Best lipo charger ?

With ref my last thread about my lipo not charging right .My charger is a bit old and I think that is where my problem is .So going in to treat myself to a decent charger .I do not mind splashing out if the charger is  a decent one 

So what do people out there recomend is the best lipo charger out there ?

• Like 1

I have an iCharger 308 duo which I bought at a show from Nexus a few years back (IIRC Tim Hooper egged me on to buy it! - He'll probably deny it!).  It was just short of £200 but seems to be discontinued now.  It's a bit fiddly to set up with lots of options but shows the voltage and IR of each cell; I would want those features on any new charger I bought.  It is DC only but I use an inexpensive modified server power supply which copes easily with this and my older Graupner Ultramat 16 which has a mains option but is probably also no longer available.

I would also look for maximum cell number to suit your possible future needs and the number of cell type options.  I use the Li-Ion option to charge the yet untested Li-Ion field charge battery I made a couple of weeks ago.  I'm sure all the suggestions made my Ron and PDB will be fine.

@Rocker

I doubt you'll get a concensus unless you can provide more info, like....

Where will you use it ? At home, field, or both

What kind of battery chemistry do you need it to charge? LiPo, LiFe, Pb, Nimh, etc. etc.

Maximum output (how many cells) ?

How many packs do you need it to charge at once?

(I think all modern chargers will balance charge, discharge, and charge to storage capacity)

Anything else you need or want (alarms, temp cutoff, IR, touch screen etc.)?

Another vote for the ISTD chargers from me - I replaced my errant Turnigy Reaktor with one last year and it has been superb. So simple to use, compact and with a lovely clear colour LCD display. I only charger one pack at a time per charger, so don't need multiple ports, but that, together with my old Graupner Ultramat 14 working off two power supplies handles all of my charging needs admirably.

This is a reply to a previoious post asking what chargers people use - see quote below.  The ISDT links are broken although most of the ISDT chargers and Hota chargers can be seen here 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/all-products.html#q=&idx=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products&dFR[warehouses][0]=UK&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][0]=UK|1&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][1]=UK|2&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][2]=UK|3&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][3]=Global|1&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][4]=Global|2&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][5]=Global|3&hFR[categories.level0][0]=Batteries %2F Chargers %2F%2F%2F Chargers&is_v=1

"I use a  ISDT 8 https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/isdt-t8-1000w-dc-charger ; am ISDT q8 https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/isdt-q8-500w-dc-charger ; two ISDT nano 6's https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/isdt-q6-nano-200w-dc-charger.  I also have  Hota D 6 Pro which is identical to this https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-reaktor-d6-pro-duo-ac-dc-6s-balance-charger-discharger-w-smartphone-wireless-charging-dc325w-x-2-uk-plug.html?queryID=ce1057f7f23127e042f840cd23b37406&objectID=80914&indexName=hbk_live_products_analytics"

If i had to pick only one it would be the Hota 6 pro which has its own power supply, two channels so you can charge separately, a USB port which enables me to charge my radio at the same time, a wireless charger for the phone plus it can be used as a field charger.  The navigation/ screen  is very good (better than the  ISDTs) and it has a fairly high capacity / performance fig.  Indeed I have found it to be more reliable than the ISDT's."

I have since moved from the ISDT's to this set-up (see link below) in conjunction with the Hota listed above and found it absolutely brilliant 

Edited by conrad taggart

6 hours ago, PDB said:

Had one of these for a year and it's been faultless and comes with all power leads and 4xbalance leads.

https://www.applianceelectronics.co.uk/viewproduct/17956/gt-power-x4-charger-4-x-100w-quad-charger-gtp0149

I have one of these.  It is a great charger if you want to charge four Lipos at home in one go before a session, then bring them all back to storage charge afterwards, etc

I still use my old Fusion charger for individual Lipos (although it doesn't have a storage function), but really for NiMH flight batteries (has discharge and cycling function) and for my flight-box 12v 7Ah Pb.

When flying thermal, I also have a small ISDT field charger powered off a large capacity spare Lipo, which means any given set of four electric-launch Lipos (550mAh to 1300mAh)  can be recharged at least once thus doubling their day-session use.

So it really depends on what your charging needs are, but if it is for typical home-charging for conventional power model Lipos, then you can't go wrong with a quad-charger like the GT one above.

• Like 1

I’ve been using ISDT chargers for several years. I’m now using an ISDT K2 (Air) charger as my main one which can charge 2 packs at a time at up to 200W on AC power and 500W on DC per channel. The outputs can be combined to 800W for a single pack (not sure why it’s a little limited). If you have an accurate voltmeter and want to get the absolute best, it has an inbuilt calibration facility. 

It also links to a mobile app via Bluetooth for remote (in safe circumstances) monitoring of the charge. 

This one seemed to be the best compromise for price, capability and facilities from the ISDT range for my requirements (up to 6S) at around £120.