So what plans can I buy instead

Sam Longley

I have unfortunatelygrounded my Calamito. I have repaired it, but now want something (shall we say) more accurate . I quite fancied a Bolero, or something similar but NOT smaller as my eyes are getting aged. I do NOT like the WOT range of planes having had a few.

I have trawled the ususal shop websites Sussex, Leeds, Kings Lyn etc etc But stocks of everything under £zillions is out of stock or high wing or scale. None of which I want.

I would like a replacement for the Calamito, but they are like Hens teeth.      I do have a 20 cc extra & a 120  Pitts,  plus a trainer & a cougar .I want something to sit between.

So it seems that the only way is to find something like a nice pattern type ship or sports  plan for a OS 55 & build from scratch.

With winter approaching the weather will restrict flying & my current health is not too good. So a worktop model from scratch would be fun.

But I do NOT want to spend hours building a ringer.

So are there any ideas for a good (tail dragger for off grass) plane to fit the bill & where can I get a DECENT set of original plans of the model

Any comments

Apologies if on the wrong thread- New to posting here

Sam Longley

Essex

Edited by Sam Longley
add comment

Advert

Another possibility is the Chilli Wind. The plan is free to download from Outerzone.

Originally it had veneered foam wings, which can be supplied by Bill Kits.

There is another thread on this forum that includes a set of wing rib outlines should you prefer a built-up wing.

There is also a smaller version, the Chilli Breeze, an electric version of which will be a free plan in a forthcoming RCM&E.

Brian.

9 hours ago, Sam Longley said:

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Gangster seems to fit the bill. I will give Mick Reeves a call & check on availability

Gangster was my first thought, before even seeing the other replies. The 63 Lite is advertised on MR website, however if you look closely, the classic 63 foam wing version is still available on request, I'm not sure how freely, but one of my clubmates went that way recently.

On 21/09/2023 at 20:58, Sam Longley said:

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Gangster seems to fit the bill. I will give Mick Reeves a call & check on availability

I wouldn't do that if I were you... building Mick Reeves' Gangster Lite kit is like volunteering for a chronic series of acute migraine headaches!

But once built they are excellent classic aerobats.  I sold mine with an Irvine 53 (perfect, originally fitted an Irvine 46 which was fine but the 53 really hits the sweet-spot) to a club-mate last year.  He doesn't fly it much (he's mainly into electric 3D these days) so if you're after a ready-to-go then PM me and I'll ask him if he's happy to let it go (he's Reading-based).

My extensive build-log here, including modifications and trimming:  https://forums.modelflying.co.uk/index.php?/topic/38487-mick-reeves-gangster-63-lite/#comments

Edited by Jonathan M

11 hours ago, Jonathan M said:

I wouldn't do that if I were you... building Mick Reeves' Gangster Lite kit is like volunteering for a chronic series of acute migraine headaches!

But once built they are excellent classic aerobats.  I sold mine with an Irvine 53 (perfect, originally fitted an Irvine 46 which was fine but the 53 really hits the sweet-spot) to a club-mate last year.  He doesn't fly it much (he's mainly into electric 3D these days) so if you're after a ready-to-go then PM me and I'll ask him if he's happy to let it go (he's Reading-based).

My extensive build-log here, including modifications and trimming:  https://forums.modelflying.co.uk/index.php?/topic/38487-mick-reeves-gangster-63-lite/#comments

You have frightened me now. I am in a dilema .I would rather not buy second hand though. Thanks. I will spend some time reading that post you have linked that will take some time there is a lot of info to absorb me thinks.

23 minutes ago, Sam Longley said:

You have frightened me now. I am in a dilema .I would rather not buy second hand though. Thanks. I will spend some time reading that post you have linked that will take some time there is a lot of info to absorb me thinks.

Mick Reeves stuff, designed by a master, not much leading by the  nose to success. The stuff in the kit is fine, but he assumes you know where it all goes. Work out in head what the result looks like, and execute. 

Outerzone is full of plans to download free.   Maybe one of the Joe Bridi designs like Super Kaos would suit.  The Bridi plans published by RCM have very detailed plans and instructions.   Super Kaos etc have big thick wing sections which allow one to get away with piloting errors better than thin wing sections!   Most of the older designs still fly well as sports models and they have the advantage of simple square formers which are easy to make yourself.  

If you really want original plans then Sarik Hobbies sell all the RCME, RM and RCModelWorld plans.   Perhaps the Ballerina by Peter Miller would suit as a good sports model with cut parts available from Sarik.

A plan you might consider is the Ultrasport 60 which is held in high regard in USA - much better than the Ultrasport 40 kit they reckoned.    Designed as an improvement to the Kaos with more wing area and fuselage side area.   The Outerzone plan is exactly same as the original one I bought from RCModeler years ago - not built it yet but one day......

RCM plans were very detailed and accurate but of course they are no longer available, so it's good that Outerzone have many of the old RCM plans.

On 23/09/2023 at 20:20, Sam Longley said:

Apologies Sam, didn't mean to scare you.  The Gangster Lite is a great trad pattern aerobatic model (its precision was a revelation for me after the Wot4 and Acrowot) just that if you do get one from Mick Reeves then be prepared for the kit's shortcomings and to do what mods you feel are sensible - which I hope my lengthy build-thread covers.

PS - I'm even thinking of buying my own one back from my old club-mate! 😁

Edited by Jonathan M

17 hours ago, Sheepish said:

Another possibility for a kit if you haven’t seen these,

https://hangaronekits.com/collections/classic-pattern-kits

They also do kits for other nice looking sports and scale models.

That is a brilliant link. with the sort of planes I was looking for. Many have good pedigree. Any idea what the quality of the fit of components is like- have you actually built one?

But thanks anyway

Edited by Sam Longley

17 hours ago, Sheepish said:

Another possibility for a kit if you haven’t seen these,

https://hangaronekits.com/collections/classic-pattern-kits

They also do kits for other nice looking sports and scale models.

I had a look at Hanger One too, never heard of them before but looks like they have a great range of kits.

But, they are in New Zealand and by the time VAT, import duty and shipping is added they are going to be mighty expensive kits.