Summer 2023 is here, who has been flying then?

Advert

83rd anniversary of Adler Tag today and I always like to chuck up a few representative models into the air to commemorate the date. I'd hoped to have my FMS Stuka ready to go for today, but I still haven't installed the 3D printed trapeze bomb release and you can't have a Stuka without a bomb.  Forecast was for 3mph winds and sunshine, so loaded up a few relevant models and set off. On arrival at the field the wind was 8mph and quite blustery, but spirits weren't dampened and we had a decent line up of Battle of Britain fighters. 

2146335152_adlertaglineup1.thumb.jpg.24ad1d6dc82610508225d9c36b80a40b.jpg

Some good flights with Dynam Spitfire and Ripmax Bf109E carving up the sky, plus my wee SEMFF Bf109e profile model, Best fun was the streamer combat of Spitfire 1a K-LB and Messerschmitt Bf109e Weiss 14, which cavorted about the sky but, again, not a single cut to be had. Earlier flight with two of the Emils did yield a mid air, both models losing their props and descending with no damage and no kills claimed. Brilliant fun. 🙂

In the stronger winds the stabilisation on the Messerschmitts coped perfectly, as always and when it got a little calmer later on Bob had a 21 minute flight with his Emil. A fitting set of flights for Eagle Day.

1418221802_AdlerTag15thAugust23-21.thumb.jpg.01807f5c5d09c35585de7913713f1626.jpg232780774_AdlerTag15thAugust23-24.thumb.jpg.fa986bced0f4347ddb5951999a5260bb.jpg1251730775_AdlerTag15thAugust23-22.thumb.jpg.f3df1e97dfe240b86c58721797658ee7.jpg

• Like 3

We were also treated to some Red Arrow purple smoke on - GO! aerobatics, the wee Hawk's navigation lights and the purple streamer adding to the appeal of these models of which I think there are about 6 in the club at the last count.

1070981980_AdlerTag15thAugust23-6.thumb.jpg.0c20ecdda419ab6c5deb6232173506f0.jpg537151627_AdlerTag15thAugust23-7.thumb.jpg.1ad24b10a6fcd90833038449be6be6b6.jpg382964904_AdlerTag15thAugust23-5.thumb.jpg.f4b35188e42c9b2ebbc21711ffd6e6be.jpg1463358943_AdlerTag15thAugust23-13.thumb.jpg.05397e71cd3e3fef5720f4787ade3a7e.jpg919123644_AdlerTag15thAugust23-12.thumb.jpg.e36d4e374fc81ea11bcfab431fb4e74e.jpg1179215470_AdlerTag15thAugust23-11.thumb.jpg.00597b942db206a207f7139cff3ac6a7.jpg1898176426_AdlerTag15thAugust23-17.thumb.jpg.93868fc70d298a822086e6ec845cf21f.jpg

The crepe paper streamers are just attached with a small piece of masking tape and are great fun to fly with. I was thinking of sourcing some Izal ones to simulate glycol smoke from the wee Spitfires and Messerschmitts - they would probably break the props though in the highly unlikely event of a successful cut  ;).

• Like 4

No flying today but we had a presence at a local playing field 'Fun in the sun' activity week...... had about 30 7-14 year olds making and flying paper planes, launching stomp rockets, throwing foam gliders about, launching whirlygigs, and using the BMA sims that Andy S kindly brought.

A good day out, with possible an appetite or two whetted.

• Like 2

Unlike many who contribute to this thread, the weather in this neck of the world, has not been great, not even good. After a reasonable June (I think), there has been little respite from wall to wall rain and high winds. Although it is seldom other than breezy here, by the coast.

When I restarted modelling, shortly after retirement, I would fly essentially daily. Then I lived one mile from one club field and 1.5 miles from my other power club. I would be at 1.5 mile club in about 5 minutes, the one mile club generally in 5 minutes. In winter, when there was a high pressure, I would fly on the municipal golf club that backed onto my garden, as it was closed to golfing.

Now my club field is just over 10 miles away. It now takes at least 35 minutes. It should be an easy hassle free journey, but is not. From road works that suddenly appear on the three viable routes. Then there was the anti frackers, wandering across the road, the police more interested in interfering with ordinary motorists. I seldom get to the field now.

