The Big Question ?

RICHARD WILLS

Advert

thanks Dave . Everyone should have a go on an exiting model . 

Just try the aileron trick for example . To try it crudely , just get a piece of standard masking tape , which becomes the correct spacing , and a soft pencil to create the grey dust . If you do it on the pale underside of something , you dont need the white chalk . 

Just remember that all the valleys would be lit by the sun the same direction . 

IMG_6472.jpg

So apart from a few bits that I skipped ( wing reinforcement tape , wing bolt , servo pushrods )  , the Fw190 is done . 

I think you will agree that we achieved all that we set out to do . This is a very fast build , stiff and light model . I will be testing a very cheap dolly design I have in mind so that even if you turn up at the field alone , you can still fly . 

The aim is to build these as simple models to belly land , but a retro retract pack will be available later on . For now though, lets enjoy the simple approach and try to encourage some of those ARTF warbird flyers to have a go . Here are some pictures of the 190 basking in early winter sunshine . 

IMG_6483.jpg

IMG_6476.jpg

IMG_6477.jpg

IMG_6478.jpg

IMG_6479.jpg

IMG_6481.jpg

IMG_6482.jpg

• Like 13

I struggled self launching my Cambrian FW190 and planned to experiment with a dolly, but then tried an Frsky S6R stabilised receiver. Works brilliantly - just give the plane a good lob and it adjusts and acccelerates straight across the patch until I'm ready to switch off the Gyro and take control. I'll be using these for all future handlaunchers

21 hours ago, Glenn Philbrick said:

I will be interested to see your dolly. I've tried a couple of designs with mixed results. The problem is steering them on take off, the models I tried did not have rudder so in the end I made a dolly with its own rx, battery and steerable wheels.

These models have a rudder, so not an issue. A properly set up dolly, headed into wind, shouldn't actually need steering. Some of my dolly-launched funfighters don't have a rudder and they manage to take off from the dolly with no difficulty - have even launched a Zagi on the dolly without issue - the key is that it must be pointed into wind.

• Like 1

Two quick questions:

1. How will one place an order once the time comes? I’ll need to pass instructions to Santa who will be handling on my behalf (!)

2. Think I’ve got a 4250 sized brushless motor - 800kv I suspect. That seems about the right size? I’d either fly off 4s or better yet lower the prop pitch and use a pair of 2200 3s in series to give me 6s. Is that in the ballpark?

2 hours ago, Lipo Man said:

Two quick questions:

1. How will one place an order once the time comes? I’ll need to pass instructions to Santa who will be handling on my behalf (!)

2. Think I’ve got a 4250 sized brushless motor - 800kv I suspect. That seems about the right size? I’d either fly off 4s or better yet lower the prop pitch and use a pair of 2200 3s in series to give me 6s. Is that in the ballpark?

An 800kv on 4s or an 1100Kv on 2x3s in parallel will both work , so use what you have . The KV rating can be 100 either side . 

Ive put you on the list for a 190 (is that correct ?) . As the old hands will know, I will contact you when your kit is ready to go and take some form of payment then . 

The main thing is that I deal with all of my lads on the forum first . Thats why the website will find out later . 

Don't want any queue jumpers nicking someones kit 😉

The other thing I will nudge you on when I am ready to do the despatch , is do you want decals and or spinners ? That will save you a separate postal fee of £4 . 

For those that want a 190 and Tempest , the postage on the second kit will be free as it will come along after the 190 , but that's not their fault . 

Ps , If anyone is wondering about whether they can use a motor they have in the spares box , either chuck it up here or send me a Pm . 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Richard,

We spoke the other day but I thought I'd post in the thread here as well. I'm in for a Tempest please, I have clearly been inspired by Pierre Clostermann having recently re-read The Big Show.

As a newcomer to scale, I think your demonstration of adding decoration is just what many of us need to get started in this area.

Having seen the FW in person, the techniques are really effective and in my eyes looks a lot more natural than the many of the ARTF foamies I have seen around. Oh, its also a nice light model as has already been said.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 1

Ah Neil , It was nice to meet you the other night . I will put you down for a Tempest. Of course as a local you can always ask me how to do stuff , but it is also useful (if you feel up to it ) to ask the same questions on here . This whole thread and the two designs are a result of the need for us old timers to get more people involved .

Consequently , to us , people like you are giving us very useful insight in helping to break down barriers . 

People like you and Dan H are just what we need . Nobody here will ridicule you or think you have asked a dumb question and I personally dont mind how many times I have to explain stuff . If you don't get it , I haven't explained it properly .

New blood is vital and will bring more designs and more fun . 

• Like 4

I have a pair of 3748 800KV 4S motors out of my foam (wash my mouth out with castor) P38 (used to run 12x7 three blade so 12x8 should be ok for the motor) is that going to be ok? Clearly go for a 2 blade prop if its hand launch. 

PS the 3 blade set up used to pull 42A if that helps on 4S5500 lipo

PPS spinners and decals for all, cheers

• Like 1

I'm getting on with the Tempest design nicely , but will get the Fw190 out first . We have about 24 requests for the 190 on the forum and perhaps another 3 or 4 unofficial locally. (whats official ?) . That is pretty good . I'm particularly pleased with the newer chaps having a go on either design . I know we will all support them and encourage them . Perhaps when they get their kits , they may want to say which county or club they fly in as there may be one of our established builders local to them . 

Now , regarding chosen colour schemes . I have negotiated a bulk price for a full set of Crosses and Swastikas x25 . The cost per set will be £17.80 .

You don't have to say if you want them until I have your kit ready to send .

Graham R is going to do the individual coloured numbers, and  they will go in an envelope afterwards , for a few quid and the cost of a stamp . 

However , I am gambling on a few people doing the same scheme, as he will not be best pleased if he gets 25 different requests . 

Obviously , my chosen Red 23 will be an option . A black and white chevron as squadron leader is also possible . 

If you do find yourself looking at an obscure scheme , the numbers can be cut from solartrim , which is what I did on the prototype . Just depends how confident you are .

Not that difficult . Just find the right font on your pc . Size to fit , print in paper then trace onto coloured solartrim .

Newbies are best to tag onto one of the main schemes . 

If you are concerned about visibility ( a valid consideration ), you could just add white wing tips to the usual mottled grey . This works well and still looks credible . 

Some of the day fighter sent to the Balkans kept their western front colours but adopted the white wing tips for the Mediterranean theatre . 

• Like 2