Sign of the times - funnies * Remember this is a family friendly forum and inappropriate postings will be removed without warning.

ken anderson.

10 hours ago, Geoff S said:

You really think there aren't men that are just as clueless?  I once had a trainee on a yacht when I was 1st mate who didn't understand that pulling on one end of a rope had an effect at the other end - and he had a very good 1st class degree in maths - I was told.  OTOH one of the best engineers working for me was a woman.

I worked as a technician in a Craft, design and technology department.  Some of the girls did brilliant work while some were dim BUT the same could be said for the boys.

1 hour ago, Futura57 said:

There are three types of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't 😵

Actually there are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

• Haha 2

Those who can do £/s/d, hundred weights/stones, yards/chains and nautical miles can count in many ways mostly without the help of Phobile Mone.

Some of us still have slide rules and log-tables in the hangar for when the power goes down (and maps in the car)

I just wish that the folks in the post office could count still, they often get it wrong even with a calculator.

Happy and prosperous NY to one and all 🙂

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RedBaron said:

Those who can do £/s/d, hundred weights/stones, yards/chains and nautical miles can count in many ways mostly without the help of Phobile Mone.

Some of us still have slide rules and log-tables in the hangar for when the power goes down (and maps in the car)

I just wish that the folks in the post office could count still, they often get it wrong even with a calculator.

Happy and prosperous NY to one and all 🙂

Especially if they use the Horizon calculator.....

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, EvilC57 said:

Actually there are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I think there are 16 types of people in the world, those who use hexadecimal and those who don't 🙂  The first computers I worked on in the early 60s had data stored as binary coded decimal and had hardware sterling (LSD) multiply and divide by 10 instructions.  They were huge and used germanium transistors throughout (GET103s mostly)

I still use paper maps, especially the beautiful OS 1:25,000 and 1:50,000 which reveal far more than Google maps which, whilst having their uses, seem like travel with blinkers.  I also still use the 4 figure tables (trig and log) I've had for 60 years as well as the slide rules I've had for the same period.

Happy New Year - let's hope for better flying weather in 2024 than its predecessor 👍