A word of thanks to the RCME forum

paul devereux

It is well known that people rarely give positive feedback as they are mostly motivated when they feel they have been short-changed, but I just wanted it to be on the record saying that this forum has been so very helpful.

Model flying has only been a recent interest of mine (work, horses and PC gaming are my main interests) but I took up RC flying a year ago. I've used various forums (RCG, YT, etc) but this has been the most helpful one. Real life flying is the main learner of course, but this forum has taught me to programme a radio and trim a model. I just thought I'd mention that, some of my threads have got a bit heated, but to me, that's all learning.

• Like 4

Its so easy ti take things for granted and also to let rip.

As you say this is a brill place to have queries answered, albeit with differing opinions. It can be funny and thought provoking. In the end it s abiut doing sometning we all enjoy. And whilst it may be a family like all families occasionaly we get annoyed with others. Take a breath. 

So to ALL out there. Thanks i love this place

• Like 2

The forum is only what you make it. I think the vast majority of members would speak highly of their appreciation to the folks that provide, maintain and police ( through necessity ) the facility that we all enjoy and at no cost.

We all have to play nice by the same framework of rules and most manage it. 

So every now and again ..... spare a thought for those who have to make it work and remember ..... we are all dispensable.

I speak from experience.

Toto

• Like 1

On 28/07/2023 at 23:12, toto said:

The forum is only what you make it. I think the vast majority of members would speak highly of their appreciation to the folks that provide, maintain and police ( through necessity ) the facility that we all enjoy and at no cost.

We all have to play nice by the same framework of rules and most manage it. 

So every now and again ..... spare a thought for those who have to make it work and remember ..... we are all dispensable.

I speak from experience.

Toto

Oh, I agree, this is a very helpful forum, but there are a few 'committee' jobsworths who probably don't actually fly but sit on their folding chairs telling newcomers a chuck glider or a rubber-powered model can take your eye out if you try it. Lol. Not doing the hobby any good imo.

• Sad 3

Paul, I really don't know why you have started this thread yet in the one above take a swipe at people you call "committee" jobsworths who probably don't actually fly but sit on their folding chairs etc.....

Most of those who have pointed out safety issues are experienced RC model pilots.  Some might even have full size aviation experience.  I'm sure there are quite a few like me who have been flying model aircraft (free flight, control line and radio control) from our teenage years (or younger) and, in my case, am comfortably into my 70s but still flying regularly and in competition.  We try and pass on our hard won experience and yet you, with little or no experience, think you can criticise us for our words of wisdom.  

The issue of flight safety is paramount.  This includes preparation for flight, which might cover a wide range of topics, actually conducting yourself in a manner that shows that you do take all the required safety precautions that hard won experience has shown are essential, and learning from the experience of others to make sure you don't unnecessarily do the wrong thing.

• Like 18

Paul, I have known a few club members who didn't fly, they're known as penguins in my club, but I've never met a committee member who didn't fly.

Last week an old friend visited me. We went flying and I asked her to stay on the other side of the barrier with my dog while I was flying. If I hadn't and either of them had been hit by a model, our insurance would have been invalid... and yes, I am on the committee.

We've never had a model hit anyone but it does happen, it happened in Spain earlier in the year, killing the man involved. However, we did have an accident when a propeller blade flew off and hit the owner in the chest necessitating a trip in an ambulance, several stitches and an overnight stay in hospital. He was an experienced aeromodeller but didn't realise that you should not fit a propeller designed for an electric motor to an i/c engine.

I have been flying for thirty-three years, agreed with absolutely no distinction whatsoever, but during that time I have found myself with absolutely no control over the model on three occasions. On the first occasion I had enough time to shout, "Out of control" twice before the model crashed into the adjacent field but less than ten yards from the fence. On the second occasion, the model, an electric-powered Keil Kraft Junior 60, betrayed it's free-flight heritage and glided into a wheat field on the other side of the road where it was lost until it went through the combine harvester and on the third occasion, my model suddenly dropped a wing and dived into the ground. No-one was hurt but they could have been.

Then there was the time when somebody's HiBoy, if you can fly one of those you can fly anything, crashed into the treasurer's Volvo estate. The spinner punched a hole into the rear wing. Then there was the time when the treasurer's hand slipped as he picked up his Acrowot. The propeller cut a deep gash in his forearm necessitating another trip to the hospital. I could go on but you get my drift.

The hobby is great fun and caters for all tastes; scale modellers, sports modellers, competitive modellers, vintagents, and ARTF assemblers but it is potentially dangerous, make no mistake about it.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, paul devereux said:

Oh, I agree, this is a very helpful forum, but there are a few 'committee' jobsworths who probably don't actually fly but sit on their folding chairs telling newcomers a chuck glider or a rubber-powered model can take your eye out if you try it. Lol. Not doing the hobby any good imo.

Hmmmm,  it's a bit strange for someone who says that they started in the hobby a year ago and who isn't in a club to make such an observation targeted at the more experienced members in this forum who have provided entirely sound advice. Something doesn't add up here. Notwithstanding the obvious baggage attached to that sideswipe at those forum members the terminology used suggests that there might well be a bit more to it than that.

• Like 10

Hi Paul,

I'm a bit disappointed that you start a thread, initially, full of praise for the help and existence of the forum, then within a few short posts turn it into the exact opposite ..... a shooting range. Perhaps you should join a gun club. There again, given your approach to safety .... maybe not.

The committee.... jobsworths that you mention, give up their time freely to provide the very facility that you use free of charge. 

You decry clubs even though you cant be bothered or open minded enough to go and give one a try. If you did, I might at least credit your view / opinion with some sort of balanced reasoning. 

I'm more convinced that this post is , just like a few others, being used as a catalyst for yet another rant on anything to do with authority, safety and regulation etc. Such a shame. There is a bit of a pattern emerging here Paul. I think I would be very careful if it was my wish to be taken with any kind of seriousness and not completely alienate myself from credited participation. ..... talking to yourself is one of the first signs of madness.

Toto

• Like 9

44 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

I suspect to provoke the responses that have been seen in the last few posts!

Exactly. We all know the OP likes to court controversy here, this is just another example of that. He is also one of those newcomers who is happy to accept advice, but only when it concurs with his pre-existing (and often demonstrably incorrect/unsafe) views - anything else is just “committee jobsworths hurting the hobby IMO, LOL”… 🙁 

It is a shame; I know we should be encouraging him to join a club to further his skills and learn from those with more experience, but I severely doubt that would work out. Members of any club he joins are likely to have a very stressful (and probably fruitless) time attempting to show him how to operate safely with other modellers and aircraft operating in the same space. Ultimately he (and everyone else) are probably safer and happier if he continues to operate on his private land where the only person he can put at risk is himself. 

• Like 9

I thought there was something which didn't add up on having developed such an attitude to committee members, having started the hobby just a year ago and not being in a club.

The fact is that Paul didn't actually start the hobby just a year ago, as claimed,  at all. He's been posting here for more than five years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1