How much have you spent on modeling in 2020?

Paul Marsh

Bought a Pheonix MP Chipmunk to build during peak lockdown, cost around £150 with motor, etc, servos etc. Having finished and flown that, bought an FMS BF109 because I fancied one, and flying had started again. That was about £280. I also spent about £30 on a couple of high C lipos for my TN Provost.

I recouped £160 by selling a couple of other models to make room, so net spend so far this year is about £300, and that will probably be it apart from a few odds and ends, and some wood for a winter project.

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 06/08/2020 13:47:26:
Posted by Brian Cooper on 06/08/2020 11:52:12:

Hey, it's a hobby. . . Who keeps exact records of the expense? surprise

Me, otherwise i risk spending beyond my means!

I have a credit card card (mostly used only for my online purchases) but I arranged for it to be paid off in full every month by bank direct debit. It's the only 'finance' I ever use. I run my 'financial affairs' such that there is both always enough in the bank to pay both this, monthly stuff such as council tax, and for the bank's magic money machine to pay out up its standard daily limit.

Toy planes this year? The only expenditure I've made in 2020 is a Warbirds Spitfire kit at £159, which I probably won't start until October when the river trout fishing season ends. I've got enough model; 'stock' such as glow fuel, glue for repairs, frequent day to day flying, build the Spitfire to 90% complete, etc already and it was all purchased in 2019 so I don't visualise any further expenditure. Far less than usual but I've got too many planes already.

Early next year? A Laser 70 for the Spitfire if you've got it in stock at the time I want it. If not OS or the landlord of the local pub will get the money .

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 08/08/2020 02:09:26

Some replacement parts and building materials, as for instance a motor and speed controller. And a second battery charger as my son took one of my chargers-well I gave it to him. And I found 2 speed controllers when I went through all my stuff, one 60 and one 80 A, both new... so there was no need for a purchase....

So all in all below 200 ( well there is the Chinese 450 flybarless heli on order, will be another 250...)

I would say reasonable if we consider the year is already 8 month old.

Compared to previous years the project to provide a new workshop and storage area means this year's modelling spending would probably be more than all of the previous years combined, but who's counting. Just entering the final stretch with the benches to go back in and the final electrical fix and power up. It was 80% plus finished when the lockdown came and halted the work, but hoping that next week will complete it.

Posted by cymaz on 08/08/2020 08:21:28:

I’ve bought

• DLE30, Steve Webb Models
  • Another £200 on bits for the Giant Mannock
  • Club, BMFA,LMA fees

Although spent nothing on the cost of going to fly at shows. That’s about £800 - £900 year.

Almost a thousand pounds on your hobby! surprise

A lot of people will wince at that figure but when one thinks about how much we pay out for what I suppose you could call annoying necessities e.g insurances, council tax angry, car repairs etc etc that easily run into many thousands every year and TBH from what I get no gratification whatsoever - then a few hundred quid doing what you like is understandable and justifiable. If hobby expenditure means that your kids don't eat or your leaky roof doesn't get fixed then maybe it's time for a rethink.

My own expenditure on modelling this year is under a hundred quid.....a couple of gallons of fuel by courier, a couple of new Lipos, some spare servo gears and that's about it. Only had two flying sessions though! Funnily enough, I think the break has done me good and the opportunity to do a few other things that interest me is refreshing. I'm not going to worry too much about flying this year, I'll go when I get the chance and the time away has given me the opportunity to rethink a few things about how I enjoy the hobby and how I'll be continuing in the future.

In terms of models this year I've added half a dozen airframes and unstarted kits from swapmeets and online sales, plus one of those Warbirds Replicas Spitfire IX kits. When the P-51B kits are ready I have my name on one of those too.

Given the way that prices are going for those funfighter and slightly larger foamies and the short shelf life that so many of them have, I do try to pick them up when I see them -likewise for spare parts, which get rarer every day.

"A bargain is something that appears to have a value greater than the asking price.

A real bargain is something that appears to have a value greater than the asking price and you have a use for it."

Quote from a book I might just write entitled "Yorkshire economics". The problem is that the only people who would read it are the ones who don't need to, so they wouldn't buy it !

smiley

• Thanks 1

)Posted by Cuban8 on 08/08/2020 09:23:09:

I’ve bought

• DLE30, Steve Webb Models
  • Another £200 on bits for the Giant Mannock
  • Club, BMFA,LMA fees

Although spent nothing on the cost of going to fly at shows. That’s about £800 - £900 year.

Almost a thousand pounds on your hobby! surprise

A lot of people will wince at that figure but when one thinks about how much we pay out for what I suppose you could call annoying necessities e.g insurances, council tax angry, car repairs etc etc that easily run into many thousands every year and TBH from what I get no gratification whatsoever - then a few hundred quid doing what you like is understandable and justifiable. If hobby expenditure means that your kids don't eat or your leaky roof doesn't get fixed then maybe it's time for a rethink.

