DX8 v NX8 ?

Rocker

I have trusted DX8 Gen 2 transmitter

Everyone in our club has upgraded their DX8 for the new NX8 transmitter .Everyone in our club keeps telling me to upgrade my DX8 for a NX8 and not to be so tight .My answer is there is nothing wrong with my DX8 so why should I fork out £350 for a NX8 .I am told the NX8 is far better and I would find it a lot better then the DX8.I can not find anything on the NX8 that my DX8 will not do .So am I missing something here.I find a lot of people upgrade to the NX8 because it was new and people must have the "newest  transmitter or am I wrong and it is worth upgrading my DX8 to a new NX8. Be interesting to see what people think on this.Is it worth upgrading to a NX8 just to have the newest transmitter ?

If your DX8 is working for you then there's no compelling reason to switch to the NX8 if it is, as you have said, just to have the newest transmitter - especially when you consider that there will be an even newer one on the block soon enough.

Just picked up an NX8 from a club member giving up. Almost new. Own a DX9 and DX6. Cannot in all honesty see  any real difference worth shouting about. I pinch the sticks and my fingers catch on the switches. Don’t on other two sets. Can’t see why tho ???? The 9 is an early Mk1 and the NX is just insurance really. Colin

29 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

The old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" seems to apply........................ people are like magpies - they like shiny new things 

I suppose we are. In an ideal world, we'd all have just one model and fly that until it crashed or wore out ... or would we?  🤣

No, but you probably wouldn't replace a perfectly serviceable model that did everything you want, with one that does exactly the same thing but is a different colour.........   Would you?  I know some would.  But not me. And the OP seems to be in the position of being pressurised to 'go with the herd'.

Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks.

• Haha 1

My DX9 (last one with DSM2) faultless. New shinny TX's are not always and improvement as some of my trainees with NX's I struggle to read their screens on bright days. Smaller font and red compared to my larger font LCD. If it isn't broken or more capable then sometimes it is just nice to have a new toy if you want one. 😉

I upgraded from a DX6e to an NX8. Not a bad upgrade path.

But the DX8 is perfectly serviceable.

The NX does have more convenient USB charging and wifi connectivity for updates etc but those are no great shakes.

The only real other advantage is the colour screen (take it or leave it IMHO) and the forward programming menus are better on the NX.

Unless you have just won £350 on the horses it's not necessary.

KB

Had DX6 which the screen develiped a darkish patch. Sent for repair but told some board or other was failing and replacements ni longer available. I hadDX8 which i use, though that seems to be do8ng something similar. I use that for i.c. and purchased a Radiomaster TX16s. Very pleased with it. Just wondering whether or not to send DX8 in for repair.

This is very topical for me at the moment. I have a 10 year old DX8 Gen 1, which although still working perfectly, is full (i.e. 29 of the 30 model memories are in use). So two weeks ago I gave in to temptation and bought an NX10. So far I can opine as follows, in no particular order:

• The colour LCD is nice, although not particularly high definition, nor any bigger than the old one in the DX8. I don’t think the display is as fast to react to the scroll wheel as the old DX8 with conventional LCD, which has caused me to overshoot and choose the wrong menu item several times. In fact overall I’d say the old DX8 scroll wheel & menu are a bit nicer to use.
  • The programmable audio events (voice messages) seem a useful addition, particularly the spoken count down times.
  • I particularly like the configurable switches, which allow you to assign functions to any switch of your choosing - which as far as I know I couldn’t do with the DX8.
  • The ability to bind to a receiver from within the menu without having to cycle the power while holding down the Bind button is useful.
  • The pre flight setup checklist seems a bit limited, and as far as I can tell can’t be sorted alphabetically, which makes it hard to find things. Several things I’ve wanted are not there, and I’m not aware that there’s any way of adding your own items (I stand to be corrected on this).
  • The Bind/Engine Kill button although larger, seems more of a reach for my little hands than the old one.
  • I like the addition of the centre tone facility, which I’ve enabled for the throttle control. A useful indication of when you’re at half throttle, without having to look down at the box while you’re flying.
  • The manual is rubbish.

I guess with 10 years of development you get more bells & whistles. Could I have just carried on with the old Tx? Yes. Am I glad I bought the new one? At the moment, also yes.

• Like 4