The Big Question ?

RICHARD WILLS

1 hour ago, Lipo Man said:

Another beginner question: how to shape the tail fin and horizontal stabiliser? I can simply round the leading edge, but what about the trailing edge? Do I carve to a sharp edge like the wing, or something more “blunt”? As usual a picture is worth a thousand words!

In a perfect aerodynamic world , the moving tail surfaces would have a trailing edge like that of a wing . ie gradual taper to almost a point . 

However , we do throw our models about in the back of a car and let them fall over in the garage and so a simple rounded edge is more practical and makes no difference to flying performance since a tiny percentage of drag is not of interest to us .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advert

On 28/12/2023 at 13:19, RICHARD WILLS said:

Before I leave the musing as to what might follow the 190 /Tempest dog fight double, I feel I must ask one obvious but possibly overlooked question.

This kind of happened before when we went all round the houses and then people put their hand up for a P51 .

So here is the question . 

When I were a lad , I couldnt get enough of the Battle of Britain film , Spitfires/109s Hurries and Heinkels . Later in life I remember drooling over the OK models/pilot models  109 and Spitfire . 

Does that mean that a "Proper " 109e and Spitfire with all the whistles and bells would be a suitable consideration ? Or is that too mainstream ?

I would want them to look exactly like this 

M

109e.jpg

ME109 for me.. Got a spit already.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

In a perfect aerodynamic world , the moving tail surfaces would have a trailing edge like that of a wing . ie gradual taper to almost a point . 

However , we do throw our models about in the back of a car and let them fall over in the garage and so a simple rounded edge is more practical and makes no difference to flying performance since a tiny percentage of drag is not of interest to us .

I thought TE to a point was not such a good idea due to oscillating vortexes it sets up where a a bit more of a blunt TE was preferred or I dreamt it as a reason for not doing pointy TE's 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Chris Walby said:

I thought TE to a point was not such a good idea due to oscillating vortexes it sets up where a a bit more of a blunt TE was preferred or I dreamt it as a reason for not doing pointy TE's 🤣 

I also understood having not pointy TE's on the wing tends to reduce a wing stalling, so I don't think you've been dreaming it!

1 hour ago, Chris Walby said:

I was taught that sharp TE=speed, blunt (square) TE=agility - aerobatics 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

I was taught that sharp TE=speed, blunt (square) TE=agility - aerobatics 

Until you do something unexpected to a narrow LE. Then you learn what a low level stall looks like, or wing drop from hell. Ex pylon racer. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone. I've been following the threads and looking forward to getting my Tempest. Meantime I ordered this item from Ebay Edinburgh Scooters EC3 Y Harness to parallel my 3s 2200 batteries. Received today and impressed by the quality. Only £2.49 delivered. 

17047119498953719703360637324854.jpg

1 hour ago, Dave Naylor said:

Hi everyone. I've been following the threads and looking forward to getting my Tempest. Meantime I ordered this item from Ebay Edinburgh Scooters EC3 Y Harness to parallel my 3s 2200 batteries. Received today and impressed by the quality. Only £2.49 delivered. 

17047119498953719703360637324854.jpg

I gave up EC3 connectors when I found some suppliers make the connection contact pull back and some push through...and I had chucked them all in the same draw!

I like the XT series + quite a few batteries come with them as default.

Yep -it's been a point of discussion on here before.  I almost lost a model whilst using an EC5 adaptor some time ago - the plastic sleeve was making good contact and giving the impression that all was well, but the metal bullet was  very loose on later examination. The motor stopped turning as the model proceeded downwind to turn onto finals and I had no control, luckily the model was extremely well trimmed and, with no input from me, executed two complete , relatively small, flat turns and landed, wheels down, no power, with minimal damage. You can bet I had that adaptor whipped out of there sharpish and soldered on some proper 4mm bullets.

I used 1 piece for the rear underside 2 pieces for each lower fuselage side 2 for the upper fuselage, 1 small piece for the fuselage top 1 piece for the cowl over the ply odd bits fo the wing fillets. Start at the rear underside, don't come up the side overlap the bottom with the side pieces. Always work up and forward  that way overlaps are less conspicuous and any joins are not facing the slipstream, there should not be any on this model as it is straight forward with no complex curves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Although not taking part in the build due to my incredible shrinking flat, I do have interest in following your progress. I also, during our delightful weather, have another warbird passion, DCS especially the warbirds of ww2, the Anton being one I have. So to confirm that picture of the pilot trying to see where the hell your going..... also the real (simulated) flight characteristics are no where near as friendly as the model.

As you know Paul , I have access to the same game . Its incredibly realistic and sanctioned by Stephen Grey from the Fighter Collection at Duxford . 

The windscreen area when you sit in the 190 is on the face of it , similar to a P51 . However , the instrument coaming is much higher and the end result , is that the 190 has about half the glass area of the P51 looking forward . in fact , surprisingly , the 109 has better forward vision by a fair margin . 

Landing the 190 is "interesting " because you cant a thing . 

• Like 1