BMFA In the Air Tonight Tuesday 20th December @ 7pm - The work of the AAIB and how it interacts with the BMFA membership with Mark Ellis

We are very pleased to be joined by Mark Ellis from the Air Accidents Investigations Branch (AAIB) for our next session on Tuesday 20th December @7pm.

Mark will talk about the work of the AAIB and how they interact with the BMFA membership. He will also case study two investigations the AAIB has undertaken recently with model aircraft.

This will be followed by a Q&A session with Mark.

To join us for what should be a very interesting evening register at the link below.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_9JDsTBWQRxaQHdWfDXcTNQ

AAIB.jpg

• Like 4

Advert

I suppose the turbine F4 Phantom on its maiden flight and which wound up on a railway line and getting run over by a train will be mentioned. July 2022 BMFA |News.......... what do you mean you didn't read it?😄

On the AAIB website if you search.

Booked in - should be an interesting presentation.

Edited by Cuban8

I found the presentation very interesting and informative about the AAIB's remit and scope. I got the impression that they have quite enough on their plate to worry about with full size aviation without having to worry about us, although the two model related  incidents that were covered could have turned out to be very serious and lessons have been learned. I got the impression that the main worry where the AAIB will take an interest is where a model loses contact and flys off on its own to present a risk to uninvolved persons or their property and of course to full size aviation. Not so much the goings on within the club environment and its flying site.

I honestly can't recall any incident in either of my two clubs that would have warranted filling in an on-line report form, these incidents are very rare and I guess that most clubs will be the same. Thankfully, where forms have been used to report an incident, the result has been mostly 'no further action required'.

The incident covered in a recent bmfa news was interesting as to the AAIB's response and to be honest, although we could easily point a finger and criticise the response of those involved and how they reacted in  recovering the model - I wonder how many of us would have acted that differently, rightly or wrongly. Some worthwhile advice as to how to deal with models that might inadvertenly wind up on a particularly sensitive area or structure. Worth looking around your own flying area and noting solar farms, electrical substations , water treatment plants, railways, power lines  etc etc and knowing who to contact in an emergency.

The comment regarding their opinion of the difference in mindset between drone flyers and model aircraft flyers with regard to operating their equipment and general approach was enlightening and confirms what many of us have been saying for some time. You'll have to watch the Youtube re-run to find out and see if you agree if you didn't Zoom.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 2

I too thought that is was an excellent presentation and it was interesting to see both the size of the AAIB and its chain of command / reporting. Nice to also hear that they recognise how 'safe / responsible' we model 'plane fliers are, not just boys with toys.

All good stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, john davidson 1 said:

The bit about suppression of 2.4 gig signals so that people could not use their mobile made me pick my ears up and some of the other participant too.  Seems to be a controversial suggestion and I wonder if we will hear any more.

But mobile phones don't operate at 2.4gHz except when they are connected to WiFi and Bluetooth