Electric Cars.

Cuban8

23 minutes ago, J D 8 said:

Going to take lot to beat my old Landy then, doing just 5k a year and the carbon released when it was made went up 32 years ago [ owned since 93] With a bit of luck will be going many more.:classic_smile:

Exactly.

Hopefully good for another 32 years and the amount of pollution caused by 5k miles of running you do is not worth losing sleep over.

Advert

55 minutes ago, J D 8 said:

Going to take lot to beat my old Landy then, doing just 5k a year and the carbon released when it was made went up 32 years ago [ owned since 93] With a bit of luck will be going many more.:classic_smile:

But it’s not just CO2 is it? You would never work on your landy with the engine running in an enclosed space, it would be just too dangerous.

Fundamentally burning stuff is bad for all of us:

Asthma Link

Dementia link

Cancer Link

We didn’t know the half of this 30 odd years ago, but we do now. It’s time to move on and do things better IMHO for everyone’s sake.

idd

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IDD15 said:

But it’s not just CO2 is it? You would never work on your landy with the engine running in an enclosed space, it would be just too dangerous.

Fundamentally burning stuff is bad for all of us:

Asthma Link

Dementia link

Cancer Link

We didn’t know the half of this 30 odd years ago, but we do now. It’s time to move on and do things better IMHO for everyone’s sake.

idd

And every vehicle produced of what ever power source will need thousands of litres of diesel/oil to be burnt in digging the ore/elements from the ground, refining them, transporting them, and so on until the car arrives at the show room on likely a diesel powered truck.

I have no doubt though the greatest health benefit of EV's will be to those who live in large urban areas.

Do not fall into the trap of thinking EV's are going to save the planet [ it would be more correct to say save the human race ] any more than those who think switching to a vegan diet would have you believe.

Edited by J D 8
spelling.

38 minutes ago, Don Fry said:

Why is 50 kg load limit a problem. I have a typical all up load weight on one of my trailers, 1450 kg. The motor box is rated for that. The trailer nose weight is less than 50kg. 

If you read further back you will see that, for me, I need the towbar to carry more than 50Kg as I have 2 ebikes plus carrier to hang off it, this means that both the MG4 and 5 are off my list! It has been suggested that I build a small 'A frame" trailer to carry the bikes on but that creates all manner of problems when we go anywhere!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

What they like to drive ? Owt stand out as being different better than I.C ?

I’ve driven a Honda Leaf, a Vw Golf Gte, VW ID3, and a mid range Tesla. All were simple to drive, all nice drives, all got good low end grunt. Good commute, shopping cars. 

The Vw ID3 (mates car) was returned to VW, too many software problems, and the children who worked for VW could not fix it. Also problems finding chargers when away from home. He travels a lot. 
All rounders, suit me, no. Can’t tow heavy loads, suit Ron, no, can’t carry his bikes. 
The Tesla would suit a lot of folk. Quick, nice drive, dedicated fast charging system. My neibour has one, works car. And he pays very little tax to have it. He charges it in work, and on the 1200 km journey from home to his house 2 doors up from me stops to recharge in the dedicated Tesla chargers in the time he drinks a cup of coffee. So he has in affect a free car, and no fuel bill to speak of. 

Me, I have to pay for my cars.  I am lucky enough I could buy one. Won’t, better coming down the line.
Stick to my box. Reliable, 100 kg nose weight limit, tows anything, 1000 km range, carries an 8 foot wing, enough dents to gain respect, worth nothing.

Never mind ‘saving the planet’,  bourgeoning population growth is probably the biggest threat with the strain on resources, loss of habitat and diversity too. EVs  are not much help with that, never mind global warning. 
I simply find EVs nicer to drive than IC, even though I have a nice diesel car too, to tow my caravan/boat (EVs pretty rubbish at that). It is the quiet smoothness and linear acceleration I like. Single pedal driving is a revelation as far as I am concerned. I like the simple engineering of an electric motor rather than an engine and drive train with a couple of thousand parts. Yes, batteries have their limitations and idiosyncrasies, less range in the cold for instance. But remember if you charge overnight, each morning you will likely have a couple of hundred miles of range even in a ‘budget EV’ which is normally OK for most people. Average UK mileage is 7500/year or about 20miles a day.

Yes, there are not enough public chargers but which came first, IC cars or their petrol stations? Same with EVs and public chargers. Also, there should have been huge government incentives for companies to open them but that is down to politics and priorities!

Talk to the unconvinced about EVs and they will usually say they couldn’t possible afford a Tesla. Who said anything about buying a Tesla? You are spoilt for choice and most EVs  are cheaper than a Tesla, apart from prestige brands like BMW, Audi, Merc or LR. As EVs become mainstream more small entry-level models will enter the marketplace. Then there is the expanding second hand market…

• Like 2

The only EV I've driven so far is my son in law's Tesla Model Y. Very good, smooth progressive power delivery, better than the best automatic you can imagine. Handles well for a tall car, but the ride is a little firm. Goes like stink went you want to, but easy to potter around in. Double glazing helps it be quiet inside. Good under-bonnet and under-boot floor storage, it's a hatchback and the seats fold to a flat floor. Don't know what or if it can tow, but that doesn't bother me. Has returned an average 260Wh/mile so far.

