2024 Mass Build

18 minutes ago, Chris Walby said:

Hi all,

I have added "A pair of FW 190's" on the 2024 mass build thread have the first question that has probably already been asked?

What servos have been suggested as I have no preference to make or model, just what fits best the Fw190? 

Pretty much anything you have will do as there is no real issue with weight . I used 9g metal geared throughout , just cheap emax jobs about £6 each . 

• Like 1

I’ve been watching with interest and am keen on the idea of ordering a Tempest. It would my first warbird and I’m keen to try out some of these build & finishing ideas, but I have a couple of questions . 

If the plane is built as intended, ie for hand launch& without any undercarriage, is the protruding cowl susceptible to damage on landing ? Also, is there a knack to landing in a way that avoids regularly breaking the prop ? 

Sorry for possibly asking daft questions but I’ve no experience at belly landing !

Not a daft question at al Andy . Many of us "old timers " flew funfighters  when we first got into scale modelling . Being smaller and having thinner wings, they came in pretty fast . However , they are pretty smooth so you can flair out the model as it gets close to the ground and hold the nose up till it loses all of its energy . Rarely dod we brake props as they generally moved out of the way , being two blade . 

The Tempest is quite a bit bigger and so has much lighter wing loading . The wing section is also designed to work well at low speed which means that hand launch and landings will be very easy . 

The other advantage with electric motors is that you can use the "brake " feature on the speed controller so that you stop the prop in a horizontal position. 

Personally Ive never bothered and rarely break a prop . 

Both the Tempest and Fw190 have a solid wooden block inside the lowest point of the cowl . The block is secured to two main formers and reaches right forward to the front of the cowl lip . That block will support the cowl from any bumps . 

The Tempest chin does look vulnerable but when you consider that every radial engine fighter would have a similarly exposed cowl chin and the fact that the models land very nose up , this isnt a problem . 

• Like 3

Thanks Richard, that’s all very encouraging. Go on, it’s Christmas so I’ll have one. The FW190 looked good but I just think the Tempest is a striking looking plane and it will be fun to have something a bit different.

I’ll drop you a PM with my details.

Thanks again for your help.

Andy

• Like 1

The low wing load IMO is the key as I suspect it has a number of effects, firstly lower stall speed and secondly a more progressive stall (plenty of elevator authority) so you can put it down just when you want.

Worth holding it off, but better to settle it rather than stall and dump it.

Digressing a bit as I have a Acrowot with Laser 70 (spot on target weight and never damaged the UC), but have noticed a few with larger/much larger than recommended engines and they come in like runaway steam trains, usually breaking the UC. Back to me whinging on about not adding unnecessary weight!

• Like 1

TBH folks who don't usually belly land their models do often get unnecessarily worried about breaking a prop every flight. We've seen it repeatedly on this forum, but honestly it's nothing to get concerned about. In reality you can have hundreds of belly landing and not break a prop, but then you might find that you break two in a day. It's not a big issue.

A low stall speed is key. My Cambrian spitfire ate props for breakfast. I'm sure it could get through two per flight. One reason was the speed it came in at. You couldn't dot it down at the point of stall, as it's flight speed range was quite narrow. It also had very little 'lower fuselage' below the thrustline, so nothing to absorb a bit of energy before the prop touched. It's the only 'fling and flop' model I've had that broke props. Generally, it's not something I ever worry about.