I.C. or Electric? - New Poll

Advert

Posted by Martin Harris on 02/12/2015 19:26:27:

Fine Ken, but I'd just like to point out that it is grammatically impossible to prefer both!

Are you sure?

Sometimes I prefer one and sometimes I prefer the other.

I therefore prefer both.

It would be wrong to say I prefer neither, because sometimes I do .wink

Edited By Gary Manuel on 02/12/2015 21:24:37

just taken all my petrol engines out and replaced with 10s electric,seven planes using the same basic setup on 10s.i still like ic and it was hard taking out my radials but they will be replaced with sound systems.for me i found i had to commit to one or the other and electric won.

I seem to be going the other way! I have replaced some (not all ) of my medium/larger electric motors ie from 6S to 12S. I've only kept one 2 stroke petrol (62cc) the rest I've changed back to glow or petrol 4 stroke. Spent much of last weekend discharging my LIPOS to storage capacity - bar a few 2/3s cells ones, which I tend to use on a weekly basis.

I enjoy having a clean airframe, but sometimes miss good old IC, so will see how next season goes!

Edited By Tomtom39 on 02/12/2015 22:51:38

Posted by Gary Manuel on 02/12/2015 21:22:31:

Fine Ken, but I'd just like to point out that it is grammatically impossible to prefer both!

Are you sure?

I therefore prefer both.

It would be wrong to say I prefer neither, because sometimes I do .wink

I'd say that you can either prefer one or the other - or prefer neither - as your answer is conditional. You cannot answer "both" as your answer is untrue in one case at any instant that you make the statement.

And quite frankly, I find that debating the semantics of the questions posed far more interesting than getting into the repetitive IC v EP "mine's better than yours" debate. devil

Edited By Martin Harris on 02/12/2015 23:16:56

Posted by Martin Harris on 02/12/2015 23:09:01:
Posted by Gary Manuel on 02/12/2015 21:22:31:

Are you sure?

I therefore prefer both.

It would be wrong to say I prefer neither, because sometimes I do .wink

I'd say that you can either prefer one or the other - or prefer neither - as your answer is conditional. You cannot answer "both" as your answer is untrue in one case at any instant that you make the statement.

And quite frankly, I find that debating the semantics of the questions posed far more interesting than getting into the repetitive IC v EP "mine's better than yours" debate. devil

Edited By Martin Harris on 02/12/2015 23:16:56

At no point in time do I ever prefer "neither", because that would mean that I prefer a model with no means of propulsion.

Oh, by the way, it is grammatically incorrect to start a sentence with the word "And". devil

Edited By Gary Manuel on 03/12/2015 00:00:41

Edited By Gary Manuel on 03/12/2015 00:01:39

Nice try, Gary, but if you were Alan Davies on QI the sirens would have gone crazy as you typed that last point! cheeky

Although we were taught it at school, the convention you quoted came into favour in the late nineteenth century for no known reason. Modern wisdom has it that starting a sentence with a conjunction is perfectly legitimate, especially when used sparingly for effect.

Let's look at the original point. You can prefer neither option if you have an equal preference or no valid opinion on the matter. You can never prefer both because the verb is an expression of liking one thing better than something else. There is no equal case!

Edited By Martin Harris on 03/12/2015 00:25:06

And I always try to not split infinitives.

But then, I find I prefer electric almost by default. I took my Maher's Thunderbird (Zenoah 26) up to the field just once this year and had a few flights with it. It's just too easy to take a load of charged LiPos and whichever electric model I fancy flying without the hassle of cans/bottles of petrol or glow fuel and the means of starting them. Plus electrons wash off so easily before loading up to come home.

I built an electric conversion of a 60 size glow kit at the beginning of the year and I'm just about finished building a DB 58" wsTiggie, also electric. Next up is a 2 metre competition electric glider (just for sport flying) followed by a Dennis Bryant sixth scale SE5a which will also be battery powered. I just can't see myself building any more glow powered models though petrol is slightly more likely.

Geoff

Shouldn't jets/turbines have a separate vote?

I use Glow, leccy and bungee (it is an energy store/release system isn't it?)

I built a clockwork powered biplane model as a kid. The prop just reduced the rate of descent after launch - a glorious failure.

I also build a lightweight reciprocating valve steam engine too. The model burnt out before take-off !! Just as well really because being a young teenager in the 60s meant that it was free-flight!!

And I used up all my whole and split infinitives during the early 70s. Sorry Ken.

Depends if you care what pulls your model through the sky. I started flying in the early 70's, moved from 2 to 4-strokes in the 80's as I preferred the (normally) quieter sound, then started tinkering with electric power in the late 90's. As brushless and LiPo technology improved and plummeted in price, my electric fleet grew, and by about 2006 I found I just wasn't taking the glow models out - too much faff and mess. Also, I didn't want to keep two sets of support equipment, so I sold off all my glow stuff.

Collecting glow engines was never part of the hobby for me, they just spin the thing on the front (or in the fuz - ducted fans were never practical with IC). Hence I'm 100% electric, and despite over 30 years of flying I/C I don't miss it a bit.

I've been through spells when a leccy model and handfull of batteries seemed a nice easy way to go flying but at heart I'm an oily whatsit. I still consider just a leccy or two for a quick no-faff hour's flying, but the limited battery life just doesn't cut it - my Curare gives me about 5 minutes flying unless I want to kill the 6S pack, barely time to get warmed up.

The Eros with it's OS 48 Surpass will putter about for 20 minutes on 6oz of 5%, and even the Tornado with it's piped .61will go for 10 minutes on a tank.

I prefer both, I usually put something leccy in the car to knock about with in between proper IC flightsdevil

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 03/12/2015 14:55:40

Well I used to be 100% IC. Then I bought ONE electric model, just for messing about with you understand, nothing significant, just a bit of fun in-bteween times.

Well, I really liked it! It was convienient, clean and very very reliable. So I thought, "Mmmmm maybe I'll get another - but perhaps something a bit bigger?" So I did, a World Models Piper Cub that I converted to electric myself. And it was just as good - quite a sucess in fact. 10-15min flight times, plenty of power etc.

So, I added a few more. Then I started to notice some things - well four things actually. Firstly, I started to realise that increasing I was taking fewer and fewer IC models to the strip, until eventually I wasn't taking any! Secondly, I wasn't constantly monitoring how much fuel I had in strore and having to assess if I needed to order more. Thirdly my models weren't "aging" as I was used to, a model that was seeing hard use over a 9-12 month period looked just as good as did when it was new! And finally, and most significantly, I started to notice that I actually flew a lot more than many of my clubmates! I started to notice that many came to strip, tinkered with an engine all day, spent long periods reving it up in the pits and got two flights (one of which ended in a dead stick) then went home. In the meantime I'd flown loads of times.

So, its not with any crusading fevour that I became effectively 100% electric powered - it just happened. I sold some IC models and some engines and I converted the last IC model I wanted to keep to electric about 12 months ago.

The above is just my personal experience - not a support statement for one technology over the other. As many have said - and I totally agree - it matters not one jot what turns the prop at the front end. Use what you like and enjoy it. Use both, use either, or even use none! Its what floats your boat that matters - its "only a hobby"!

BEB

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 03/12/2015 22:46:21:
Posted by Dane Crosby on 03/12/2015 11:29:46:

Shouldn't jets/turbines have a separate vote?

Gas turbines are internal combustion (ic) engines. It's just that the suck, squeeze, bang, blow cycles happen concurrently.

Geoff

or as us chemical engineers would say, it is a continuos process rather than a batch process