Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

6bbbbad3-7fe7-45c1-88ca-d99f3dd4d625.jpegLast year was the 70th anniversary of the ED Bee Mk 1 when there was to be a celebtratory event at the Modelair weekend at Old Warden in September but the weather was awful and I didn’t go. I had built a Vic Smeed Tomboy powered by an ED Bee Mk1 for rudder and elevator for the event which had its maiden flight yesterday. It is covered in mylar and Esaki tissue with a suitable yellow and black scheme. The engine hadn’t run for many years but started easily and held a bumbling setting for gentle climbing to join the 2 local Bizzards.

536f68a3-68b5-4aad-9c78-d0fe474b8618.jpegea020388-a39f-4c82-b0bf-b839f435e2d7.jpeg

Hangar 9 CAP 232, around 80" wingspan, running on electric, 8S 5000mAh, 2.5kW at WOT with freshly charged batteries, hauls the 16½ lb weight around with authority. Whilst the plane can be set up for 3D, the power is not enough for that so I have the throws set up for smooth aerobatic flying. This is not a new plane but it is new to me, this is the first time I have bought something second hand because I was not sure I would like this sort of plane. Gave it a good overhaul and checked everything out thoroughly before flying. I had been looking for a larger aerobat and this was set up to match batteries already in my possession. Maiden flight yesterday and it flies really well, rolling and looping on the first flight, I felt really comfortable with it straight away. Needless to say that it is a keeper.

cap 232.jpg

Thank you JD8 for your compliments on my ED Bee Tomboy. Esaki tissues is a very nice Jap tissue available from Mike Woodhouse at **LINK**. The mylar is 10 micron and then the tissue is laid over the airframe dry, sprayed with water and whilst wet doped with non shrinking dope and at least 50% thinners then several more coats when dry to build up the finish. The test on the wings is hand cut black Esaki tissue.

I’m sure your Veron Cardinal will fly great. Bit of right thrust, CG under the spar and nice flat flying surfaces. We have several Tomboys in our club. Some are heavy and some are a bit wonky and some are heavy and wonky but they all fly.

Posted by Jon Laughton on 26/02/2019 18:08:19:

Maidened today - only some down elevator and left aileron trim and she then flew beautifully on an OS 75AX.

Very nice model & definitely 'a keeper'!angel

img_6868.jpg

I had one of those a few years ago.... A really nice model!

I passed it on when I moved house a couple of years ago, but wish I hadn't. And, no, I can't get it back, the guy who took it off me wrote it off after just a couple of flights!

crying

Yes John I too had the 50 size with an OS55AX up front and found it ‘hotter’ and the landing speed very high. No amount of changing the C of G resolved that. I retired it last year....but the urge to try it’s big brother remained. Now that I have I prefer it as the flight envelope seems greater and I can tune it to my preference for pattern aerobatics. Thankfully the landing speed on the larger version is more docile.

Jon

Jon I like both versions equally and fly them in the US where my club has a vast concrete runway, so the hot landing speed of the 50 size is no problem at all. (In the UK I think one might tear the U/C on grass strips.) The 50 is absolutely one of my favorite models particularly since it is not much affected by wind.

It's interesting how modest difference size of the two planes has such an effect on their flying characteristics - I suppose it's a good example of a Reynolds number effect.

Yes John you’re spot on: the u/c on my old 50 suffered. In fact I still have a spare set of the supplied glass fibre ones but fitted a carbon copy u/c that had more strength instead.

Fast landings took their toll and on this basis I strengthened/modified the u/c to fuselage structure on ‘big brother’...

Jon.

Terry's Rocket (Mine, really, but Terry Anderson's 1986 design) has now flown!

Excellent flying characteristics, should be ok for classic aerobatic comps.
The original Webra 61/tuned pipe has been replaced by an OSfs95V, pulls it vertically till I get worried!surprise

There are several others in the pipeline from clubmates...smiley

steve rocket-1.jpg

steve rocket-1-4.jpg

steve rocket-1-6.jpg

steve rocket-1-9.jpg

steve rocket-1-10.jpg

Steve.

I wish that they would kick those ugly new fangled things into touch and get back to basic aeros. I have no idea what a fellow club member is trying to perform with one of these. There is far more interest in the retro models and style of flying. No wonder that there are often only one or two entries per class.

Nice looking model Steve.

88f18b56-2d06-4d84-9953-d6bd4a971cc2.jpegI successfully flew this for the first time yesterday. It’s a Warbird Replica La7, the smaller 57” version. It’s electric using their motor and FMS spinner and 3 bladed prop. It’s not finished yet and I’ll get on and finish the detailing, the Solartrim stickers have lost their grip so I’ll paint the stars on. I’ll draw a few panel lines and weather it up a bit too. It’s painted with Matchpots over brown paper covering.

It went together really easily, it’s very simple. The beauty of it is that you can add, alter or glue extra bits on to cover mistakes, it’s a model plane after all.

I’ve made a start on it’s bigger brother but that one will have a Laser 80 up front, luckily I already have one.

33df6f4f-20a8-4a5a-a10b-6a9beb8a2be3.jpeg

My word, Mr Miller, that looks really lovely. Much better looking than any "proper" Cub.

Posted by Peter Miller on 24/02/2019 18:43:05:

dsc01127.jpgToday was perfect.

I was able to test fly my Li'l Cub Stol aircraft. It flew perfectly, completely viceless. Never tried to bite once while I was throwing it round at low level to get the flying shots.

dsc01115.jpg

dsc_5659.jpg

dsc_5676.jpg

No problem Martin! I have been very surprised by the number of entries this year, much higher than last which must be good for our sport. I know that in my area (East) Peter Jenkins has been helping raise its awareness and making sure that people know that it can be fun as well as a means to improve all round flying ability.

Posted by Bucksboy on 02/03/2019 08:58:49:

I successfully flew this for the first time yesterday. It’s a Warbird Replica La7, the smaller 57” version. It’s electric using their motor and FMS spinner and 3 bladed prop. It’s not finished yet and I’ll get on and finish the detailing, the Solartrim stickers have lost their grip so I’ll paint the stars on. I’ll draw a few panel lines and weather it up a bit too. It’s painted with Matchpots over brown paper covering.

It went together really easily, it’s very simple. The beauty of it is that you can add, alter or glue extra bits on to cover mistakes, it’s a model plane after all.

I’ve made a start on it’s bigger brother but that one will have a Laser 80 up front, luckily I already have one.

33df6f4f-20a8-4a5a-a10b-6a9beb8a2be3.jpeg

Very nice and well done Bucksboy. I have the kit for its bigger brother as well and also have a Laser 80 for it. Fitting the Laser 80 would involve moving the engine bulkhead aft 20mm, not a big deal perhaps but I am wondering if fitting my ASP 90 instead might be an easier option, as no modification would be required? When you get around to it, some build pictures of your bigger LA7 would be great too. yes

Nice astroturf runway, by the way!

I saw the writing on the wall and bought kits whilst I had the chance. There was a big discussion on here about the demise of building kits as opposed to buying ready made foamies. I’ve got foamies, they’re great but I really enjoy building too.

Ill take some snaps of the bigger one and post them, it’s virtually the same kit just a big bigger.