Why do I now suddenly see my Facebook profile when visiting retail sites?!

Jonathan M

I was just on a RC retailer's website (looking at battery sizes or something but not purchasing) when a popup suddenly emerged with my Facebook name and picture on it! sad

I'm only on two (closed) groups for specific interests, never look at anything else, and I thought I had my preferences set for maximum privacy.

Is this scary 'innovation' something new and how can I stop it?

No expert on Facebook in fact pretty useless but I know that sometimes what you see is your private details and are not visible to the rest of the world. My recommendation is that you contact a teenage family member and ask them what is going on, they are the experts 👍😉

Paul.

Cheers Paul

Yes, I'm aware that only I'm seeing my details not the public at large, but it really narks me that the retailer is in bed with Facebook and so knows that I've been there! Also that the retailer could feasibly be provided with a lot more information about me from Facebook that I'm completely unaware of.

Jon

I have also noticed that on some sites I get pop ups of other sites that I have previously searched. Wonder if this is my browser history or big brother peering down on us 😱. I never put any important details on the likes of Facebook or other sites and invest in a good mal ware software package McAfee at the moment, never 100% bulletproof but I think a good Investment keeps me away from dubious sites.

Paul.

Its targeted marketing. If you visit retailer websites on a regular basis then the data is collected and used to target you on other sites, usually on banners either side or below the screen. It will soon be the same on TV.

The more a company pays, the more marketing they get.

Edited By ChrisB on 01/01/2018 22:32:15

Tracking cookies, I believe, is what they are called. Most sites have a box that pops up ( no of us probably take no notice of them) about them saying “ by continuing to use this site you agree to cookies”.

Cookie

It always amazes me about people getting cyber bullied. I had it only on one occasion. It was at work. A really nasty comment was posted about me on FB. I WENT STRAIGHT TO UPPER MANAGEMENT.. The post was deleted and the idiot left the firm in the end. I didn’t do anything with FB for months, I still don’t post that often and I ignore all the upgrade and improvement messages that FB send. If they want to chuck me off, fine. I really only use it for closed  family group messages between us and the kids. It’s more immediate and free.

Edited By cymaz on 02/01/2018 06:44:58

Frank has hit the nail on the head. I managed to completely avoid FB for years, until a sailing club I belong to moved its communications forum on there, and at the same time the owners association did likewise. So it was a question of join FB or remain outside of the loop (for both organisations) from that point onwards!

Re LIFE - most of us have to use the technology (while trying to avoid it using us!) starting with flint and bone.

FB is the scourge of our times.MO Why does everyone want to put their lives on view? Im  really not interested and  dont want to know what they did last night or other inane rubbish they post. I dont want to be friends with someone who i dont know from Adam ! FB has virtually killed our club forum where members used to post build blogs ,tips and club relevant news and photos etc. They moved to FB as its easier to upload stuff from a mobile but that's wained now. I was asked to open a FB account to moderate our site but now get FB pop ups on virtually every site I visit ! Yes it has its uses but its intrusive and dangerous for vulnerable members of society . Well said Wilco Wingco dump FB and get a life .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 02/01/2018 09:23:41

If you don't pay for it you are the product & not the customer. If you don't want your personal details to be used/sold by Facebook or Google et al then don't use them. Get an unrelated second email address (plenty are available) & move your date of birth by a month & use these on FB where they won't be linked to the real you.

If you read the T&C's on Facebook you will find -

About Advertisements and Other Commercial Content Served or Enhanced by Facebook

Our goal is to deliver advertising and other commercial or sponsored content that is valuable to our users and advertisers. In order to help us do that, you agree to the following:

1. You give us permission to use your name, profile picture, content, and information in connection with commercial, sponsored, or related content (such as a brand you like) served or enhanced by us. This means, for example, that you permit a business or other entity to pay us to display your name and/or profile picture with your content or information, without any compensation to you. If you have selected a specific audience for your content or information, we will respect your choice when we use it.
  2. We do not give your content or information to advertisers without your consent.
  3. You understand that we may not always identify paid services and communications as such

So item 1 allows Facebook to do whatever they like with the information you provide them with and item no.2 is superfluous as you gave them permission in item no.1.

I don't like Facebook so I so don't use it ..but I don't have any friends eithersmiley

Just noticed the advice in the post above... it is against the rules to give false information...although the only punishment appears to be disbarment..  (no great loss there then)

Edited By MaL on 02/01/2018 10:09:51

Posted by Peter Miller on 02/01/2018 08:50:41:

I refuse to go on any of those sort of sites.

The ONLY one that I go on is this one,

This site is nothing like face book. It operates in a totally different way by facilitating sharing and communications in a different methodology. There is no constantly updated timeline for example.

Its interesting to me reading the posts on this thread as i am firmly of the belief that Laser need a facebook page. Like it or loath it, facebook is used by many many organisations as a quick and easy way to update their customers on what it is they are up to. BBMF have a facebook page and regularly post nice photos and other information about their activities. The Duxford based restoration companies also post behind the scenes videos of engines tests and other bits and bobs. I also get notifications of gigs and events by musical artists i follow. From a Laser point of view, if i shared little videos of my work here or even only used it for notifications of items being in stock, i am sure it would be well received. 

For me personally, i use it to share photos i have taken with friends and organise when my pc gaming group will get together and fly. I share other aviation related things with that group and we have a good old time. Its not unlike the forum here. The key is to only add people you already know, the objective is not to add everyone in the entire world. At least, to me its not anyway.

That said, most of the guys i fly with on my pc game i met through the game, we then added eachother on facebook, became friends and visit airshows etc together. I have numerous friends all over the world that i have met gaming and keep in touch with through facebook. We have even met in various places all over europe so to say that having facebook means you have no life is somewhat short sighted as it has given me the opportunity to meet people and visit places i probably never would have any other way.

However, i do agree that we dont need 20 status updates a day and a photo of each meal you have eaten. That is taking it too far.

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 02/01/2018 12:07:26

Or just use an ad blocker.

I use Adblock Plus, a tiny little free add on for my browsers. No ads or pop ups anywhere. Especially good for viewing youtube, no ads anywhere.

9 ads blocked on this page alone just while typing this and almost 3.3 million in the past four years or so.

Posted by Monz on 02/01/2018 12:11:32:

Or just use an ad blocker.

I use Adblock Plus, a tiny little free add on for my browsers. No ads or pop ups anywhere. Especially good for viewing youtube, no ads anywhere.

9 ads blocked on this page alone just while typing this and almost 3.3 million in the past four years or so.

Quite agree Monz - already use ABP and what a difference! laugh

Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 02/01/2018 11:41:09:

And in answer to the original post: Clear your cookies or use private browsing. It is, unfortunately, the only way of securing some degree of privacy when shopping online.

Thank you LHF for the plain technical advice - I shall do exactly this!