Hi I'm Nige and I am a planeaholic!

Konanige

So, I only started last winter by building VMC trainer, which I crashed First time out.

I now have 13 'foamies' including two gliders, 4 balsa builds under my belt 1 on the bench and about another 6 in the loft including 2 Tony Nijhuis EDF's.

Do I have a problem??

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have 6 models in flying in flying condition; 3 awaiting modification; one being repaired; another requiring the covering, radio installation and the fitting the engine; a "well-flown" WOT 4 which I dumped in the club hut and which came back to me fully renovated, it requires the fitting of the engine and radio; a foamy ARTF B17 Flying Fortress awaiting final assembly the wiring of which looks like an electrician's nightmare; a Dave Smith Models Aerostar awaiting renovation and a Flying Flea which was started by my late best friend over twenty-one years ago but never finished! Four unstarted kits lie in the shelves. These are all balsa and ply and except for the B17 and because I'm a "traditional modeller" they include only three ARTFs; only three are electric powered. They take up a fair bit of space because the smallest is a Super 60 with a 63" wingspan.

Yes my name is David Davis and I'm a planeaholic, though the term "plane"  is not acceptable within the RAF unless referring to the tail plane or the main plane!😉

My next project will be a 1/4 scale Fokker Triplane, the last of three models on my bucket list. 😊

Hi David, is the B17 foamie,  Hobbyking?   Just curious, as I had the Hobbyking B17 Flying Fortress a while back and then sold it on to my good friend who still flys it at the club.   If it is , then you will love it as it flys terrifically well with its very large wingspan.  Its looks so realistic when it's up there.  But your right about the wires,  there's a lot of them to contend with,   but overall a marvelous plane for foam.   

Over the years, I've come across people who throw themselves into the deep end when it comes to models and modelling, and in particular,  chaps who fill their workshops or garages with an inordinate number of models after only just starting out.

A few years ago we had a new member who claimed to have eighty models of all sorts in his collection - I had no reason to disbelieve him as he showed me some photos of all the stuff laid out in his garden. He lasted a couple of years in which he appeared over the field just a few times (always seemed to be too busy at work) and then never rejoined.

I think 'burn out' comes into play quite often, the attraction and excitement of becoming involved in the hobby, and seeing others flying becomes an obsession  which can't be sustained, either because of cost, lack of ability or just the shine wearing off - so they drift onto something else.

When I did quite a bit of training of new flyers, I became wary of the ones who had several other hobbies, went to the gym four times a week and were always going on about how busy they were at work -or other variations of how their precious spare time was used. I was caught out several times by those types - getting on very well with flying, and then suddenly rediscovering squash,badminton, flower arranging or whatever it might be, usually as winter came on and then never rejoining next year. A lot of time and effort wasted by everyone.

Such is life.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, David Davis 2 said:

Yes my name is David Davis and I'm a planeaholic, though the term "plane"  is not acceptable within the RAF unless referring to the tail plane or the main plane!😉

It is an aeroplane or an aircraft, not a plane or a kite.  " Reach for the sky"

• Like 1

Agree with Cuban 8 above. I have had two main hobbies for most of my life, model aircraft and 4x4 off road trials. And much the same, seen people come and go in both.

However my model club has done better than the 4x4 club which since Covid has lost members who did not return and is struggling to attract new.

1 hour ago, aidan mcatamney said:

Hi David, is the B17 foamie,  Hobbyking?   Just curious, as I had the Hobbyking B17 Flying Fortress a while back and then sold it on to my good friend who still flys it at the club.   If it is , then you will love it as it flys terrifically well with its very large wingspan.  Its looks so realistic when it's up there.  But your right about the wires,  there's a lot of them to contend with,   but overall a marvelous plane for foam.   

I've just been down to the cellar to check. There's no indication of the manufacturer in the instruction booklet  but it apparently it's a model by Starmax or the Banana Hobby Co. It has a two metre wingspan and is a bit bigger than the Hobby King version. It was given to me by a French clubmate in 2018 because the instructions are in English. I'll get it flying when I get around to it.

2 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

Over the years, I've come across people who throw themselves into the deep end when it comes to models and modelling, and in particular,  chaps who fill their workshops or garages with an inordinate number of models after only just starting out.

A few years ago we had a new member who claimed to have eighty models of all sorts in his collection - I had no reason to disbelieve him as he showed me some photos of all the stuff laid out in his garden. He lasted a couple of years in which he appeared over the field just a few times (always seemed to be too busy at work) and then never rejoined.

I think 'burn out' comes into play quite often, the attraction and excitement of becoming involved in the hobby, and seeing others flying becomes an obsession  which can't be sustained, either because of cost, lack of ability or just the shine wearing off - so they drift onto something else.

When I did quite a bit of training of new flyers, I became wary of the ones who had several other hobbies, went to the gym four times a week and were always going on about how busy they were at work -or other variations of how their precious spare time was used. I was caught out several times by those types - getting on very well with flying, and then suddenly rediscovering squash,badminton, flower arranging or whatever it might be, usually as winter came on and then never rejoining next year. A lot of time and effort wasted by everyone.

Such is life.

I had a similar conversation on this point with Jonathan Harper when I went to pick up my Laser 160 V Twin. Apparently many people learn to fly then spend thousands of pounds on the hobby before they suddenly drop it and take up something else. This applies to other hobbies too.

• 6 months later...
On 08/05/2023 at 12:56, David Davis 2 said:

I had a similar conversation on this point with Jonathan Harper when I went to pick up my Laser 160 V Twin. Apparently many people learn to fly then spend thousands of pounds on the hobby before they suddenly drop it and take up something else. This applies to other hobbies too.

I think part of this is actually caused by the more experienced fliers giving advice and experience. In a conversation, a solution to a problem may be "I got one of these" (possibly years after any initial problem). Newby immediately goes and buys something that just complicates matters, adds to the cost, and possibly never gets used.

We sometimes forget we've accumulated stuff over many years, and finally hit upon something that works perfectly for us....... just not for everyone.

I have just bought another brand new plane, a Tiger 60 which I received on Friday morning from Royal Mail.  Its out of the box and on my work stand.  Today, I will put a 3rd coat of Pollyureathane on the interior of the fuselage to fuel proof it.  Usually 5 or 6 coats in total.  This fuel proofs it superbly and I've been doing this successfully for 38 years.  I can never have enough planes and they will all get flown .   Some of my planes are well over 20 years of age and in brilliant condition.  This new plane brings my present tally to 16 .    I have a brand new ASP 91 fourstroke waiting to be mounted.  This will be the perfect aircraft for it.  Going to my local hobby store later today to buy six Hitec 422 servos and three Dubro low bounce wheels to replace the stock gear.  Whenever I die, someone is going to get a lot of good cheap planes.  I hope its not for a while just yet as there is still plenty of flying left in me and I dearly love this hobby.  Some people like to spend their money on other things, I like to spend it on rc planes and accessories.   

• Like 3