png.f0d08410d05147f0f3781777132cd73a.png

Having read this you can see that it isn't straightforward to assume this flight was legal - there quite a few ways he could have been transgressing the law (commercially certified pilot or not), and whilst I don't condone using a fiream to enforce the law, I can see why the individual concerned was upset. 

Edited by MattyB

We discussed this over at the flightline this morning and we decided that if the flyer had knocked at the neighbours door and said " I am going to photograph next door - would you like a free photo of your house? " the man's attitude would have been different!    But he invaded someones privacy!    No excuse for threatening with a firearm though.

I expect burglars will be buying under 250 gram drones to locate best places to gain access or look to see if anything valuable is there to steal.   

When I flew drones commercially it was always important to make sure that any neighbours were aware of what you were going to do, to such an extent that in some situations fliers were posted a couple of days beforehand. That is on top of notifying the local authorities of what was happening (especially if in built up areas such as town centres). All of course detailed in my statement of works docs. Not everyone did the same!

• Like 2