Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

19 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

Tjis a  very popualr model, What size is yours?   Mick's is 60" and there is a 72" span model being built that I know of

Mine is the 36" model off the FlyRC magazine plan. Wanted something small to put in the back of the car for a quick flight.

Sounds like a Peter Miller take on design this could be good😄

Funny you say about the flat sides, I notice that there is an alternative built up construction too from 1/8 strip which I quite like building and would save material costs. It got me thinking how many designs with solid balsa sides and tops could be of built up construction especially with electric power, maybe with a sheet front end where the lipos and drive train are?

Edited by Mark Turner 12

19 hours ago, Mark Turner 12 said:

Is this the plan you used?  Is there a larger plan available anywhere or would I just have to enlarge this one?

Daddy-O_Plan.pdf 323.36 kB · 19 downloads

Yes, that's the plan I used. Following a write-up on another forum it was suggested to increase the wingspan to 36" which I did, keeping the rest the same.

Edited by franci

7 hours ago, Mark Turner 12 said:

Sounds like a Peter Miller take on design this could be good😄

Funny you say about the flat sides, I notice that there is an alternative built up construction too from 1/8 strip which I quite like building and would save material costs. It got me thinking how many designs with solid balsa sides and tops could be of built up construction especially with electric power, maybe with a sheet front end where the lipos and drive train are?

I did the built-up sides as that is what I prefer. Not sure of the weight saving but I also strip my own strips; does save a bit of cost. As you'll see from my pics I added minimal sheet to the front end, mainly to assist in keeping the sides shaped near the front while building. I have had no negative issues with this as due to the amount of stringers the front is very rigid. 

Yes it’s an Acrowot,

I didn’t particularly want an Acrowot. I’ve had them before and they are a decent medium level aerobat, but wouldn’t necessarily feature on my letter to Santa these days. However, being a member of the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Preservation of Classic Aircraft… I think a few of us must be in this club for addicts), this 20yr old part built kit was offered to me by a mate who is sadly giving up the hobby due to failing eyesight, for what was basically beer money.

I had all the gear and a modicum of an idea!, and preferring a lightly wing loaded model I aimed to keep it on a slight diet, but wished for a bit of performance via an OS 70 surpass. Not being the biggest fan of snakes and wishing to tail mount the tail group servos I lightened the rear end, by throwing the fus in a cupboard full of mice in a Swiss cheese factory, and what a neat job they did too.

I unashamedly stole the scheme off tinterweb, ( I’m not imaginative, but am not a bad plagiarist) and made templates before hand cutting the film adornments, Looks alright.

Balanced bob on where I wanted it, (slightly aft of Mr Foss’ recommended) AUW 5lb 7oz, which should be enjoyable.

Not a skilful build, more an assembly, but more of a tale of how I couldn’t see it go to waste and has given me something to fertle with whilst saving a classic from the bin.

Quite a nice winter hack.

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

• Like 7

Cheers Mr Mod, its mostly HK film I think (white and blue) which I bought about 7yrs ago off a fella on an auction site for £1 per metre, so filled my boots, and am like Henry ford, I can have any colour as long as it is white!!. Bit of patience with paper and pencil making templates, followed by using a long steel rule as like a french curve and then a boat load of razor blades giving a decent edge..  quite therapeutic. 

IMG_0171.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The newest model to join my fleet, 3DLAB Print J3 piper CUB in SUNLU LW-PLA. My challenge for this year was to get to grips with CAD & 3D printing, still on the steep part of the learning curve, but I’m happy with the results so far. 

For a first attempt at a 3D printed model and it’s all gone very well, with no real issues. Flew it for the first time last week, very impressive! Power 2830-950 motor, 3S 1000mAh battery and 9x5 GWS prop. Haven’t weighed it yet but it flys like a very light weight model, so don’t know if I’ll bother. 

There’s a set of floats ready for it, so if the weather gets really bad this winter ⛈️ I’ve got all bases covered.

447424BB-2E44-4190-83EB-F923CE3565C9.jpeg

A5753C64-3CB5-4DB0-A7B7-F8213242513B.jpeg

Edited by Roy Thompson
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know how he got it down the chimney. We have an electric fire.

FMS Mustang P-51D in Flat Pak form.

My first "foamy" and feels like cheating as not built by me. Assembly probably less than an hour.

Also treated to a FRSKY SR8 stabilising receiver. Full house set up including flaps and retracts.

I have the Tx set up that requires the 4 main functions A,E,T,R + all 8 switches + a trim knob.

Now need some suitable flying weather and the runway grass cutting.

1249995997_Mustangflatpak.thumb.jpg.27e2c2ff996933e2e55518c5f344404c.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

You use all four main controls, plus 8 switches plus a knob? How do you remember what all the switches do?  I struggle with 3 - flight modes + retracts + flaps.....

With difficulty.🤔

Switches = Retracts, Flaps, Aileron rates, Elevator rates, Arming/Timer, Timer reset, Stabiliser on/off, Auto calibration.

Knob = Auto stabiliser sensitivity.

Once the plane is trimmed, and I get used to it, probably 1/2 the stuff won't be needed. Hopefully.