End of road test!

Edited by Trevor Crook
Correction

I.C cars and petrol pumps ? Yep it's true infrastructure took time, the masses worked Local for the most part though, walked, cycled or took a bus/train to work. Horse n carts aplenty and no time pressure on delivering infrastructure as is the case this time. The workforce is more mobile now and travels further, cheap cars on the way ? Well a "Cheap" car these days has range, owners like to travel for leisure activities holidays etc, what use is a vehicle with low range to people who've had freedom to travel all their lives ? How many of you now have an EV for pottering, yet retain an I.C for longer journeys ? Be fun on a Bank Holiday at charge points.

Early days n talk of it being cheaper, you really believe that will last ? I don't, I see the way we use roads changing, the cash cow needs feeding.

Anyone know how big the resources for making batteries is and the expected lifetime of these resources before they're gone ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Piers Bowlan said:

Then there is the expanding second hand market…

How quickly though?  We’re told that electric cars need few repairs and little servicing and coupled with the extensive use of composites, aluminium etc. the only practical reason to offload would be a declining battery.  Not a very attractive proposition to a cash poor second hand buyer some years into the car’s life. 

A well serviced IC car can be a practical proposition for at least 15 years or 150000 - 200000 miles or more without major expense. 

Electric power is obviously going to expand in popularity but to expect everyone to embrace it straight away is unrealistic. Affordability and personal preference will mean that many will not be in a position to switch for quite a few years. 

I could afford to buy one but I have no reason, with my far reduced mileage since retirement, to buy one yet. My daily car is a diesel which costs less than a couple of gallons of glow fuel to tax and I fill the tank less than once a month on average and I have no intention of selling my green 1955 Land Rover until petrol supplies are unobtainable or I’m not capable of driving it.

Green?  As JD8 explained, it’s carbon footprint is tiny compared to manufacturing a new car and I suspect that recycling it would create more pollution than running it for the foreseeable future.  And it’s painted green…

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, J D 8 said:

Well the lichens/likens that grow on mine's roof can be green.:classic_biggrin:

I had mine cleaned last year, missus moaning about lichen growth. The nice Polish bloke who runs a good valeting service in a nearby town, unknown to me , lives in my village, and recognized the car from its lichen.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Shaun Walsh said:

So the Polish guy took a lichen to it?

Nice one. He rolled his eyes.
The car was delivered back to the house after two days, end of work day, by his lady ( French chic), who cooed with mine about the impossibility of keeping clothes nice in dirty cars. 

4 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

How quickly though?  We’re told that electric cars need few repairs and little servicing and coupled with the extensive use of composites, aluminium etc. the only practical reason to offload would be a declining battery.  Not a very attractive proposition to a cash poor second hand buyer some years into the car’s life. 

Autotrader is full of used EVs so I think there is a pretty healthy second hand market. Some people don't need an excuse to buy a new car, a neighbour of mine said he changed his car every year simply because he got bored driving the same car! He seemed surprised I didn't, especially when I told him I usually held onto them until they fell apart. My Diesel LR Disco 3 was regularly serviced but the big end went after 112k miles, shattering the crankshaft. 😱 Yes I was expecting 150-200K miles too 😢 My current Disco Sport developed a very noisy timing chain after 50K and I was told that it was a known design fault with the 2016 'Ingenium' engine. Apparently the tensioners fail, usually resulting in the chain breaking and righting off the engine. At great expense I had the chain replaced and it now runs like a sewing machine after 85k miles - and counting. That is why I like EVs, they don't have a timing chain! 🤣

Your green 1955 LR will probably never die Martin. They don't make em like they used to.

Edited by Piers Bowlan

21 hours ago, J D 8 said:

>   And every vehicle produced of what ever power source will need thousands of litres of diesel/oil to be burnt in digging the ore/elements from the >ground, refining them, transporting them, and so on until the car arrives at the show room on likely a diesel powered truck.

Not necessarily, things are improving in this regard. There is a tremendous amount of effort going into decarbonise those machines as well. For example both Tesla and Volvo are shipping their first trucks to customers. Amazon has placed a huge order for delivery vans from Rivian, and Arrival in the UK is oh so close to shipping its first delivery trucks also. You can even buy an electric Ford Transit!

>I have no doubt though the greatest health benefit of EV's will be to those who live in large urban areas.

Yup most probably, but it would be wrong to ignore the needs of those in rural areas as has been done with broadband access. 

>Do not fall into the trap of thinking EV's are going to save the planet [ it would be more correct to say save the human race ] any more than those >who think switching to a vegan diet would have you believe.

Agreed, it is going to take a lot more than EV's to save the planet. However, by making a choice in using my discretionary spending power to drive an EV I can at least make some contribution. Sadly in this day and age I think peoples wallets have more power than their vote.

As for veganism and saving the planet, well I think it would be best to start another thread/topic for that. 😃

TTFN

idd

Well done IDD. That does you credit.
Unfortunately having read, over the years, the 93 preceding pages, I have read tales of freeloaders, joyously celebrating the tax payer provided perks. I believe that personal responsibility is pushed historically by the oil industry, trying to persuade governments from doing something to sort the problems that excess energy use causes. With some success. 

• Like 3