My own expenditure on modelling this year is under a hundred quid.....a couple of gallons of fuel by courier, a couple of new Lipos, some spare servo gears and that's about it. Only had two flying sessions though! Funnily enough, I think the break has done me good and the opportunity to do a few other things that interest me is refreshing. I'm not going to worry too much about flying this year, I'll go when I get the chance and the time away has given me the opportunity to rethink a few things about how I enjoy the hobby and how I'll be continuing in the future.

That’s the cost of Travelodge, fuel, food and maybe van hire. We try to do Woodsprings, Much Marcle and Wings and Wheels. Also a Greenacres weekend. Those events are a long way from deepest Cornwall 

Thats our holidays....we have no others. And spend no money on a foreign break.....if we do then there is only enough money for one show.

Edited By cymaz on 08/08/2020 19:20:40

Edited By cymaz on 08/08/2020 19:22:13

• 9 months later...
On 08/08/2020 at 20:20, cymaz said:
)Posted by Cuban8 on 08/08/2020 09:23:09:

That’s the cost of Travelodge, fuel, food and maybe van hire. We try to do Woodsprings, Much Marcle and Wings and Wheels. Also a Greenacres weekend. Those events are a long way from deepest Cornwall 

Thats our holidays....we have no others. And spend no money on a foreign break.....if we do then there is only enough money for one show.

Edited By cymaz on 08/08/2020 19:20:40

Edited By cymaz on 08/08/2020 19:22:13

I know this is a last year's thread, but what a good idea making a holiday from RC airshows!  I wasn't sure whether to go "all" the way from Sussex to Essex for W&W but you've inspired me.

Some would say far far far too much, after a 22 year or so break.

Balsa is expensive, so is solar film etc..

Fuel next purchase ( probably about £100 in the end but some more diesel would be good ) then a treat, new basic Futaba 6 channel and extra Rx, and a radio link £70 job with 2 RX's.....

Anyone want to buy a 1 1/2 scale Vic Smeed searider RC boat complete, 27 meg ?

Funds will go into aeromodeling....

33 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Some would say far far far too much, after a 22 year or so break.

Balsa is expensive, so is solar film etc..

Fuel next purchase ( probably about £100 in the end but some more diesel would be good ) then a treat, new basic Futaba 6 channel and extra Rx, and a radio link £70 job with 2 RX's.....

Anyone want to buy a 1 1/2 scale Vic Smeed searider RC boat complete, 27 meg ?

Funds will go into aeromodeling....

Put your boat on ebay Rich.

Boats bring silly money compared with aeroplanes on there.

I am blessed. I’m an old fart, married to an very slightly younger fartress.

I do bits for my hobby.

She does bits for her hobbies, note plural.

Dickens, David Copperfield, Mr Micawber applies.

There are no pockets in shrouds.

• Like 1

I never add up my hobby expenses.  If there's enough money in bank and we're not starving then fine.  It won't be all that long before I'll be needing a shroud and, as Don says, they don't have pockets.

I've built quite a few pedal cycles in the past - singles, tandems and trikes.  Some from frames I had custom built, so not cheap.  I never added up the cost - they cost what they cost.  I didn't always choose the very best components but always decent stuff - especially the tandem.  Sailing was pretty expensive, too.  You could walk into the chandlers and walk out with barely a handful of small parts and £50 worse off - and as for a new suit of sails!

I don't regret any of it. 

• Like 1

I sold my house in Houston, because I couldn't maintain it at a distance during Covid. I gave the entire contents to charity and all my model planes (at least six) and all the RC equipment, which were in the house, to the model club I belonged to in Houston. So that was a write-down of just the modelling stuff of several thousand dollars. Here in the UK I have spent a bit, buying several replacements!

Almost every hobby has some cost but aeromodelling could be one of the cheapest if you are economical.   Minimum cost is 9 pounds for over 250 gram models!   ( CAA fee)  Plus of course BMFA and club subs.   Spending lots on fancy models doesnt necessarily mean more enjoyment.  

To those who say they attend shows instead of having other holidays I would say make sure your wife or partner is equally happy.    Remember what happened to Fred Dibnah!   ( he went to traction engine rallies, she eventually tired of that and had a holiday abroad......divorce etc etc!  All documented on TV as a warning to all men! )

My wife and I have an arrangement that we split our "spare" money. Half goes to doing family stuff, the other half gets split between us 50/50 for hobbies. If that means £100 or £5, that's all we get. Last year I spent about £300 but £150+ of that was selling other things. 

The next few months will be trying to save up for the next planned build. £300 or so is probably chicken feed to a lot of you, but its a big mountain for some of us. 

• Like 2