The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread

Nigel R

Posted by Peter Miller on 23/11/2019 11:31:16:
Posted by Michael Adams 3 on 23/11/2019 11:11:46:

HI every one, this morning I have heard that Amazon are now going to use Drones to deliver their goods,

I wonder how this will effect us or not at all. I suppose they will still use vans if the address is near an airport.

Thoughts please.

Mike.

As there are rules about how close to houses drones can fly, will amazon drones deliver to a field outside my village and will there be safe drop off points n the middle of parks...or are they exempt from the 150 meter rule?

Can't you imagine some less honest persons hanging around the drop off point and grabbing the goodies if no one is there to collect it...and is the person collecting really the addressee.

I have a favourite quotation

"Those whom the Gods seek to destroy, first they make mad"

And my prayer "OK, so you have sent them all mad. Now please get on with the destruction part!"

Yes they will be exempt - the rules and the code allow for anyone to fly outside the normal restrictions - for most of us it will be a polite no, but go with a compelling reason, as most commercial operators will be able to give (even if it is just money).

But they still need to do it safely. UK presents a real challenge for this and for the likes of driverless cars because our country is so compact and so densely populated and the infrastructure has grown pretty randomly.

Just realised one thing that irritates me a little - that the scheme is called registration rather than licence to operate - call it what it is rather than play with words. The objective is described as to create a register of operators and pilots - if it were just registration, then you would only have to do it once, and pay once and possibly for any changes in circumstances. Having to pay every year makes it more like a licence to operate scheme rather than a registration scheme.

Cheers,

Nigel

Focusing on registration and testing is to miss the point.

International standards (FAA plus EASA and others) for Air Traffic Management, including low level airspace are on the way.

Remote ID of UAV's is required by the drone industry to enable autonomous operation beyond line of sight and over people. Remote ID is part UTM (unmanned traffic management, U-space in EASA speak).

We can scoff about feasibility, we still have to somehow accomodate model aircraft within it.

there's been a few fired up posts and answers on this thread the past week.i think we all agree,that we agree its a bit of a bind having to pay extra dosh and take a on-line test,but to stay current we must do it or be seen to be breaking the laws as such....I still maintain it came about due to the silly people doing silly things without any regard to anyone else with the new bit of tech(drone's) and even more so FPV. so as well as us/we suffering the government had to do something.and a register of all rc model pilots is the start....and hopefully the end.

if there are any wasters who see fit to do what they shouldn't - at least there will be a way of tracing them...

please don't take it that i'm fore or against or even wearing a hat in a particular camp...only my ne..1. thoughts.

ken anderson...ne...1..thoughts dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 23/11/2019 13:05:51

I don't agree that Amazon should deliver by drone, and wont be selecting that option (assuming it will be optional!).

At first I thought it was totally impractical and unsafe -for children and pets particularly, and for many homes it still will be. But this is how I speculate they may do it:

-You as householder identify a secure(?) open area in, say, your back garden using "what3words" App (which I think is a 3m square) or similar

-The drone then comes and hovers over that spot

-The parcel is then lowered by winch (just as done in the wilds of US and Australia), then released

-The drone then buzzes off

-The rest is in the homeowners hands, I guess you'll get a text/email to say it is delivered

If it is impractical for your property for whatever reason, no doubt you will be charged more for van delivery...... you can smell it coming! frown

(Apologies for going off topic!)

I've never argued against the principle that the beneficiaries of the registration exercise should foot the bill - perhaps the realisation of who they are might be becoming more obvious to those who haven't been following these threads too closely over the last 3 years?

Edited By Martin Harris on 23/11/2019 22:15:42

In other countries drone deliveries of medicines are currently being made to central areas outside communities. The bulk deliveries are then then distributed, by hand to the individuals. We are talking large drones here not to be confused with the DJI Phantoms of this world,.Again, off topic but drone deliveries are a reality.

Posted by Ron Gray on 24/11/2019 07:28:51:

In other countries drone deliveries of medicines are currently being made to central areas outside communities. The bulk deliveries are then then distributed, by hand to the individuals. We are talking large drones here not to be confused with the DJI Phantoms of this world,.Again, off topic but drone deliveries are a reality.

Yes, of course they are, but not in the way that they will replace the fleets of minimum wage drivers with 150+ deliveries (I usually ask a courier when they deliver to me what their work load is) of boxes of all sizes, shapes and weights to complete in a day. Never going to be mainstream to the general public, total garbage, always a gimmick. Imagine the furore if and when (because of security worries) certain post codes are considered off limits - A bit like the accusations taxi drivers had levelled at them when they were alleged to be refusing to take passengers to certain inner city areas for fear of robbery.

Yes, all sorts of emergency service uses etc etc and I watched a fascinating programme on Yesterday Channel last week about SS slave labour camps on Alderney in the Channel Islands. No excavating of the site was allowed, but a large MR drone using LIDAR stripped away the overgrowth of many years to reveal amazing detail.

Edited By Cuban8 on 24/11/2019 10:33:16

Posted by Steve J on 25/11/2019 10:04:46:

ORS4 1324 has just been replaced by 1332 which is valid until the 23rd February.

So BMFA members are now exempt from registration until 23 Feb 2020?

All those BMFA members who rushed ahead (against advice) and registered already have un-necessarily paid for 3-4 months of worthless registration?

"Yes they will be exempt - the rules and the code allow for anyone to fly outside the normal restrictions - for most of us it will be a polite no, but go with a compelling reason, as most commercial operators will be able to give (even if it is just money)."

Certified category, CAP 1789, comply with that and legitimately overfly habitation and close to people.

Certified for all the same reasons full size operations are certified, of course.

"All those BMFA members who rushed ahead (against advice) and registered already have un-necessarily paid for 3-4 months of worthless registration?"

If you paid the BMFA £9, you are not yet registered.

The BMFA registration will happen en masse on the 31st Jan.

Although as the exemption date changed, perhaps the BMFA registration date will also change to match.

Edited By Nigel R on 25/11/2019 11:01:14

Posted by Steve J on 25/11/2019 11:13:25:
Posted by Martin Harris on 25/11/2019 10:57:32:

Curious expiry date - anticipated processing time for the bulk upload?

That was my reaction, but I'm a bit worried if they think that it will take them three weeks to sort out the bulk import.

Maybe they are just being cautious. Its the first time anything like this has been attempted, and in view of the recent chaos in a number of high street banks when they've "updated" their systems, I don't blame them!

--

Pete

if yo have BMFA A or B or any other organisations recognised schemes you dont need to do any online test

so me personally has registered via LMA paid subs this covers the £9 and as i have their profficiency and a bmfa b number will arrive new year,

dun no panic no pain yes

cp

Posted by Peter Christy on 25/11/2019 11:46:45:

That was my reaction, but I'm a bit worried if they think that it will take them three weeks to sort out the bulk import.

Maybe they are just being cautious. Its the first time anything like this has been attempted, and in view of the recent chaos in a number of high street banks when they've "updated" their systems, I don't blame them!

--

Pete

There may be some time built in for postal delays if some members don't use email and an allowance for label making..? It certainly more than covers what was going to be a legal black hole over the first weekend or two in February.

Posted by Martin Harris on 25/11/2019 12:48:00:
Posted by Peter Christy on 25/11/2019 11:46:45:

--

Pete

There may be some time built in for postal delays if some members don't use email and an allowance for label making..? It certainly more than covers what was going to be a legal black hole over the first weekend or two in February.

Spot on Martin. This is only to cover the processing times and getting OP id s back to members. You need to still have registered through the BMFA by 31st January to be included in the bulk upload.