How about . . . The Nationals?

Hello everybody,

Is there anyone who knows how when where etc.  this year?

So far found that Barkston Heath won't have you, but . . .

I've sent a mail to the BMFA: no response whatsoever.

Would love to see the Free Flight Scale Competition again . . . 😃

Thanks!

jan brilman

Netherlands

Advert

Personally, I wouldn't get your hopes up regarding a return to the Nats of old and how we remember them as a really huge jamboree of model flying over several days. For me, the loss of the hangar at Barkston was a big negative anyway, but that's the way it goes.

I'm not sure that such an event would be financially viable now and assuming one could even find a suitable venue that would be prepared to host it.  Most of us are fortunate to be able to say that we've seen the very best over the years. The hobby has changed and to an extent, modellers have changed along with the way that the hobby is viewed. Never say never of course.

Plenty of smaller meetings and events around the country, maybe that's the way to go now?

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

Cosford was one show that I may well have visited this year as we have family nearby. Odd decision as the site is used to dealing with the public at the RAF Museum over the other side. Operational needs, security, even good old health and safety or "we just can't be asked" might be something to do with it - their call so not much to be done.

Edited by Cuban8

Maybe it's just me, but I would have thought that the reason was obvious.

I should think that every RAF base in the U.K. (and the same in Europe) has more important things of concern at the moment and don't need people with toy aeroplanes potentially getting in the way for the foreseeable future.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, kevin b said:

Maybe it's just me, but I would have thought that the reason was obvious.

I should think that every RAF base in the U.K. (and the same in Europe) has more important things of concern at the moment and don't need people with toy aeroplanes potentially getting in the way for the foreseeable future.

I'm old enough to remember the Cold War when there was a serious worry about the world being turned into a cinder, yet the RAF still managed to run a whole series of huge public 'At Home' airshows right across the country.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but I suspect we'll never again see a Nationals like those of yesteryear (i.e. all disciplines on a single RAF site) again. There's lots of resons for this - changing structures and demands on the RAF, reduced number of suitable locations, evolution of the hobby, reducing participation, economic conditions etc. - but probably the biggest barrier is the lack of value to the RAF.

Other than a lot of admin, what's really in it for them? They no longer need to recruit at the same scale in the past, so  it wouldn't seem to help there. All they really end up with is a lot of paperwork, hours of meetings with the BMFA and an airfield out of comission for the weekend (potentially longer if there was a fear of FOD after the event). Combine this with the fact we have now been three years without a Nationals held at Barkston; the more time passes the harder it gets for the BMFA negotiators to get a positive result in negotiations with the relevant Station Commander(s). It's sad, but the BMFA are reallyup against it on this one, and if they aren't successful this year I think it will be time acknowledge that it's probably pointless tryign to resurrect an "old-skool" Nats at thsi point. 

Edited by MattyB

10 minutes ago, Andrew Calcutt said:

Don’t bother suggesting anything,they won’t listen to you.

The BMFA will be looking at all kinds of options, but remember they have zero power in this process - essentially they are asking for a favour without being able to offer anything back in return. Just because you suggested it and it didn’t come to pass does not mean it was not investigated.

• 3 weeks later...

While we're discussing 'alternatives' I understand that Shuttleworth has altered the camping and caravanning arrangements for Modelair days. They now say that it's self sufficient 'wild camping' from now on with the toilet block that used to be available to us being denied to campers - overnight at least. Inconvenient for tenters to say the least and not a great thing for those that prefer to not use their caravan loos to their full potential - if you see what I mean. Fine for an overnight Jimmy, but a great source of dubious toilet humour for much else.......no thanks.

I like to caravan to fairly well serviced sites and Shuttleworth was perfectly adequate before this change - perhaps it doesn't bother many other folks?

Just checked on their website before posting this and it looks as though they've gone away from the 'wild camping' idea and now provide portable loos, a chemical disposal point and water tap. That's not so bad and pretty much what we had at Barkston. Good.

Should be plenty of airfields lying unused - the RAF hasn't got enough planes to fill the ones that are open!

By the way, the 2023 Defence review will entrust the nations defence to a line of Territorial Army soldiers on Dover Cliffs (weekends and bank holidays only) armed with catapults. Unfortunately the funding for ball bearings is scheduled for the 2024 review. Without body armour each soldier will be issued with a four leaf clover to ward off incoming enemy fire. Officers will be issued with a lucky rabbits foot to distinguish them. In time honoured tradition by the MOD these will be sourced from China.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, martin collins 1 said:

Scampton lies empty and the runways have closed crosses on them, it is not a million miles from Barkston, it would be nice if we knew that that avenue was being enquired about.........

If you want to know the exact current status I suggest you reach out the the BMFA direct in private, but I doubt they will tell you anything - communicating the target sites and latest status to members every five minutes is unlikely to help what I'm sure are quite delicate negotiations. Just let them get on with it.