Solarfilm

Advert

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 06/02/2018 17:20:00:

I must admit I haven't used Solarfilm for some time and use the actually better product supplied by HobbyKing but it's sad to see another UK company cease trading.

Geoff, I'm not having a pop at you here, so please don't take my use of this quote as such; but what you have written sums up (in my opinion) the hypocritical, blinkered view of the majority of posters on this forum... viz "I say British is best, and we should support British businesses, but I'm going to buy from an online Chinese warehouse because it costs me less money whether-or-not it is a better product; but you should buy British and support the LMAs because of the principles I the average forumite and columnist espouse. Do as I say, not as I do."

Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 07/02/2018 22:26:54:
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 06/02/2018 17:20:00:

I must admit I haven't used Solarfilm for some time and use the actually better product supplied by HobbyKing but it's sad to see another UK company cease trading.

Geoff, I'm not having a pop at you here, so please don't take my use of this quote as such; but what you have written sums up (in my opinion) the hypocritical, blinkered view of the majority of posters on this forum... viz "I say British is best, and we should support British businesses, but I'm going to buy from an online Chinese warehouse because it costs me less money whether-or-not it is a better product; but you should buy British and support the LMAs because of the principles I the average forumite and columnist espouse. Do as I say, not as I do."

No, that's fair enough.

Actually the HK film I've been using didn't replace Solarfilm directly but Profilm which is far better than Solarfilm but more expensive. I used to buy the Profilm from the last model shops accessible to me as well as most of my modelling requirements like balsa, servos etc. There are no LMS nearer than 20 miles at least and those are in cities which I avoid as far as possible just as I avoid driving (a lot of my visits to shops was by pedal cycle if I could carry my purchases)

I still use Solartex and would buy that from a local shop if there were one. I was brought up in the retail trade (radio/TV) and worked for a UK TV manufacturer in the 1950s (Murphy Radio) and a UK computer manufacturer in the 1960s (GEC/ICT) ending working for a UK aero engine manufacture until I retired. So I'm acutely aware of the problems.

What am I supposed to do? I have to buy on-line and sil use UK suppliers where possible (eg airtek, T9 and DB S&S)

Geoff

I haven't used the bog-standard Solarfilm for years because I couldn't stop it wrinkling in the sun however I tried (my face seems to have gone the same way too).

HOWEVER I've used their polyester film and Solartex exclusively. Wonderful stuff, it is a real shame they cannot continue. Pity they didn't make some flesh colour......

Last time I purchased solar film from my local model shop, obviously old stock, because on unpeeling the backing some of the colour flaked away from the edges.

I'm not building or covering anymore so it doesn't matter to me, but I reckon this hobby is going through not a revolutionary change, but a supply and demand the likes has never been seen.

Posted by kc on 07/02/2018 13:34:13:

In reply to Bob Cotsford - - the point is our government needs to protect British industry and put sufficient duty on imports from countries with appalling rates of industrial pollution and labour conditions so that British firms who have to pay proper wages and not pollute can sell on a level playing field. If our government does not then the the worst governments in the world will take over the world by trade. Untold billions were spent on trying to protect the world from communism ( dictatorship ) and now we are handing them our industries on a plate! Madness! McCarthyism was madnes but now we have the madness in the extreme opposite direction. Insane

In an ideal world import duties would give UK manufacturers an edge - in this country. Unfortunately this wouldn't help with our exports which are the life blood of most UK manufacturers as tit-for-tat duties would be applied by our overseas customers. It's all a bit of a juggling act for those who have to negotiate overseas trade deals.

Looking at Solarfilm itself, who say that the US market used to be a big customer for them. Most US forums discussions that I've seen in recent years centre around the use of Profilm or Monocote, occasionally there is a mention of Solartex. HK/'Chinacote' is also being mentioned more often. Now is this down to a lack of marketing in the US arena on the part of Solarfilm? I don't know, but if your primary export market has forgotten you then you are in trouble.

TomTom, I agree that the ARTFs have had an enormous effect on modeling generally, despite some iffy QC. I wonder whether anyone at Solarfilm had tried selling their produce to the ARTF manufacturers? Too late now.

Probably my main concern is that our hobby is becoming so niche, that many of the products we have taken for granted could become unobtainable.

I know that many will lament the passing of the Solafilm business, as I will to a degree. I also accept that some of the products were far more affordable than other similar products. Yet they still seemed expensive to me.

