Sign of the times - funnies * Remember this is a family friendly forum and inappropriate postings will be removed without warning.

ken anderson.

This is a sign of the times but it's not funny.

I can't remember precisely when I bought my Seagull Decathlon, the model's long gone anyway but I've kept the box in order to store balsa sheet in it. There's a label on the box telling me that I paid £99.95 for it.

Steve Webb is quoting £232.99 for the same model today. My income has not risen by the same proportion.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, David Davis said:

This is a sign of the times but it's not funny.

I can't remember precisely when I bought my Seagull Decathlon, the model's long gone anyway but I've kept the box in order to store balsa sheet in it. There's a label on the box telling me that I paid £99.95 for it.

Steve Webb is quoting £232.99 for the same model today. My income has not risen by the same proportion.

A pint of mild in the Coventry Antelope Motorcycle Club clubroom in 1964 was lower than 2/- (10p).  Times change and things get dearer.  I bet the club no longer has a regularly open clubroom but I used it a lot as 24 year old.  The 1965 Mini my wife owned when we got married in 1967 cost about £500 brand new.

2 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

A pint of mild in the Coventry Antelope Motorcycle Club clubroom in 1964 was lower than 2/- (10p).  Times change and things get dearer.  I bet the club no longer has a regularly open clubroom but I used it a lot as 24 year old.  The 1965 Mini my wife owned when we got married in 1967 cost about £500 brand new.

I remember a mate on the squadron bought a new mini in 1963 for about the same price.

Maybe this thread should be renamed "Sign of the TImes Tragedy!!!

• Like 1

Yet in the mid seventies I paid out the best part of a month’s wages for a 6 channel radio with 4 basic servos, no mixing, reversing or ATV etc.  and had to swap servos, batteries and receiver between models due to their cost. 

I recall balsa being a major expense in pocket money days - I suspect we’ve all been lulled into a false impression of the halcyon days of yore by 20 years of artificially low costs caused by far east “dumping” and circumvention of various tax rules. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Geoff S said:

£500 for a new mini in 1967 is equivalent to £11,200 today. It was a cheap, basic car with sliding windows, and initially no heater, radio, and a funny plastic cord you pulled to open the door from the inside! They were great, I had three old ones back in the 1970s.

Today a new VW Up starts at £14,000 I believe, yes more expensive but just look at the spec. safety and comfort of modern cars.

Sorry, a bit off topic.

Edited by Piers Bowlan
  • Like 1