Smart phones; a discussion

Cuban8

5 hours ago, MattyB said:

You can tell a lot about the demographics of this forum (and the hobby in general) from this thread. Those asking why a smartphone and social media are a necessary part of everyday life cannot have attempted to get a well paid job in the last 10 years or so. I can assure you an actively maintained LinkedIn profile and the ability to respond very quickly to hirers and recruiters is absolutely key (some companies will actively screen out applicants who do not have a social media footprint they can use to review and research them). 

What a load of Tosh, maybe in your line of work but certainly not mine!

19 minutes ago, Learner said:

What a load of Tosh, maybe in your line of work but certainly not mine!

With almost a billion members worldwide Linkedin is a huge resource for professional people looking for jobs on a worldwide basis, not really your typical 9-5 wage slave or a small business looking to take on a few local bodies now and again. Two very different worlds.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Nigel R said:

Yes, no, maybe. Depends on the particular nature of the job. Some actively prefer a somewhat lower social media profile.

When I was made redundant a few years ago I was given coaching by and exec placement consultancy. As an InfoSec professional I hated most of the advice I was being given to improve my social media profile on platforms such as LinkedIn, but I have to grudgingly admit it was highly effective. I now regularly post to keep myself in the habit so the next time I want (or am forced) to move, it will be second nature.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

Agree with the bit about the benefits of the smartphone in terms of the access that it gives and the accessories that it brings, but the comment about well paid job recruitment having Linkedin as a prerequisite to having a well paid job is really only if you are looking at an office job. Though all of the very well paid tradesmen that I know most definitely have smartphones, not too many of them are on Linkedin and their companies certainly didn't require a social media presence to assist in their recruitment. 😉

They may not hire their people that way, but every tradesman I have dealt with for the last couple of years has taken card payments using phone based apps, and actively manages their profile to buyers on platforms like Trust-a-trader and Rated people on the move using their smartphone. Many also have Youtube channels and Instagram feeds to prove their credentials as SMEs, and improve engagement and "stiction" with their customers directly. They could definitely not do that without a smart device.

PS - Smartphones and subscriptions are also in the inflationary basket of goods, and have been for many years, so are seen as necessities by UK Gov and the ONS. Amazingly landlines are as well - that will probably change in the near future, as the infrastructure is phased out in the coming years (though landline equivalents that behave the same using different technical solutions will undoubtedly remain available for those who want them).

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

Just now, MattyB said:

They may not hire their people that way, but every tradesman I have dealt with for the last couple of years has taken card payments using phone based apps, and actively manages their profile to buyers on platforms like Trust-a-trader and Rated people on the move using their smartphone. Many also have Youtube channels and Instagram feeds to prove their credentials as SMEs, and improve engagement and "stiction" with their customers directly. They could definitely not do that without a smart device.

Those are all communications uses though, not due to maintaining a social media profile and they are dealing with their customers through those communications channels and apps, not being recruited as a result of their Linkedin profiles, which is the difference that I was pointing out. Linkedin addresses a very specific demographic.

Matty B ,being in social media is not pre requisite for using a Smartphone.

I am no fan of socialmedia platforms. 

A mobile is one method of communication.

Smartphones like all gadgets have their uses.

Sometimes to the detriment of our own brain, its amazing how once upon a time we could remember telephone numbers, addresses and even do arithmetic without them. Ask some of your friends and family to give a number if someone they know without using the mobile.

Some cannot even remember their own mobile number.

All things have a place, all people have a choice.

Yes i have a smartphone but i can function quite well without it.

• Like 1

As I have just mentioned in another thread - it seems you now need a mobile phone to build from an RCME plan.   The Chilli Breeze EP article has some of the building instructions only available by using a QR code!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cuban8 said:

With almost a billion members worldwide Linkedin is a huge resource for professional people looking for jobs on a worldwide basis, not really your typical 9-5 wage slave or a small business looking to take on a few local bodies now and again. Two very different worlds.

Thanks, if I ever need to work worldwide I'll look into it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MattyB said:

Maybe the younger ones but not most of my generation.

I dont take card payments, have never needed trust a trader, instagram etc and my only point of contact is by phone call.

I also dont work in any emission zones as my work vehicle is not compliant and I will not be forced into buying one!

