First taste of the sky

toto

Advert

Toto

One way of keeping the correct throttle setting is to use the facility to set a beep for your datum throttle setting.  The aircraft will bebin trim at only 1 power setting.  I would think that almost all of today's Tx will have this facility.  With an IC engine you used the engine noise to set your datum power but with electric power it's not so audible.  On my JR Tx it's called "Stick Alert" but it may well be called something different on other makes of Txs.

Oh, re the procedure turn, the second turn is 270 deg.  A 360 deg turn would see you heading directly away from the crowd line.  Just to clarify, what you want to achieve is a 180 deg reversal of direction but to fly back along the same track.  

Peter

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that Peter. Appreciated on the correction.

Another good reason for practicing is ....... I believe its part of the A test so not just some fancy " would like to have " manoeuvre or set piece.

Toto 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, toto said:

I believe its part of the A test so not just some fancy " would like to have " manoeuvre or set piece.

Nope! the A test will require you to fly a reversed circuit, in other words if you have been flying clockwise circuits then you will be required to fly one anti-clockwise, in doing so you may well perform a procedure turn but not necessarily so. The only stipulation is that the initial turn to reverse the circuit must be away from the pilot's box.

• Like 1

Ron beat me to it!

@toto visit the BMFA website, find and download what is actually required for an A certificate, as it's not always what people think it is

Re centre beep on throttle, although lots (most?) radios can do it, I suspect you'll get a beep when the stick is at 50%, which isn't necessarily the throttle value necessary to maintain level flight... and for most models that value probably changes with weather conditions, or other variables... personally, I find the beeping irritating, but that's just me

• Like 1

Hi Grumpy,

I have the A test downloaded and in my flightfolder, it's just been a while since I've studied it. I'll need to revisit it ..... several times ...... before I book to sit it. Likewise with Article 16 to prepare for any questions asked.

I believe that if you take the theory test on line and can demonstrate to the examiner on the day that you have passed it, then any questions are restricted to you site specific safety protocols. I may of course have misunderstood that but I'll make sure that I have done the required swatting before hand anyway.

Toto

Hi GG - I didn't say a centre beep but a beep set at your datum power.  As it happens, my datum power is at half throttle but that's a function of how much power is in my model which I use to fly the FAI aerobatic P schedule. 

I do have a windy setting and a calm setting as different model memories that I can switch between without hsving to rebind the Tx/Rx - a feature on my JR XG11 Tx that may or may not be available on others.  However, apart from when flying FAI aerobatics I just use one datum power setting.  I've never felt the need to have more than 1 datum power setting.

@Peter Jenkinsregarding the beep...Ah, I see. Yes, I think any OpenTX/EdgeTX tranny could easily do a beep at a pre-programmed point. Smart people could probably be able to use a slider/pot to change the position of that beep as well..... I suspect most mid/high range sets with other operating systems could too. (I'd have to make it haptic feedback not a beep though 🙂 )

Re calm/windy settings, I'd never thought of that tbh.... something I'd put on a switch if I did it. Might have a try.

Your particular field of interest keeps raising interesting questions and solutions that a 'hack' flier like me would never consider. Keep 'em coming!

As regards toto doing it, I think he's possibly better off concentrating on just learning to fly at this point - enough to think about I expect!

• Like 1

What GG said. It strikes me that, at this stage of his model flying training, Toto would be much better concentrating on learning to fly, getting the hours in the air, enjoying himself  and familiarising himself with the sit of his aeroplane at different throttle settings in different conditions, rather than worrying about attempting to programme his transmitter to beep at him when his throttle  is set at a particular datum power. 

9 hours ago, toto said:

Hi Grumpy,

I have the A test downloaded and in my flightfolder, it's just been a while since I've studied it. I'll need to revisit it ..... several times ...... before I book to sit it. Likewise with Article 16 to prepare for any questions asked.

I believe that if you take the theory test on line and can demonstrate to the examiner on the day that you have passed it, then any questions are restricted to you site specific safety protocols. I may of course have misunderstood that but I'll make sure that I have done the required swatting before hand anyway.

Toto

If you are a BMFA member you can do their registration competency certificate online, https://rcc.bmfa.uk/rcc and add it to your BMFA membership. Note you can keep redoing it until you pass, it's no problem.

11 hours ago, Peter Jenkins said:

Toto

One way of keeping the correct throttle setting is to use the facility to set a beep for your datum throttle setting.  The aircraft will bebin trim at only 1 power setting.  

Surely that would only work if the wind speed is constant and the model trimmed for that speed, what happens on the downwind leg?

8 hours ago, Peter Jenkins said:

Hi GG - I didn't say a centre beep but a beep set at your datum power.  As it happens, my datum power is at half throttle but that's a function of how much power is in my model which I use to fly the FAI aerobatic P schedule. 

