CAA registration take-up?

Frank Skilbeck

I'm a bit of a loss why we (in the community of model flyers) give one jot about how the CAA have marketed or promoted their scheme.??

I will go along with it but I have no interest in making sure that anyone else does. It is useless legislation and the sooner it is seen to have failed and be withdrawn the better

Advert

Posted by Colin Carpenter on 17/01/2020 10:32:10:

We must all be asking the same question? Where have they all come from bearing in mind I thought there were only 40k of us old farts flying!! Colin

It will include all those who use a drone for work, such as estate agents, the emergency services, civil engineers, councils, schools, farmers, etc.

We must all be asking the same question? Where have they all come from bearing in mind I thought there were only 40k of us old farts flying!! Colin

Don't forget that the majority of BMFA members who have chosen to register through the BMFA have yet to be included in the CAA figures as the BMFA is not due to submit our names till after 31 Jan 2020. So, by the end of Feb there is bound to be a big increase in registrations. I think the SAA, LMA and FPV(UK) are also treading the same path as the BMFA.

I think all you lot need to get a life, I just think a lot of you if not most lead a very very sad life as professional keyboard warriors all day playing, Mr policeman, Solicitor, Politicians And the mr do gooder, Now Lets simplify all this,

Go to CAA website,

Register

Take test

Print docs off

Go fly

Lovely sentiments Steve, but it's easier than that:

-Tick box on BMFA portal when rejoining to advise them to register you,

-Don't take test as already hold a BMFA cert which is recognised by the CAA as proof of competence.

-Wait until CAA email with the operators number.

-Carry the pre-printed exemption notices that the BMFA kindly supplied in the last BMFA news.

So it seems you have over-complicated things as well as been insulting!

Posted by stevejet66 on 17/01/2020 17:50:43:

I think all you lot need to get a life, I just think a lot of you if not most lead a very very sad life as professional keyboard warriors all day playing, Mr policeman, Solicitor, Politicians And the mr do gooder, Now Lets simplify all this,

Go to CAA website,

Register

Take test

Print docs off

Go fly

Aw Steve, your no fun.

What have you got against the BMFA ?

Regarding your last comment, I would love to, but due to all those Americans eating cows and digging up fossil fuels (as well as other people), we have had very little opportunity in my area to do so for the last year or so. currently it seems that the only time we have dry weather and the wind is low is during the hours of darkness !

It's interesting that the latest copy of RCM&E has an article about model boats. There hasn't been one of those for years ! There again you can sail boats when it is raining, or a bit breezy (and you don't need to take a test to say that you are aware of the rules - even if you haven't read them).

cheeky

No - there are 40k old farts who have voluntarily joined UK clubs and associations.

There are many more old farts out there who did not see the need to join clubs and associations, but were happy to fly in their local parks without insurance etc. They were doing nothing wrong and were flying quite legally.

The law has now changed and they want to carry on flying legally. £9 is the sum total of their annual outlay to keep the law off their case. I have spoken to a number of them in our local park and they consider £9 a small price to pay. It's not a big deal to them.

Posted by Steve J on 18/01/2020 09:59:25:
Posted by stevejet66 on 17/01/2020 17:50:43:

Go to CAA website,

Register

Take test

Print docs off

Go fly

I agree. The BMFA should not have got involved with DMARES.

Why not ?

Does it involve model flying ?

Does it involve education to do with model flying ?

Does it have the potential to improve take up of our declining hobby ?

I am asking questions, not making a statement.

If the answers to any of them are yes, then of course the British Model Flying Association (no acronym) should show an interest. Most of the members (other than those who join for the cheap insurance) would agree, but there again. "What did the Romans do for us ?"

Isn't the point of the organisations getting involved to distance "serious" modellers from the "buy a drone and fly it down the street" brigade? It would appear that the CAA have been sufficiently impressed by the attitudes and competencies of them and their individual members to grant several exemptions and concessions.

Why would the CAA allow the organisations to collect registrations on their behalf unless it was of some benefit to them? Working with, rather than against or despite the regulator must add to the relationship.