What's your do everything model, or do you have one of everything?

Afternoon all. Having spent some excellent afternoons out with the folks from the club down the field, it occurred to me that some types fly one thing and keep doing it: one kind of aeroplane - the sort of flyer that either dedicates their abilities to one airframe and getting to know it well and to wring it out, and then there is the other sort: ( broadly speaking) they have Fun Flies, scale jobs, helis, gliders, waterplanes and qu*ds.

Even those of us with a need to try everything twice, ( you know, to make sure) have favourites - perhaps an old model you've had since Phil smith was in shorts, or one you love so much you keep on rebuilding after every crash or just re buying after every session ending with airframe all over a field/car/bystander.

So what's your favourite, your Weapon of choice, so to speak?

I ask for two reasons: One: I am nosy and two: I am currently flying a foamy while I get some models made and was considering what to get started with after I finish the Chilli Breeze and deacon on my building board.

Advert

I tend to have a favourite of the month and then I try to rotate the second and third models that I take so that they all get a regular airing. It doesn't do much for getting really familiar with the flying characteristics but it does keep me on my toes and interested.

Favourites usually rotate between various Wots though the ARTF WotsWot and Wot4 dominated last year, closely followed by a Flair SE5a. Much depends on the weather on the day.

My favourite is often the latest one I've built...but it's usually a matter of looking out of the window/consulting the forecast to decide what to take to the field.

It's like asking which is your favourite child but the model I'd least like to lose is a very well patinated circa 1982 third hand Sterling Models Stearman which I fly when the weather is suitable to enjoy it properly.

Couldn't pick one, but -

I've had a Chilli of some sort for a good few years of the hobby. Superb design. Fast, precise, good manners.

These days the profile and/or foamie 3d type models have superceded the old fun fly types for me, so there's always one of those ready to go. I've had excellent value from the Hobbyking 955mm MX2, and considering replacing it (its a bit battered now) with another one.

My 'favourite' model depends a lot on the weather: On windy days I don't want to risk one of my built-up balsa models so I fly my Multiplex Twinstar, or my TRex 500 heli, or a 250-size quad, depending on how much wind.

On good flying days my go-to model is my Flair Magnatilla, though a scale(ish) Blackburn 1912 and a 1/5 size Piper Cub also come out often. Several other models come out maybe once a year.

All my models are electric.

I have far too many favourites to choose just one. They all perform differently (from mild to wild) and a "favourite of the day" will depend on the weather conditions and how I am feeling prior to a flying session.

Like Graham, I am partial to a nice biplane. Flying low, four stroke engine....... Ahhhhhh.

asp fs-120_fs_bc.jpg

My favorite go to plane has to be my Red Eagle, RCME free plan some time ago, nice steady flier, will handle a variety of wind speeds and is just as happy down on our patch as it is on the slopes... That said, when the red mist comes over me the HobbyKing Teksumo wing just has to have the living daylights wrung out of it!

On re-thinking the question, I suppose that the model which can always find a place in the car on the worst of days is an old 3D electric profile EPP foam Extra with no u/c which I have flown in every sort of condition imaginable barring torrential rain (although I did once fly a foam EDF from the club garage in such conditions to see if there was any truth in the rumour that 2.4GHz was badly affected by rain - there wasn't) with a few strips of high output LEDs allowing night/mist flying. Some 48 mph gusts the other week meant that it was standing still at full throttle in level flight at times and a genuine full throttle approach for the landing was interesting.

Posted by Andy G. on 05/04/2019 09:16:17:

My favorite go to plane has to be my Red Eagle, RCME free plan some time ago, nice steady flier, will handle a variety of wind speeds and is just as happy down on our patch as it is on the slopes... That said, when the red mist comes over me the HobbyKing Teksumo wing just has to have the living daylights wrung out of it!

Have to agree with Andy, Red Eagle is by far and away my most often flown plane, its fantastic. Its very relaxing to fly and out of a 3S 2200mAh its easy to get very long flights 40 mins to 50 if the conditions are good.

I have other planes and enjoy them a lot, but just for duration of flights and relaxed flying, the Red Eagle is perfect.