Why do i think so? As a young man I worked for a period for Reid International the then owners of the Crown brand. The machines talked about as being unique, were in themselves common place for printing wall papers, the technology being very similar. I then went to work in the food industry for a company that made film and printing machines for plastic films. The sort of thing you see in your kitchen cupboards. The machines were just a derivation of the wall paper machines. The difference is that food companies expect and get the films that we have bought for fractions of pennies, where we have paid pounds.

The question possibly is why the discrepancy? Food films are bought by the mile, to date, they have become the best (improved shelf life) and cheapest way of packing food. I guess HK buys the stuff by the mile, sells relatively cheaper and still makes a good profit. That is possibly the issue for Solafilm, they lost the market to a lower cost producer, although on the face of it, they should have been competitive if the sales cost were reigned in, maintaining the production volumes.

Crown were based in Darwin, the machine makers in Altrincham. The food film producers and film machine coaters in Salford. Non far from Chorley or Blackpool.

I think people would be surprised at the variation of straight films, Overprinter films (similar to Solafilm), Heatshrink films, that have been produced for the food industry. I think all based on the knowledge gained from the wall paper industry, who obtained the patents as reparations after WW1.

As for Solatex, never seen a machine doing the same job.

Edited By Erfolg on 08/02/2018 23:27:39

Edited By Erfolg on 08/02/2018 23:28:51

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 08/02/2018 11:13:19:

TomTom, I agree that the ARTFs have had an enormous effect on modeling generally, despite some iffy QC. I wonder whether anyone at Solarfilm had tried selling their produce to the ARTF manufacturers? Too late now.

ARTF manufacturers source their covering films locally, twenty years ago the quality was very poor but look at them now. When on my travels, I used to buy a few rolls from Radar, the retail outlet for World Models in Hong Kong. There were bins full of rolls of film for about a pound each. With manufacturing taking place in mainland China the labor, production and with minuscule overheads, compared to the UK, little wonder Solarfilm didn't stand a chance despite customer loyalty.

Are there any alternatives to Litespan or Clearcoat  ? I use this on small or light models as a tissue replacement as it far superior to tissue IMO ; Clearcoat is also a good heat sensitive adhesive for the Litespan as well as an excellent fuel proofer. Hopefully someone will pick up the pieces and take over Solarfilm's.

Good luck in retirement and thanks for the years given to modelling.

Steve Webb Models sells their own - Toughlon, and it is quite good, being a wide roll - much more than Solarfilm and it's 800mm wide and a full 2m.

Examples:

World Models Toughlon: 2mx 800mm roll. around £14;

World Models Litex for lighter models;

Profilm;

Oratex:

Oracover; 2m x 600mm wide £17.99 per roll.

and Monocote

Still a good range of coverings.

They keep a good stock of the WM stuff.

I would expect that those with a LMS will find that the vacuum apparently created by the demise of Solafilm will fill very quickly, as suppliers fall over themselves to fill that void.

The down side is that the film will probably come from outside of the UK, propbably from outside of the EU.

Probably there is just not enough of a UK market here to support a UK based business. That is particularly when most if not all ARTF models come from the Far East, where local firms can supply faster. apparently at lower cost.

What really has surprised me is that ARTF models often come with complex patterns, which appear in many cases to be part of the process of the film production process, even further adding value potentially to a ARTF model producer.

Posted by Erfolg on 09/02/2018 16:30:53:

Probably there is just not enough of a UK market here to support a UK based business. That is particularly when most if not all ARTF models come from the Far East, where local firms can supply faster. apparently at lower cost.

An good illustration of the problem was the recent case in the papers/TV of the 'Chinese Wedding Dresses', where disgruntled customers complained that their bespoke dresses costing £1000 - £1400 were not, as they thought, made in the UK, but imported from China at a cost to the UK importer of around £200. The legal details & rights/wrongs of the actual case are irrelevant, but it does go to show how cheaply even a quality, niche product can be manufactured in China, yet still make a profit for the factory.

Edited By Cuban8 on 14/02/2018 08:04:21

Having sold a house in England and having retired to rural France where house prices are about 35% of the price they were at home, I found myself, for the first time in my life, pretty well-wedged. Music is a major interest of mine and I bought a brand new valve hi-fi amplifier. I picked it up from the factory when I was back in England for a family funeral. It performs beautifully but imagine my surprise when I read through the papers which came with the amplifier when I found out that while the amplifier was designed in the UK, it was actually assembled in China. The amplifiers were then returned to the UK where they were comprehensively tested before being released to the public. Sign of the times.