Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

My first post since the Forum improvement because my old iPad would only let me view the posts but not add any of my own. A visit to Curry’s and £319 later, everything’s been sorted with a new iPad.

During last year’s building session I found an old veneered foam wing that I’d salvaged from a scrap bin at the end of a club meeting. It was a Clark Y style section and roughly 2 meters length   
with a straight taper and had a central servo driving outboard ailerons via internal Bowden cables. A fuselage was needed, and as an experiment I decided to make something a little less conventional. After a month or so of modelling, the photos show the outcome.

The maiden flight was intended to be a test glide to check CG, so I stood a good 120 ft back from the slope edge whilst a helper gave it a level push from shoulder height. The anticipated pitching  problems didn’t materialise, and the model just flew straight and level at a slow walking pace. Approaching the slope edge I decided to let it continue, and the next 5minutes were some of the most relaxed sloping I’ve ever experienced with a new model. 

3AA1AB94-DF82-45EB-9F88-C242692CE04D.jpeg

19F09AE5-0355-4B28-B52F-C74F3C64F6F8.jpeg

• Like 12

Latest addition to my slope fleet is a well flown Dave's Aircraft Works Messerschmitt Bf109 which my pal Bob donated to a new home yesterday. These are great fun and bounce nicely - which is a good thing, given my slope landing skills, currently showing something close to a 50% rate of models which are flyable after one of my "landings". Had a bit of a go with the model yesterday and the light weight and big wing make for a nice flying model - I think there's a look of a control line aerobatic model in the general proportions. Thanks Bob 😄

• Like 2

Although not actually new, it is new to me😀

A ValentaModel 'Chilli' acquired second hand and fitted out for GPS triangle racing. It's my first glider of this size and weight, and only a few flights so far, but I am getting used to it and enjoying the effortless way it seems to move around the sky. I must admit I was nervous about landing a 4.7m 6Kg glider, but the crow braking is so powerful that it can be put down almost anywhere.

Drive train is a geared Leomotion motor with a 20x13 prop on a 6s 3000 Lipo, which easily gives me 3 climbs to 400m+ per flight.

The photo was taken after my first flight with it, hence the big grin 👍

Dick

IMG-20230121-WA0000.thumb.jpg.ee601937312117766c378eb521b5168d.jpg

• Like 8

13 hours ago, trevor wood 2 said:

My first post since the Forum improvement because my old iPad would only let me view the posts but not add any of my own. A visit to Curry’s and £319 later, everything’s been sorted with a new iPad.

During last year’s building session I found an old veneered foam wing that I’d salvaged from a scrap bin at the end of a club meeting. It was a Clark Y style section and roughly 2 meters length   
with a straight taper and had a central servo driving outboard ailerons via internal Bowden cables. A fuselage was needed, and as an experiment I decided to make something a little less conventional. After a month or so of modelling, the photos show the outcome.

The maiden flight was intended to be a test glide to check CG, so I stood a good 120 ft back from the slope edge whilst a helper gave it a level push from shoulder height. The anticipated pitching  problems didn’t materialise, and the model just flew straight and level at a slow walking pace. Approaching the slope edge I decided to let it continue, and the next 5minutes were some of the most relaxed sloping I’ve ever experienced with a new model. 

3AA1AB94-DF82-45EB-9F88-C242692CE04D.jpeg

19F09AE5-0355-4B28-B52F-C74F3C64F6F8.jpeg

Looks like a Can Doo to me, so does  that make it a Can Doo Two ?  🤣

image.thumb.png.79d634bffca72015e21112130d70f950.png

• Like 1

I just bought this second hand  52 inch 300 extra nicely covered with Pennzoil colours and markings. I have cleaned engine and fuel tank up (38) But no idea as to the make of the model, throws etc. clearly an ARTF. Anyone know the model and where I might find the manual? Oh cowl is there but  removed for repair. 

7E11C6E5-7CDB-4BAD-8D89-FB8EDB55DD0B.jpeg

9BC8B988-02C3-4103-A1A9-3E4C09531ABC.jpeg

7473BAC5-16E1-426D-A89C-85D72C2DA2F2.jpeg

The weather has been absolutely perfect for model flying here in central France, light winds and temperatures in the range 10-15C. I flew my Guidato for the first time in late January. This is a 1957 design to which I've added an elevator and steerable nosewheel. Outerzone plan here: https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7378 I built it because I'd admired its snub-nosed appearence since I was a youth and because I'd never seen another Guidato! I'll be seventy-five next month! I intend to use it as an ab initio trainer with retired beginners who find a 46 powered ARTF trainer a bit too hot.

It flew well enough though it's a bit under-powered. With the ASP 30 FS as fitted it would never take off from the average grass strip. Fortunately my club has a tarmac runway.

However, having charged the rx battery on Saturday morning and having set the timer to ten minutes I took off and flew it around in ciruits and horizontal eights   for over five minutes when it suddenly went into a spiral dive and it hit the ground, described as "brutalement" by one witness. The wing popped off the dowels and apart from getting a bit dirty was unharmed. The four fuselage longerons however, broke at the rear. Having carried the wreck back to the pits I had no response to the transmitter. It'll repair.

I attribute the cause of the crash to me being a notorious skinflint! I had fitted an old battery, an old receiver and an old switch! The irony is that I had two brand new good quality switches and rx batteries in my workshop still in their packaging. That'll learn me!

A few before and after pictures for you. My dog photo bombing the first one!

Nearly Ready (3).JPG

Guiidato at field.JPG

Broken Guidato on the potato bucket (1).JPG

• Like 1

Maiden today and by the time we got to IC allowed slot it was windier and more cloudy. Glad to report apart from a few niggles it flies really well and sounds great with that ASP (I think Jon is right about them being set super rich at the bottom end!). A bit more tinkering in the workshop and it will be ready for the better weather 😉

Thanks for the "likes" guys

image.thumb.png.0958dac364a1ae95315bc06cb6a550b6.png

image.thumb.png.3ada7016e0dab4b1e03c5c920e757639.png

• Like 3