Where's all the stock?

Glider Guider

hi all,

I'm looking at buying an RTF glider, nothing fancy but reasonably priced and from a uk shop.

Hobbyking etc don't interest me I'd rather support a uk shop but I'm getting frustrated!

I've looked at many shops online and one thing is consistent between all of them... they just don't have the models in stock!

How can we support them if we can't make a simple purchase without waiting for it to be ordered to the shop then to me etc....

Frustrating.

Advert

I am reminded of a conversation that I had with a well known modelshop proprietor.

He was asked for advice by someone who was setting up their own model shop.

He told them "Stock up on accessries and small stuff. A customer will wait for a week for a kit but he wants the small bits NOW"

I visited the new models shop some time before this conversation. They had great big expensive kits and a few smaller bits and pieces.

Not long afterwards I went back....they had closed.

Once a shopis established they can expand.

This is not a comment on anyone in particular. just something that stuck in my mind.

Many thanks for the feedback yes

Will look at Airtek Percy thanks smiley

I'm looking at RTF as I'm returning to the hobby and just want something I can walk over to the field with and enjoy, I've had enough of building, I've built and restored loads of models since my teens (in my forties now) blush and I just want a foamie RTF for some summer relaxation.

Thanks again all.

here is the thing - if you buy a foamie or ARTF from hobbyking UK its made in china but your keeping a UK worker in employment so if you buy a foamie or ARTF from UK supplier its also made in china - whats the differance

some will argue that your keeping your LMS going but your also keeping HK in the UK too and we all know how good HK is for the bits and bobs that you cant get

just my thoughts

dont get me wrong i regularly buy kits etc from online  LMS 

Edited By rcaddict on 25/01/2019 22:09:18

• 2 months later...

If any retailer is sitting on £50k worth of stock that nobody wants to buy, then I respectfully suggest they are holding the wrong stock!

I find it particularly annoying to google an item that I want only to find 'out of stock' when I click on the link. The OP is right - many UK sites have whole categories showing 'no stock'! It doesn't win them any friends!

Edited By Mike T on 25/04/2019 12:41:40

I think the FMS Fox 2.32M span is good value and flies really well on the slope or flat. ( I considered getting another after my first was totalled due to finger trouble!). Like you say, currently out of stock but CML distribution who import it are expecting a shipment on the 7th May so not too long to wait if you fancy one of those. FMS also do a 3m version that looks excellent but then it should, for the price.

The Multiplex models are beautifully produced and fly well (FunRay, Solios and Heron in particular) but the RR versions are pricy for foam models in my view. Maybe a tad cheaper if you buy the kit versions and source your own motor/prop/ESC/ and servos but if you are in a hurry get the RR, you won't regret it. Sussex Model Centre has the Funray in stock I think.

This might seem a bit far fetched, but this is what we do:

We have a club "shop" in our club hut.

It stocks most of the odds and ends that we need on a regular basis, and comes from mainly deceased members workshops. (Props, servos, wheels, glue, servos etc. etc.).

Items are purchased on donation basis and money collected monthly at club night by the shop treasurer.

We have been doing this for a couple of years now, and so far it works a treat.

Maybe food for thought for some clubs.

Posted by Denis Watkins on 25/01/2019 21:05:17:

Apologies, but we sit in the shop all week with £50k of stock, and barely see anyone,

And when someone does come in, they want something that's not there,

Then Saturday at last, they all come for a look around and leave with 2 props.

I hope this helps

I understand this totally but I travelled 50 miles to visit 3 LHS to get some 1.5mm amd 3mm ply. All 3 had none. I realise shops can not stock everything but I thought I would get the ply.

Posted by Gary Murphy 1 on 25/04/2019 19:01:47:

I understand this totally but I travelled 50 miles to visit 3 LHS to get some 1.5mm amd 3mm ply. All 3 had none. I realise shops can not stock everything but I thought I would get the ply.

Wicks have loads of plywood in stock at a fraction of the lms price. Other DIY shops are avaliable.

That is a good point Stephen, I have often sourced stuff ( on the bits and Bobs front ) from places other than My LMS.

It can't be easy to decide on what stock to keep, and I suspect even if you had 99/100 items people would still ask for something you didn't have.

However, I have yet to see a glider in a DIY store....cheeky mind you, Aldi have done them, or was it Lidl ???

D.D.

I recently ordered an Easyglider 4 RR from Al`s Hobbies in Milton Keynes and it only took a week or so to get hold of. I went for an RR because I'm impatient to get it flying without having to find and/or buy a suitable motor, speed controller and servos, as well as put it all together. I don't think the R.R is bad value for its quality and flying reputation, I've flown my Easyglider and was pleased with how well it went straight out of the box and its easy to fly. Not my first Multiplex model but I wanted a relaxing go-to glider to replace my much repaired Radian.

Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 25/04/2019 19:52:34:
Posted by Gary Murphy 1 on 25/04/2019 19:01:47:

Wicks have loads of plywood in stock at a fraction of the lms price. Other DIY shops are avaliable.

Unless it differs from many other DIY sheds, it's usually of dubious quality unlike the birch ply stocked by reputable model shops.

Glider Guider, our local (ish) model shop, pegasus models, has a large stock of both aircraft and accessories, they also do mail order.

Not sure what takes your fancy but you could always look at their site, if any questions about anthing, they are only a phone call away and very helpful.

www.pegasusmodels.co.uk

Martin it is construction grade. 4mm was the thinnest last time I looked. Probably made from pine or similar. It has many voids.

Can be perfectly usable if you are prepared to cut around the holes!

I've used it in place of 1/8 th birch ply for UC mounts and the like.

Also for firewalls on foamies.