2 hours ago, MattyB said:

PS - Smartphones and subscriptions are also in the inflationary basket of goods, and have been for many years, so are seen as necessities by UK Gov and the ONS. Amazingly landlines are as well - that will probably change in the near future, as the infrastructure is phased out in the coming years (though landline equivalents that behave the same using different technical solutions will undoubtedly remain available for those who want them).

What is a inflationary basket of goods?

Edited by Learner
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, kc said:

As I have just mentioned in another thread - it seems you now need a mobile phone to build from an RCME plan.   The Chilli Breeze EP article has some of the building instructions only available by using a QR code!  

If that is so rcme would no longer get my business

Edited by Learner

1 hour ago, kc said:

The information you accessed was published in Part 2 of the building and flying instructions in the next issue of RCM&E.  If you wanted to access them earlier then the option was there to gain access earlier.  So, your comment isn't true but you did need to buy the next issue.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Learner said:

Maybe the younger ones but not most of my generation.

I dont take card payments, have never needed trust a trader, instagram etc and my only point of contact is by phone call.

I also dont work in any emission zones as my work vehicle is not compliant and I will not be forced into buying one!

What is a inflationary basket of goods?

Is it for safely carrying eggs back from the market?

1 hour ago, Peter Jenkins said:

The information you accessed was published in Part 2 of the building and flying instructions in the next issue of RCM&E

Peter, you might be right but then again in February issue (concluding article )  it twice states "refer to the QR instructions for the next build sequence "   so there is still missing info.

Most of us who are experienced builders won't need all the instructions but there might just be something important we need to know.  It's also a fact that the paper copies last for decades yet websites disappear suddenly.   Quite often people require the article for  designs from the 1970's, 80's, 90. etc and I have been able to find my copy of RCME, RC SQ, RCModeler, etc  to provide the article.   Will the QR info be there in 10 or 20 years?  Probably not!   

Paper copies will last longer especially as the magazine and it's info is dispersed worldwide.   A good example is the old USA RCModeler magazine- nobody seems to have acquired the magazine and if it had issued any data online it would also be lost.    Fortunately lots of people have provided all the old RCModeler plans and build articles to online sites.   All those great designs are still available and most are probably also saved on home computers but if not the paper copies are still around.  

My point is there is too much reliance on mobile phones and computers - one day terrorists will realise that a country is very vulnerable to loss of mobile signals and might strike at that ( hopefully not! ).    Individuals seem to have been  totally lost just because their mobile phone has been stolen meaning a loss of all their contacts!   Imagine if nobody can contact anybody by phone!   ( actually those of us who are old enough know something of what that means - back in the 1960's and 70's BT often took a year to provide a new  house with a phone line! )

Edited by kc

Some years ago now ( new scientist in the 90's from memory ) there was a scare about mobile phone signals possibly causing "heating issues" of  our mark 1 eye balls, being normally used close to our eyes.

Our lecturer set up and experiment using a mobile and scope. The results were quite shocking at the time...

A mobile sitting next to the TV used to make the TV go a bit berserck when the network "phoned in" to locate the phone. This does not seem to happen as much these days, but it still happens.

Basic Comms for me, crap internet signal here....camera is usefull, need to investigate an audio "decibel meter"....

Cheapo Tesco £10 a month jobby.

Any more cost and the thing would have to be able to make the toast 😸

For anyone who just wants a phone to make phone calls and has an unlocked (4G or 5G  )phone then the ' 1p Mobile ' annual tarrif of £ 36 seems a bargain = equals £3 month for unlimited phone calls including roaming plus some data.

Edited by kc

3 hours ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

If I need a spirit level, I've numerous sizes fit for purpose, same with knocking nails in, smart phone or hammer ?

I have a knife with a hoof obstruction removing tool, still saving for the Horse. "Be prepared". 😉

Do any of your numerous sizes of spirit level tell you how many degrees off level you are?

And do you keep them in your pocket at all times - after all, you never know when you might need to check something 🤪!

IMG_6771.thumb.png.bbeced22aa3bda1bd42fe0dd902bfeb1.png

Edited by EvilC57

The emergency services in the UK are all familiar with what3words. If you have an emergency somewhere where you don't know the address (say you're in an unfamiliar town or in a park and someone is injured) you can open the app, give the operator the three words, and they will know where you are within a few metres.

Every three-metre square of the world has been given a unique three-word identifier, so once you have given the words, the emergency services will know where you are, even if you don't know yourself. It also saves time, as you don't have to struggle with giving directions.

Edited by Arthur Harris