Solarfilm

Advert

Posted by David Hayward. on 06/02/2018 16:25:04:

Gutted; can someone please buy the business?

how to make a small fortune out of a large one?

I guess that if they can't compete with the Chinese polyester films the 'tex and paints business alone is not viable. Pity, I'll miss Clearcote - time to stock up.

I must admit I haven't used Solarfilm for some time and use the actually better product supplied by HobbyKing but it's sad to see another UK company cease trading. The article in this month's RCME didn't inspire a huge amount of confidence. The big loss will be Solartex which I still use - I bought a 5 metre roll only a couple of weeks ago for my DH60 Cirrus Moth. There doesn't seem to be a similar substitute other than doped nylon or silk and dope doesn't go down well with my wife as my workshop is attached to the house.

Geoff

What a great shame. I'm a big fan of SolarTex and use it on most of my kit built models. Yet to be started is a DB Hurricane, DB Blackburn and nearing the covering stage is a DB Jodel. Although I have a mix of ARTF models and foame types, I love building from kits and plans.

really sad. great products. Having retired over the last couple of year, I had got back to scratch building rather than ARTFs assembly.... so in recent months I have been using solartex, solarspan, balsaloc etc......I dont really want to really retro to nylon or silk coverings.

Maybe with Brexit we will see more Coverite products coming over from the USA. We will get fantastic trading deals with our very special trading relationship... ha !

Such are the problems with cottage industries. Not viable enough that bigger concerns will take them over.

I am assuming that the owners have been trying to sell the company on for some time.

As it is associated closely with the textile industry I would have thought there might have ben some interest from India. They love anything to do with cloth and its manufacture.

Glad I stocked up before Christmas !

This hobby is getting harder, and harder. I recently acquired a lathe, and one reason was make it is getting easier than trace/find.

Now I have used Ceconite, from the microlight industry, but it is not the same as something with glue on one face, colour on the other. I have a quarter scale DV. A mix of Ceconite and Tex. but the Tex was first call where the colour was right.

Shame. Onwards and upwards.

Posted by Robert Welford on 06/02/2018 19:31:51:

Yes - this situation is going to continue and for traditional builders it is going to be increasingly difficult to source materials. In addition, there are almost no traditional R/C kits now available. sad

The problem with "traditional kits" is that their quality is no longer acceptable, even to the builders who used to buy them. Modern kits have to be of a far higher standard for the current "generation" (and I don't mean by age) of builders. Then along with good quality comes higher prices, which are not acceptable (particularly to those of us over a certain age). I remember from my yoof, older club members complaining about the high price of kits even then, never mind their quality !

As some of you know, I am involved in a project to bring one range of kits back to the market to a modern standard. This I am doing mostly for my own enjoyment and a promise I made to the late Brian Borland. The hours that are necessary to develop and produce kits do not make it a viable business model, particularly if you had to pay for U.K. labour !

Oh no! Sad news. I've still got a collection of solar products from my early forray into aero modelling back in the 90's. Amazingly, my 20 odd year old tins of solarlac are still usable (and being used) today.

I'll have to stock up on solartrim - is there an alternative to this?

A serious blow indeed and quite a shock in many respects.

For me solartex is one of those products that is the 'only' answer for recreating a fabric covered model. I know that alternatives are available now but just look at the cost. Solartex was not cheap, but it lasted more or less forever.

Like many I might have to grab some while I can.