Most flown model

Steve Colman

I once had a old hack. Much patched and repaired, and fuel soaked. Don't do the log book thing, but it's got to be well north of 200 trips. I had decided to break It up for it't bits.

Last session, the wing fell off. It speared the earth, smashed it's new motor, smashed the receiver casing, dented the (life) battery, and broke 2 servos.

Foamy Acrowot, no doubt. I'm on my second one, dumb thumbs saw the demise of the first, couldn't live without it so immediately bought another. This one has 320 odd flights to its credit so far. Flys in all weathers and I never go flying without it. First flight of the day to make sure my thumbs still work and then at least another half dozen batteries full of electrons to inconvenience. Lovely manners, not a single vice anywhere. Love it.

David

My 'go to' plane, Artech Wing Dragon Sport is now 10 years old and still flying although it has been rather heavily modified over the years so only the moulded fuselage shell and glass fibre tail boom are original.

FlapVtail.jpg

Although I do still have all the original bits including the brushed 480 motor but the 9.6 V 1000 mAh NiMh is long gone.

Well i have no idea just how many flights i have had with this one .

Needless to say it goes out every time i go to the flat field . It flies in all weathers easy to pack in the car does not matter if the grass is long, wet or muddy. I just put a battery in it and go fly the pants of it .

new depsipa.jpg

I like it so much i have built several of them. I have a new one waiting to be painted so i will never be without one.

Steve.

My enlarged Cruiser has seen a lot of air time and has plenty left too, even flown with ski's off snow. On the fixed wing side I have an old kit built WOT 4 that is well flown, being a fixed wing it is not as exciting to fly so has been hanger bound since playing with autogyros. Must blow the dust off the old bird this year.

fb_20170719_22_19_43_saved_picture.jpg

My Dads old Majestic Major, built in the 1980s, was until recently powered by a Laser 75, but the bearings need replacing so now on a Laser 62. Was originally on Fleet radio and servos, but I lent the model to a clubmate some 15 years ago and he changed the servos to work with his radio, when I got it back I flew it on a 35mhz MPX Cockpit Sx, which it's still flying on today. The airframe is tatty but all original, I could refurbish it but want to keep it original.

It gets used on Air Cadets/Scouts/Cub sessions and for anybody who wants to have a go, including our local MP, as it doesn't do anything quickly, wirelessly buddied to a 2.4 GHz MPX Royal Pro.

My MicroMold Lark!

Originally a present from my wife for Christmas, 1974! Although many bits have been replaced down the years, there's enough original bits left to qualify as "original"!

I think its now on its 8th engine! (Lost track a bit, down the years!)

For a number of years, I flew it flybarless, without any electronic stabilisation:

Still going strong 46 years on!
laugh
--
Pete

The one plane that goes with me whenever I fly is a Bogey, a heavy gauge black Correx combat job - It must have survived over 8 years of exuberant aileron-elevator flying by now -- you can bend it, but it won't break! - a 2820 turning a 12" folder on the front, battery (2200/4S), Rx, speed controller and servos all hanging out in the wind - but it still goes like stink - if it's too windy for anything else to fly at our field, there'll still be one or two Bogeys in the circuit. Yet if you wish, the Bogey can potter about as slowly and gently as any of the Club's vintage models - and then land at your feet. Oh, and it'll slope too.

2m Dalotel maidened at the 2000 RCME freestyle event using an OS 90FX. Useless for it so it went up in the loft until I got a YS 110FZ. Brilliant now and it is usually chucked in my van on every flying session. Finished in the CPLR psychedelic scheme with car aerosols. This is now cracked all over (probably due to incompatibility with TufKote) and looks a real mess but it has always been my favourite. Best retro F3A I have ever had and when I eventually kill it another will be made. The rudder servo is still the original Tower Pro (copy, £2.99) mg digi and is accurate and faultless.

Rather than one “most flown model” I think I can say I have four! That’s my Chris Foss collection. They can handle almost any British weather with ease . My Wot4xl is in use now as with big wheels and OS120ax it’s like a tractor and takes off and lands with ease even with the very worst runway conditions. I also have a Wot4 mk3 with air brakes that can also handle nasty wind and short take off and landing. The high wing planes pick up much less mud when it’s wet! My small Acrowot with its laser 70 always “comes along too” in the summer as it’s so much pure fun, a bit like a little sports car! For “laid back relaxed summer flying” I use my Wots WotXL with Laser 155 which is great fun. That has also done many flying hours.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 31/01/2020 07:19:23

My most flown (and best loved) model is my original OD Taboo design which featured in the Feb 2012 issue.

I've lost count of the number of flights but one memorable one was when a tree was closer than I thought and my Taboo flew head long into it...... I can still hear the sickening sound of splintering of balsa!! The fuz was wrecked back to the wing TE. One wing was split in half and the other had a damaged LE. I managed to collect as many bits as I could and rebuilt it, using as much of the original as possible. It's still going strong. This shot was taken just a few weeks ago!

dsc_5658 (2).jpg