Glow tube to pipe connection

cymaz

Looking at other good alternatives to Dubro barb fittings for 1/8” brass tube.

I was looking at silicon tube clamps, they’re not cheap now! Does anyone use wire for fixing on the tubing? I got a 100m or so of plastic coated garden wire. Is that suitable?

I’ve found this on eBay.

26139693-CBFD-400B-8FBC-E04B33EBBD82.thumb.png.6c39ab5198a87f811c251d2c7ce40db7.png

I've never used wire or clips on fuel tube/pipe connectors since I had some nice looking small wire springclips included with an ARTF model years ago. Seemed a good idea at the time so I used them and didn't think anything more of them..............until I had occasion to inspect the tank installation quite some afterwards and found that the clips were steadily cutting their way into the glow tubing.

Can't see there being a prob with tygon. Just a light roughing of the surface of brass/ali tube and glow tubing stays fast with the bond getting stronger with time. Have 15mm of tube pushed on and it'll never slip off.

I always radius the outside edge of the pipe so it doesn't cut into the soft silicon - especially important with the thin clunk tubing inside the tank where I use a fairly short length connected to another length of metal tube and then on to the clunk weight. Prevents the tube from curling back on itself in a hard landing and giving you an unexpected dead stick on the next flight. Happened to me once years ago - never again.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Denis Watkins said:

Do you mean fuel tube clips?

s-l500 (2).jpg

I have some, used them and IMO if you use the right size tube you don't need them.

Can't really get any more critical than a twin

Tiger Cat - clips not fitted 

Dual Ace - clips not fitted 

SG Mossie - clips not fitted 

Eurobat - clips not fitted ok its a twin engine if not two engines!

I say no more in case of the modeler's curse visits my flight box!

Jason, is that a thought, or an established cause of failure.
The reason I ask, I have found over the years, I’ve made a lot of aircraft, and broken them. Fuel tanks come as metric pipes, imperial pipes. Ditto tubing. 
Life is too short to make sure I’ve got the two varieties, in the tank size I want, so a clip of some sort is good. 
I use aluminium wire, but it can cut of care ain’t taken. My thought, try it, cut problem goes away, don’t over tighten so it applies pressure, not distortion?

I have a big hack on the bench, about two or three weeks from fitting out.

Edited by Don Fry
Premature pressing of post button

• 3 weeks later...