Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

Advert

Posted by Chris Walby on 11/11/2020 13:29:53:

Hi,

Hope you don't take this the wrong way, but IMHO I am not to sure if the nuts and screw head might cause point loading and possible stress failure over a period of time. Perhaps not too much of an issue if you check the screws every time you head to the flying field.

Do the blades normally sit in a recessed back plate that supports the blade fixings

Chris my prop shims or as Paul calls them "Posh Bits" helps, as the prop blade is flat this increases the contact area and spread the load , It's a flat channel with shoulders so the blade will locate nicely, in case you need to replace a blade I am supplying a spare so 5 in the pack. I will also be flying with these and am confident they will work just fine but you guy's will be using them at your own risk. I am sending Paul a set of Posh Bits so I hope he tries them.

Edited By Glynn on 11/11/2020 14:32:29

Posted by Glynn on 11/11/2020 14:31:41:
I am sending Paul a set of Posh Bits so I hope he tries them.

Edited By Glynn on 11/11/2020 14:32:29

Whaddiya mean a Set of Posh's bits...!!!!!

David.... you finished yet?

Anyway going back a step to the flaps...

I hope this might clarify a few details.

Again this might/should be different on the production models.

When the torsion bar is finally fitted after sheeting, fitting hinges and covering the flap. It needs to be located CAREFULLY.

Before you sheet and a small piece of 1/8" sq balsa as a backstop to make sure of the correct pivot point.

This is where, on mine, the bar needs to be to work correctly.

more tor details1.jpg

This shows the torsion bar side on and you can see how with the flaps deployed will rise into the radiused cut out.

My one has extra cut out as it needed correcting. The white squiggley shows how the back of the 'bat handle' has to align with the pivot point.

more tor details2.jpg

To aid this I added the balsa strip to help location later.

more tor details3.jpg

Edited By Paul Johnson 4 on 11/11/2020 16:40:56

I have pretty much sent out all of the Mustang kits that were ordered . But I did make a handful more , just to make it round numbers .

I would rather let them go to other users of the forum rather than put them on our website . So if anyone is out there just watching and feeling that they would have liked to be part of this project , then Pm me .

Hello Geoff . Ive sent out about 35 which are all of the people that came back and confirmed their details . We did have about 45 hands up , but you will always get some shout outs who dont follow through , To be fair , it took a lot longer to develop the P51 due to the weird conditions this year . I know I will have sold all of the Mustangs before Christmas as this type of kit is simply getting very rare now .

I suppose it brings us back the same old thing . Almost all of the people I sent stuff to , I have dealt with before . Great , there is mutual respect , but ultimately the same gene pool . That in turn makes it hard to justifying future development . The P51 could have gone badly wrong for me as the workload was epic and thankfully justified . But if you wind back to the part of this thread where people were arguing over subject , the P51 didnt really come up till right at the end . But when it did , loads of hands shot up . However , up to that point the shouts for Tempest /Sea fury and others completely suppressed the P51 guys . Consequently I could have done the same work and sold 12 kits .

The way things are , with so few traditional modellers left , I clearly have to do as much to substantiate numbers as possible before taking the giant leap for modelling kind. At the same time it is essential that builders recognise that fact ,before making all the noises about a future "dream" without following through ,.

That will simply kill the golden goose .......Quack.

Richard, I love your attitude to our hobby, it harks back to a gentler time. I received notification that my Mustang was with the courier and on its way a couple of days before any mention of my paying for it. You are a brave man!! I think we all appreciate the effort that goes into producing any kit, let alone ones of this quality, and it is a huge commitment on your part to embark on such a mission with no assurance that we who shouted for it would come through. I do not think it would be at all unreasonable of you to ask a "deposit", a gesture of good faith, for any future projects. If you were, say, to contemplate a Mosquito and 15 people stumped up £50 a head plus a large bag of Haribos (refundable if it did not happen, not the Haribos, obvs) then you could at least weigh up the feasibility based on a guaranteed number of takers. Might mitigate the risk a little?

David

Hi Richard happily received my Mustang a couple of days ago thank you. Not to well at the moment so she will stay in the box for now plus I,m building the Tigercat which is a long job still i can Mustang day dream ( I like the idea of covering it in sheets of super thin Ali to mimic the real paneling )

Martian, i hope you have a quick recovery,. My P51 D. kit arrived yesterday and like you I was thinking of ali. covering. I remember one American claiming the Mustang was the greatest due to the ease of replacing battle damaged panels as they were easily formed without special equipment. Mine will probably be covered with brown paper as I did with the Spitfire and Ju88.

Paul be careful, a paper hankie is easier to throw away than washing a pair of underpants.

Received my parcel from Richard yesterday as promised. All that I have read about the quality of Richard’s kits was confirmed when I opened the box. It is excellent. Well done Richard.

Now semi-retired, I am back to real balsa bashing after a long lay-off. So I am a happy newcomer to the Warbirds fan club. smileysmiley

Looking forward very much to getting started on the P51 but it will be in January after finishing another kit.

Posted by Paul Johnson 4 on 12/11/2020 17:37:41:

How times have changed....

I can remember pretending to cough when I farted...

Now after this damn Covid-19....

I fart to cover up my cough...

My Missus has that problem Paul, trouble is her timing is completely off, I am buying her a metronome for Christmas 😳💨💨💨

Posted by Nigel Dell on 12/11/2020 22:11:35:

Paul I like to live on the ragged edge🤣

Rich I have tried that but to no avail, something to do with the condenser I think😈😂 come to think about it she reminds me of your Kwacker starting up 🤭👍🏻😂

Give that man the DFC and Bar (well at least a pint) for outstanding bravery.

Meanwhile, I am working my way towards assembly of the opposite wing so talk amongst yourselves for a while...