I do have a windy setting and a calm setting as different model memories that I can switch between without hsving to rebind the Tx/Rx - a feature on my JR XG11 Tx that may or may not be available on others.  However, apart from when flying FAI aerobatics I just use one datum power setting.  I've never felt the need to have more than 1 datum power setting.

FAI aerobatics require constant speed in manoeuvres,  that involves constant throttle manipulation to achieve. so I would of thought that throttle control is probably the most used/ practiced. Is a beep that helpful?

The tendency to gain altitude (and/or fly too far away) is, I think, due in large measure to the brain’s ability to zoom in on the model when you are concentrating hard on it. I would never advocate taking your eyes off the model but do suggest you consciously try to draw your attention back to ‘wide angle’ mode from time to time to help judge where you are relative to your surroundings .

3 hours ago, Learner said:

FAI aerobatics require constant speed in manoeuvres,  that involves constant throttle manipulation to achieve. so I would of thought that throttle control is probably the most used/ practiced. Is a beep that helpful?

But Toto wants to fly at a fairly constant airspeed not groundspeed in order to maintain a constant altitude without adjusting elevator trim, therefore he only needs to alter the throttle trim when/if the model has wandered above or below where it should be regardless of windspeed.

IMO a buzzer indicating trim setting would only be an unwanted distraction. 

Edited by PatMc

4 hours ago, Learner said:

Surely that would only work if the wind speed is constant and the model trimmed for that speed, what happens on the downwind leg?

I think you're confusing airspeed and groundspeed, a common misconception for learners.

A model trimmed for constant airspeed at a constant height and fixed throttle setting will appear to be flying slower into wind and faster downwind, from your stationary position. Whatever you do, don't throttle back on the downwind leg!

9 minutes ago, PatMc said:

But Toto wants to fly at a fairly constant airspeed not groundspeed in order to maintain a constant altitude without adjusting elevator trim, therefore he only needs to alter the throttle trim when/if the model has wandered above or below where it should be regardless of windspeed.

IMO Toto shouldn't be touching his throttle trim at all - it's an electric model and that throttle trim lever is completely redundant, third in line behind the chocolate fireguard and the ashtray mounted on the motorbike handlebars. As you say a buzzer indicating throttle position would be an unwelcome and unnecessary distraction.

1 hour ago, PatMc said:

1 hour ago, Nick Cripps said:

I think you're confusing airspeed and groundspeed, a common misconception for learners.

A model trimmed for constant airspeed at a constant height and fixed throttle setting will appear to be flying slower into wind and faster downwind, from your stationary position. Whatever you do, don't throttle back on the downwind leg!

Doesn't air speed reduce with tailwind so requiring more throttle? Making a beep pointless.

1 hour ago, David P Williams said:

No. The aircraft is flying at a given airspeed in a ‘block’ of air. It doesn't know about wind. Wind may be moving the block of air relative to the ground but the aircraft only sees its speed relative to the air around it, not relative to the ground.

Thanks, don't think I'll ever understand the theory. 

But just realised I should fly more in the wind especially as the plane knows nothing about it.😉

To try and reduce the slow increase in throttle setting during flight, how about increasing the strength of the ratchet on the throttle? It will not stop it happening but you may at least feel the increase in clicks in you fingers / thumb.

11 hours ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

I would just go fly, all normal stuff when learning, recognising faults is first step to curing them, stick times your answer.

Until passing my A I followed the advice above.

There will be plenty of time after to work out for yourself what functions you do and do not want to use from your TX.

Whilst on the subject of throttle usage, there is the question of throttle stick 'feel'.  Should the throttle ratchet be set hard and notchy or quite loose? Should any sort of detent be used at all? For years (since learning to fly helis) I've gone with a completely smooth throttle stick action by slipping a suitable short length of thin walled fuel tubing over the throttle detent strip where it contacts the ratchet, and adjusting the tension as normal to give the effect I like. The result is more like a smooth volume slider on a Hi-Fi and I prefer this type of action for all the models that I fly, both rotary and fixed wing.

It's incredible how differently throttles can be set by individuals - I've flown mates' trannies where the stick is so tight it leaves a deep mark in your thumb after a few minutes. I don't think that can be ideal - equally too loose may give problems. Mind you, those among us who treat the throttle stick as a switch.......full on or full off, needn't worry too much.
😀

Edited by Cuban8

Well back from Sellafield today. Was going to charge the four batteries that I depleted at the weekend but maybe a bit early. They will only start dropping their levels again before Saturday so may as well leave them to nearer the time.

Can't really be bothered doing anything more strenuous than that even though there are other things I could be doing.

Here's to the weekend.

Toto