Laser Engines - Technical questions

Jon H

Advert

Posted by Martin Harris on 17/12/2019 15:04:24:

Any possibility it could be one of the African made knock offs? Those dimensions are close to 1.25" x 0.9" if that might be significant.

i think they only cloned the 150 and they should be 26.9x33.5 bore/stroke

Posted by trebor on 14/12/2017 18:23:24:

I'll start this off then ! Can you take the end of the silencer to clean the inside out or is it pressed in ? Ps Thanks for the advise earlier and I'll post a picture of the engines after I've finished cleaning I forgot the worst bits the silencers crook

Trebor,

When I asked Neil Tidy how to clean a Laser silencer, he said to put a 3/8" drill down the tail pipe and drill out the crud.

Andy.

Posted by Andy Stephenson on 17/12/2019 18:27:28:
Posted by trebor on 14/12/2017 18:23:24:

I'll start this off then ! Can you take the end of the silencer to clean the inside out or is it pressed in ? Ps Thanks for the advise earlier and I'll post a picture of the engines after I've finished cleaning I forgot the worst bits the silencers crook

Trebor,

When I asked Neil Tidy how to clean a Laser silencer, he said to put a 3/8" drill down the tail pipe and drill out the crud.

Andy.

this will mostly work but you end up drilling through the baffle as well so you end up with more noise. the best bet is to never let it get all grotty in the first place by not using any castor

this will mostly work but you end up drilling through the baffle as well so you end up with more noise. the best bet is to never let it get all grotty in the first place by not using any castor

Jon,

Neil was not suggesting that the drill went any further in than would ream out the coke in the tail pipe, certainly not through any metal inside the silencer.

This was a while ago before he changed to recommending synthetic fuels, although the some still have a small proportion of castor and create carbon deposits.

Andy.

Frank, give the 15x4 a shot. On a model like that it should work well

Andy, 3/8 will wipe out the baffle on both sizes of exhaust. Our exhaust is designed with two gas paths and carbon always blocks the one hidden from view within the exhaust. As a consequence you need to make the remaining path bigger to prevent back pressure increase by drilling through the baffle and this is what Neil always used to recommend.

Its not really a problem now with synthetic oil but in the days of 20% castor an exhaust might only last a year to two before it was blocked.

That's fair enough but the intention behind the recommendation was always to drill through the baffle. Its the only way short of replacement to restore the exit area of the exhaust after the internal passages are blocked but it is only a bodge job solution. Once the exhaust is blocked to the degree that any of this becomes relevant its better to just buy a replacement exhaust and be done with it. In the days of 20% castor this meant a new exhaust every few years and people used to complain they needed an exhaust so frequently. Drilling though it was a free bodge that was well received as it saved the 20 quid for a new exhaust.

Unfortunately its now fallen into folk lore as a viable engineering solution when in reality its nothing more than a bandage on a broken leg.

Unless you have a 75 or other unsupported engine its better to just buy a new exhaust and use synthetic oil in your fuel. If you do that the exhaust will never need replacement unless it either falls off or is damaged in a crash.

Caution - Fairy Power Spray turned the alloy on either an ASP or SC 2* very dark grey when I tried it several years ago. Now what I can't recall is how long I left it on dont know It did clean the engine but chemically changed the colour permanently.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by SR 71 on 13/01/2020 10:42:59:

I have just started a new build, a B36 Peacemaker 108" wingspan, i would like to power it with Laser engines, but i think 50s are the smallest, think it would be overkill with 6 of them ??

Tony

Our smallest is a 70 now (the 50 was discontinued in 1986 i think) and we have a customer in the netherlands using 4 of them to power a 158 inch B17 so 6 in a 108 inch B36 will be a bit much.

I also flew a 100'' Hercules on 4 ASP 30 4 strokes some time back and it was fine so if you wanted the full 6 engines then its likely you would need to go really small.

Thats the beauty of the hobby Don, the time spent filling and starting the six engines is all part of the excitement, not to mention running up the two EDF fans in the four jet engines

So im looking for small four stroke engines, if anyone has any ideas

Tony

Posted by SR 71 on 14/01/2020 06:50:23:

Thats the beauty of the hobby Don, the time spent filling and starting the six engines is all part of the excitement, not to mention running up the two EDF fans in the four jet engines

Tony

If you are rich enough:O.S 56 four stroke.

Maurice

Posted by SR 71 on 14/01/2020 06:50:23:

Tony

Hah! that would be sweet.

One chap in europe has 12 engines (yes, 12) fitted to his big old flying boat. Its absolutely stunning

Anyway, if you want all 6 and to use the EDF's as well then i think you will be going in search of 30's. I used a mix of ASP, SC and Magnum in my hercules as they were all the same. Impossible to get them running together mind you. I just set each one so it was half decent and then got on with it.

Its that or build a bigger one for some 70's

Maurice, the exhaust can point anywhere you like