It does seem that not many are getting to the field either. AS entering the rough farm track, I was very aware of the central grass ridge was brushing across the underside of the car. Much of the car park crass was long. Although the runway was pretty well maintained and shortish.

However I have made it a few times in recent weeks, yesterday being one. Now I can see better, many of the planes I have spared from aviating, are being pressed back into service. I no longer fly around their quirks, I am slowly bringing them all to a similar predictable level. Being old, I don not remember which had very sensitive pitch/elevators, which had similar aileron issues, or in what combinations.

Yesterday one more model was sorted, my replacement delta. It used to squirm out of rolls, who ever tried to fly it. An additional pair of servos driving the Elevons has done the trick.

The down side, was the further embarrassment of a A1/3 type small motorised glider, which had an initial Lipo issue, a new one purchased via Amazon, which turned out to be duff on the flight line, as two cells had failed. A borrowed smaller Lipo came close to ending in disaster. I really, really, should have checked accurately the CG, as moving back ever so slightly resulted in a wild ride under power. As voices around screamed for the club (truly) best flyer to take over, I resisted. Not until I had it under control, or what passed from something approaching control, with some height gained. To achieve that goal I kept on a modicum of power, still pretty wild, although I got there. Only then did I hand over, I was immediately was chided that I had power on, there was no point on explaining why. Things did not get better as the new pilot found the model was extremely sensitive in pitch, the that directional control was not apparent. The model did come down in one piece. Then it became that the young pilot had never flown rudder, elevator only, being surprised that the rudder was on the right hand stick, rather than the multi channel left.

I have only one more model to get sorted with my colleges help, which is also sensitive in pitch, witha reluctance to nicely take of.

Most others flew reasonably well, other than many landings were untidy due to a cross wind.

As for me, I would like to get to the field more often, I have a hanger full of models that have not flown for years, which I want to fly, even if it means some will crash. It does seem I was much better when I was younger, that is what my memory and recent experiences are indicating.

Just keep flying Erfolg, I keep thinking I should give up small fast things but if they come my way, well you know. The one in the pic is hairy at times but has lead a charmed life and is still going after several whoopsy's .

I do fly hand launch on my farm but it is 45 min trip to club strip, more if traffic is heavy and took an hour and ten to get there on Wednesday.

SAM_1781.JPG

Managed to get in 6 flights on the Riot this morning - first leccy only session for Yonks! Then it got windy.

Then our mower broke. And got transported to the fixers. Then we realised why it was broken. Brought it back and fixed it. Then something else broke, mower back at fixers, scuppering our plans to tart up the field for the weekend 'taster sessions'..... ☹️

1 minute ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Managed to get in 6 flights on the Riot this morning - first leccy only session for Yonks! Then it got windy.

Then our mower broke. And got transported to the fixers. Then we realised why it was broken. Brought it back and fixed it. Then something else broke, mower back at fixers, scuppering our plans to tart up the field for the weekend 'taster sessions'..... ☹️

What's up with mower ?

I had an afterthought with respect to model flying when returning from any absence. I heard the sound of people panicking, whenever anything untoward happens. I had not realised that my pastime of playing video games, particularly those with shooting/fighting seems to help when a model gets into a sticky situation. You learn not to panic, that all is not lost, until it is. Plus a degree of planning and re-planning (plan B) is all part of the game. The mindset seems to help when flying a model.

My flight simulator comes nowhere near!

I also now believe I now tend to go to the field to meet and talk with others. Flying the model is part of the reason.

Then again I am probably one of perhaps two or three who build and fly their own models, perhaps the only one who designs ( if not to strong a term) their models. The vast majority of the remainder all seem to be ARTF types. Now giant scale foam models have appeared. Even gliders are expertly constructed and finished, to a standard I could never achieve.  All this comes at a cost I see as significant. 

I must confess that I do now fly a second hand wot 4. It flies itself, apparently straight from a box. It is my number 2 model, for each visit.

Non the less all seem to enjoy flying trouble free flying. 

Edited by Erfolg